8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Carrie" 400ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Carrie" 400ft
William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2016 10:50 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi just wondering if anyone has a copy of this and can answer me a question regarding it. I am wondering if they left the dance scene at the prom with Katie Irving song I never Dreamed in it. Cheers guys and thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 13, 2016 12:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah a bit of it Will but you would need both 2x 400 extracts to be certain you have the one with it in as these were scenes in random order until you assembled it all correctly yourself.
A bit like an Airfix kit of films! Ha ha

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2016 12:12 PM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to find me the 2 x 400ft then [Smile]

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2016 01:07 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Andrew is correct. My version came on a very full 600' reel with both digests already cut together in the correct film order, so I wouldn't be able to tell you which of the two 400' digests has the song. Happy Halloween!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 13, 2016 01:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
First time around in the hobby, I got a pair of the 400ft releases from Derann's used list that were completely uncut and as released by Derann.

I have no idea now which scenes were on which digest. It was after all, over 23 years ago when I bought these.
I did the required editing of the combined digests, as most people did back then, to get all of these scenes in correct order to make a kind of mini feature.

It was a contractual agreement made between Derann and UA that allowed the release of this mini feature but only so long as each digest was a selected scenes release only.
Had it had been a 2x 400ft release of the film in the correct order that Derek had insisted on, it would never have been consented by United Artists.

This time around in the hobby, I have managed to find another print. This time it was already joined in order on one reel before I purchased it.

Colour varies a little nowadays from print to print.
Some are going a little brownish while others I've seen, still look reasonably good for their age.

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2016 03:24 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that each extract had to be self-contained so could be view on their own and still have a beginning and an end. Even more hardship for the editor.

I bought this on release and re-edited so now have no idea what was in each part.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2016 07:03 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was the "prom" digest and the "mom" digest. I don't believe the one focusing on the Piper Laurie scenes would have had any of the prom scenes.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 14, 2016 08:56 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I literally went to "Carey High School".

-other than the Sissy Spacek character it was basically the same movie!

Fortunately I transferred to a technical high school before we got to that scene in the gym!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 14, 2016 05:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim's or Carrie White's school Steve? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Ok Ok, I know it's a double "R" Te he

Just don't call her Cassie, either way!! Arghhh

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2016 05:53 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slight off topic, but yes, the contract with UA only permitted self contained 400ft releases - but the editor also happened to be a reviewer in the super press at the time and handily pointed out that he just happened to noticed that such extracts could be re-cut into longer versions - who'd have thought??

The most notable example being the 3 x 400ft releases of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn - which just also happened to be the editors favourite film! [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 15, 2016 08:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2016 08:50 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie extract #1 (The clamshell box has the original one-sheet illustration with the two pictures of Sissy Spacek)

This is the extract that contains the song you are looking for William. This would be the digest to look for and contains most of the key scenes of the movie.

The second extract focuses on Carrie and her mother. This digest contains many intense scenes as well, but for a stand-alone 400 foot version the first one works better.

I believe there is a full review under the review section.

James.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 15, 2016 09:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The digest you speak of James, gives the audience most of the action scenes from the movie while the other one, gives us most of the background story.

It really does only work well as a mini feature when both are put together in order.
Otherwise, without first knowing the movie, most of these action scenes wouldn't make a great deal of sense.

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2016 01:56 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, my copy is from Derann pt. 1-2 (at least its in the clam shell derann cases) however it looks like the film stocks are different, reel 2 says "part 2" at the beginning but ends with "end of pt 5" do you know how many different versions were made of this title?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 17, 2016 02:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 2 Jim.

--------------------

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2016 05:31 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"End of part 5" probably refers to the fifth reel of the complete feature film and the scenes chosen for that particular digest were taken from reels 2-5. Some of my Ken Films digests have "End of part 8" or higher, since the feature length film run time was close to 3 hours. I hope this helps.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 18, 2016 06:36 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I bought my (already edited together) print, I closely checked it to ensure that I agreed that the editing had been done correctly. While doing so, I was convinced that a particular scene, which I think has a conversation between two students in the school library, had been placed out of sequence (without splices) in the 400' that it had come from. I assumed the editor may have felt this helped the flow of the digest, although moving the scene to the same position within the feature would have been problematic. If I'm right, it's the only occasion I'm aware of when a scene in a 8mm digest has been taken out of sequence, although I don't suppose it was the only time this happened.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2016 09:44 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember one awkward splice. There were two different parts of one scene in reel #1 and reel #2.

Here's the scene: After the locker room scene in the beginning, Carrie is taken to the principal's office. Two different parts of that one scene are on each reel. It's a tricky splice to make it work well.

"We're all sorry, Cassie!"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC