8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Replacing Beaulieu 708 EL Arm Friction Washer...Again! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Replacing Beaulieu 708 EL Arm Friction Washer...Again!
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 17, 2016 05:10 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Less hassles, less fun also David!

At least with one of these, one of the major headaches of being a film collector is completely eliminated! [Wink]

After reading your other post this morning David, you take it easy pal.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2016 08:06 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Andrew.

No more lugging about heavy Fumeo or Elmo GS 1200s projectors for me these days.
Definitely no more 16mm / 35mm either.

Film collecting can be bad for your health at times ! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 03:08 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, my home cinema set up is using JCV D-ILA projection, with two Blu-ray sources, a Toshiba XDE upscaling DVD spinner and full digital surround sound (and that's just the basics...)

Yet, I still love and cherish my super 8 films and projectors.

In fact, sometimes they are a reality check...just to see again and again how good these films looked and sounded 20 - 30 years ago before digital...

I love that this and other like-minded forums exist, because otherswise, quite frankly, I reckon this hobby would have become so insular by now.

I'm so happy that despite the obvious progress in movie capture and presentation a like-minded bunch of enthusiasts and knowledgeable people around the globe still care about film and are able to so easily communicate.

This, together with the other valued forums, are what keep a hobby like ours alive.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this thread, and I very much look forward to all of your valuable help in the future.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 05:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great words spoken there Rob and I too love the forums for knowledge sharing and for enthusiasm sharing.

I am truly indebted to all of them for the wonderful people I've come into contact with as a result of these.

Long may they live and the people who use them! [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2016 04:20 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob that's the great thing about today.
We can still watch movies from both the analogue and digital
sources. Both have their Pros & Cons though.
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]
I partly agree about the hobby in danger of becoming "insular"
if it were not for the forums.
However I still think it would be around regardless of the
internet. It was there in pre home computer days and I know many
others who are getting along without it.
There are a lot of collectors out there who don't have a computer or are forum members. They use good old fashioned phone calls and
letter writing , magazine adverts in order to contact others.

Film Forums can have a "negative effect " at times and attract
some real parasitic assholes who think they "know it all " as I found out
this year. It kind of took away the "Magic" of Reel Film Collecting for me.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 20, 2016 05:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine who you are referring to there David! [Big Grin] [Wink]

I personally think the forums are pivotal for info sharing to enable there to be yet even another few decades of enjoyment still, from our machines.

As said recently, the guys who we associate in the hobby as being "the professionals" in the repair game, are now down scaling their operations as time moves along.

This era represents the very first era where in the not too distant future, we are literally on our own!

If you read Rob's sentiments earlier surrounding his own perspective on the importance of the forums, they mirror my own.

We would be lost without them where those active still in the hobby, venture next. [Smile]

It's going to take a joint effort of everyone's pooled knowledge.
You have vast amounts of experience in this hobby David, so I hope you join us all in sharing all that you have learned over the years regarding your machines well being and film preservation tips etc.

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2016 09:37 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahahahahaha !!!! Andrew cheers for that. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 20, 2016 10:44 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am pleased I somehow managed to amuse you David! [Wink]

--------------------

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2016 02:02 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very much a sweeping statement regarding scaling back. Speaking to quite a few such professionals of late I do not see evidence of this. They are enjoying a steady flow of business!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 20, 2016 02:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Simon, I have spoken with one such person who, yes is still very very busy, but not necessarily to do each and every job and it is also true to say another has already tailored their activities to omit certain jobs.

None of these guys will be able to serve us all indefinitely.
Then, it will be down to the next generation of vintage mechanical and electronics repair experts, if there are any, or ourselves of course.

[ November 20, 2016, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2016 09:29 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and if there are not any repair men and we cant do it ourselves there it will all end.

R.I.P ... hahahahahahaha !!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 21, 2016 10:43 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That'll never happen David,.. not in my lifetime anyhow! [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC