8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Solved! - Odd thing about Raynox dual projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Solved! - Odd thing about Raynox dual projector
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2016 10:18 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently won this standard 8mm / Super 8mm projector which goes well,a bit noisy maybe!
It plays both 8mm formats and easily changed with a rotation of a switch and it projects up to 22fps - which is close to recommended 24fps for Super 8mm.
So I'm asking myself why is the reel holder for the full film have the large hub which is too big for Standard films?
Seems strange unless they weren't intended to play Standard 8mm films?
Any thoughts?
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Thijs de Kort
Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2016 03:34 AM      Profile for Thijs de Kort   Email Thijs de Kort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as i can find the adaptor sleeve can be pulled of and replaced. The regular 8 axis is beneath it.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2016 05:39 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh,I will look into that tomorrow as its midnight here in New Zealand when I've seen your comment.
It didn't come with the instruction manual unfortunately.
Cheers.

--------------------

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2016 09:22 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see how to remove the outer (super) hub to make it a standard hub ....
Help please!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 28, 2016 09:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clint...It's more common than not on dual 8 projectors that the takeup is for a Super 8 reel . Since Reg. 8mm fits on a Super 8 reel the same reel can be used for both formats without the need of an adapter.

Here are just 3 example from the projectors I have:

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2016 09:39 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true Janice except .....
this is the hub that the full reel goes on :-)

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 28, 2016 11:25 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Clint...I didn't realize "the full reel" referred to the supply reel. That is very odd. Perhaps someone modified it...because I see where Van Eck sells adapter sleeves for that projector. So it must have originally been Std. 8mm.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2016 11:43 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's OK Janice ... I've been collecting for years but couldn't think of the right word for the supply reel.
I tried giving it a gentle pull but it's not budging.
I noticed it has a red dot on it .... oh what could that mean! :-)
I've posted on 2 Facebook pages to see what someone might know :-)

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2016 02:56 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a cine magazine did a test review of this machine that covered this point. I'll have a look through my old ones, but I am out all day today.
Anyone know about when this machine went on the market?

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2016 03:11 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It came out 1969-70 according to ...
http://www.van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&size=0&cat=film&merk=137&type=DU%20707%20TC

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2016 04:04 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did have time to check 1971 but no test in Movie Maker (they weren't always quick to test depending on importers to offer a machine to test) I will try Film Making tomorrow.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2016 05:49 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I found the review in Film Making (the earliest issue I have, no less) and the Hubs for the reels look completely different to yours, with fold over levers to hold the reels on and a collar to add to the Standard 8 hub for Super 8spoolss. I have put a scan from the magazine below. Perhaps someone has changed the entire hubs since it was built.

-

Very puzzling.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2017 06:17 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to a fellow film collector named Si who saw my post in this forum and Facebook messaged me,I was able to remove the Super 8mm hub to reveal the standard 8mm hub.I used a thin edged screwdriver and gently leveraged it from the base and it lifted off.I don't think it can be removed by hand in my case.
It might've taken nearly 9 months but eventually I got the answer.
Thanks Si :-)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC