8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » On the move... but not yet!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On the move... but not yet!
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 05:45 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well guys, the paperwork is going through, Solictors have been informed - we've sold our dinky little terrace in east London and found a lovely place in Worthing. Still a terrace but quite extended with two more bedrooms in the loft and a rear extension for a large kitchen diner. We probably won't move until January but the good news is the garden is very long and Mrs. Stu has given approval to the Shed Cinema - hooray! I'm hoping to utilise the full width of the garden, which is roughly 18 feet. next I have to work out what width I need to be able to have an impressive 'scope throw from a 38mm lens on 16mm and of course super 8mm. I've actually got a huge perforated screen sat in a box here which was rescued from an Odeon, so I might actually be able to cut that to size and mount speakers behind it, my only concern being that the perforations may be too intrusive for what is likely to be a pretty small screen area. I'll also need to work out motorised masking, and full set of curtain tabs.

Couple of thoughts: planning regs state a maximum height of 2.5m, but is there anything to stop me digging down a couple of feet making the internal height larger, giving me the ability to rake a couple of rows of seats? And if I do that, would I be looking at having to build using brick only? Or could I have a few layers of brick, finished with a traditional wooden shed? Just thinking about the costs of course.

Well, as they say "there's many a slip 'tween cup and lip" so it could all go pear shaped tomorrow. But fingers crossed give it a few months and I'll be inviting you to the latest lunatic obsession!
[Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 05:52 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stuart,

i have a designated cinema room that is the "Den" which was part of our double extension - but im having the final touches to a brick shed built in the garden - as my daughters drum kit is in the "Den" at the moment - but as the shed will be finished next week - the Drum Kit will be moved into the shed and my Den becomes a cinema room again - Super 8, 16mm and LCD projection

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 06:35 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I'd be very interested to know the size/cost of your brick build, perhaps via PM? Apologies if it's not info you're comfortable sharing.

Peter Harrison
Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 06:58 AM      Profile for Peter Harrison   Email Peter Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Build it in breeze blocks then clad it in the most Steptoe & Son-esque wood you can find (complete with faux rusty nails and silicon fiber cobwebs) in order to up the wow factor as your audience steps inside.

More seriously, if you do dig down you may want to do an extra course of bricks surrounding the building up to ground level so that you can apply some kind of flashing over it that decreases the risk of water penetration.

As far as building regulations go, I personally have no idea (having just done what I was told during a former life working for a national house builder). Hazarding a guess, digging down and supplying the building with electricity might make it a greater flood and subsequent electrocution risk or something like that.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 08:10 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are putting electric underground I recommend using plastic duct the type used for sinks should be OK. If you can guarantee to keep water out you might get away with standard T&E cable otherwise armoured cable. Depending on power requirements I would suggest 4mm or 6mm cable, bigger if electric heaters are used and voltage drop needs to be taken into account too.

You will need an RCCD to protect the circuit too and in the shed a consumer unit (metal)

• 6a Lighting
  • 32a Sockets
  • 32a Projectors
The only reason suggesting two 32a is to separate the projectors.
Voltage Drop

This might be a better link

Doncaster Cables.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 08:16 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is all fantastic advice. Thanks.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 09:41 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ill let you know next week when all finished

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 11:55 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, you anywhere near Aberystwyth? I'm often up that way for family. (Mind you, is anywhere near good old Aber? [Big Grin] )

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2016 03:47 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, you anywhere near Aberystwyth? I'm often up that way for family. (Mind you, is anywhere near good old Aber? [Big Grin] )

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2016 09:49 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stuart,

im near Caerphilly in South Wales just over 90 miles from Aber

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2016 11:29 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to stick my oar in but don't use indoor pvc sheathed cable underground. Get proper armoured cable and put in the right duct so it's protected, easily removable and won't be mistaken for a water pipe.

--------------------
Paul.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2016 11:40 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stuart. Have you considered using a portable building on re enforced concrete base? In my area this allowed the height to be a bit more than 2.5metres. My cinema is in a cedarwood chalet 24ft long and 12ft wide. The floor, walls and ceiling are all insulated.
The screen has variable masking with widths from approx 5ft to 9ft 6in widths. The throw for cine projectors is just over 20ft. Video projector, an Epson is ceiling mounted, sort of! is about 18ft. It has quite a wide ranging zoom lens. There are some shots of the cinema when I first built it, some 10 years ago, in one of Keith Wiltons "Armchair Odeons" DVDs. I did all the electical wiring myself having first had the house fuse box changed to one using RCDs. The power cable is in plastic tubing for the short distance from the house to the building at above head height. I addition It also has a rain cover to keep the plastic tubing dry. Hope you find this information helpful. Ken Finch. [Smile]

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2016 02:40 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, sounds like a good idea. Was your chalet pre-fabricated?

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2016 12:09 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart, yes. I ordered the building from a portable building company and had the concrete base laid to the size specified. The building was delivered and erected by the company and I did all the rest myself. It took a year to complete as all the interior construction parts were purchased from B and Q, Jewsons or Screwfix. I did use a fair amount of recycled bits as well. For example the curtains are driven by car windscreen motors via an old car battery charger and the curtains were made from redundant ones from our previous address. Seating is a redundant 3 seat settee and initially f0lding "Directors" chairs but these have been replaced by 12 seats purchased cheaply from the old Marlowe theatre in Canterbury when it was demolished and completely re built a few years ago. The projection ports are small double glazed windows scrounged from a friend who was having some rebuilding done. Fortunately I was a Technical Studies teacher and my Dad was an electrical and electronics engineer and I learned a lot from him, so I do know what I am doing. Most of the time anyway!! ken Finch. [Smile]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2016 10:54 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add. My dad's shed supply is 3 core armoured cable direct in ground with glands each end. My shed is ducting (gray) about 2.5 inch 3m long sealed at both ends with 4mm cable standard internal it is water tight. Both are laid under a permanent path. Up to now never a problem.

RCCD must be fitted.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC