8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Pictures From CineSea 14 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Pictures From CineSea 14
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 10:34 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Time for some images...you know the drill:
I'll post up to the forum limit and then someone just add a quick response post so I can continue; that way we keep all the posts in one long thread.
-------------------------

As CineSea goes on, some patterns emerge. Gary Crawford and I drove up together as usual, and we arrived on Thursday, as did Doug Meltzer. The extra time is well worth it, to be able to settle in and go for a walk, weather permitting.
Wildwood has different moods, depending on Spring/Fall and whether we arrive before/after everything is closed. This time, it was Fall/after closing. Sun, wind and 70 degrees greeted us, along with Shelley and the crew at the Ocean Holiday.
 -

There is a certain "Carnival of Souls" quality to the boardwalk after the season :-)

-

That quiet, however, also underscores the feeling that we are truly there "on a mission."
On a drive around town, we visited an "old friend", the historic Sea Theatre. Sadly, the place is not in great shape, after flooding and not being used. Several options were discussed, including crowd-funding to help the theatre. If anyone has ideas, please post them here; it's a worthy cause for cinema history.

-

-

Meanwhile, back at the hotel, the room was waiting. It was time to get to work setting up:

-

------------------------

That's for starters; more to come.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 29, 2016 10:56 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,

This was one of the most enjoyable shows ever for me. I can't wait to relive it through your photos.

Excellent Carnival of Souls reference!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 02:14 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come Friday, the work began. Doug had gotten black tablecloths from EBay, which worked well as window covers:

-

We're trying to do serious work, but someone always has to clown around! (Well, since the 20th was Bela Lugosi's birthday, Gary is excused...):

-

Time to introduce a member of the "CineSea Long-distance Club": Mr. Jason Smith (with Jack Cleveland and Gary C.) originally from Texas, now living in Japan, had been to the last show. He liked the experience so much that he flew in just to be here again!
(Those are not lollipops they are holding; they are the elastic fasteners for the big screen....)

-

Up it goes; by now we put the screen in place from the start to make things easier when switching to the evening's feature screening:

-

Lou Franchetti and Lou, Jr. arrived to get their tables prepared:

-

The early bird gets the film, right?...no early bird beats Gary Sloan, here inspecting Gary Crawford's offerings [Big Grin]

-

Gotta advertize: here's the official banner of CineSea, to be hung for the duration. The gent on the right is Evan Samaras from N.Y. who collects and does photography:

-

---------------------------------------

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 02:24 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures again clause, always look forward to them [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2016 03:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to see you back on the job again, Claus!

(Where'd you find that guy that did it last time?!) [Wink]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 06:04 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Claus, by the way as of this posting I am still working my way home; as slowly as possible and enjoying a wonderful road trip.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Gerald Wayne Boss
Junior

- posted October 29, 2016 07:23 PM      Profile for Gerald Wayne Boss   Email Gerald Wayne Boss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy, it was great to see you again.Also, Gary Crawford stole the show with his antics and as Groucho. I had the greatest time, and everyone else did, too. it is a great bunch of people, and dinner at Alfe's was awesome. Cannot wait for the Spring edition! Bravo.....Ten Stars rating.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 07:24 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the big screen, we had, as per usual, Doug Meltzer's Elmo GS-1200 Xenon and, for 16mm, Gary's Bell and Howell Xenons. Gary is chatting with CS regular Todd Tuckey (who brought his wife and daughter as well):

-

More familiar faces gradually appeared.
Shorty Caruso with Laurie and Doug:

-

Guy and Geoffrey were, as always, a welcome sight:

-

It was time for the Friday Night Feature:

-

By vote on the forum, "Aliens" had been selected, provided in a nice low-fade 16mm print by Lou Franchetti. With sound going through a mixer into a pair of powered JBL PA speakers, no one missed any nuances of the soundtrack!:

-

-

Our inflatable mascot, the "AiryFlex", had place of pride along with one of many cups of coffee consumed that week-end:

-

---------------------------------

More to come.....

Claus.

[ November 02, 2016, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Claus Harding ]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2016 08:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let it be so!

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 10:51 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like another great gathering, excited to see more, thanks Claus.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 12:40 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With things well underway, there was plenty to look at.
Doug Meltzer's tables were filled with both film and his "museum", but this time, the exhibits were also for sale:

-

The 'GS-1200'of editing viewers, the big Goko. Mixing capabilities built in...one lusted after that one in the magazine ads :-)

-

Say hello to our Chief Engineer (well, why not..) and his son, Steve Klare and Steve, Jr. This gentleman is getting away with having his Super-8 projector ON HIS DINING TABLE SEMI-PERMANENTLY!!!!! Obviously, there are some things the rest of us married folk haven't figured out yet :-)

-

Gary Crawford goes "digging in the crates":

-

...as does Steve Jr. who always brings his 200-footers and his trusty Yelco silent projector and sets up in a corner. Looks like he's found new titles:

-

Joe Vannicola was back with his 16mm setup:

-

...and on the screens, beautiful images lit up the room:

-

---------------------------------------

Claus.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 30, 2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great photos once again Claus and nice to see the superb 8008 up for grabs there. A brilliant editor for Super 8mm film.

Very nice PA system used there also for the Aliens feature.
I can see it looked superb but I'd also imagine the sound was on an equal par with that set up!😊😊

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 30, 2016 01:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In all fairness, it's really not "projector" but usually "two", and a mixer, and during the holidays even more!

-my wife would shrug...maybe say "Keeps him off the streets!".

She has a great time at CineSea herself: I'm sure it helps ease the pain!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 30, 2016 01:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant stuff everyone, that editor would be nice [Smile] great to see everyone enjoying themselves...good photos [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 30, 2016 01:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They are the very best Super 8mm editor money can buy Graham. [Smile]

Just don't expect synchronized recordings from them though, over lengthy runs of film.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 02:00 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe "Shorty" Caruso, friend of John Black (who started all this) had a nice table with R-8/S-8 shorts and historical memorabilia:

-

Read this box carefully. Shorty was trying to pull our collective legs with a "rare reel of behind-the-scenes footage" (well, it would be nice if it existed...)

-

Some beautiful boxes on Joe's table. I believe some of these may be pre-made titles one could buy to insert in one's home movies:

-

John "Mr. Espresso" Capazzo was back, with projectors, films, coffee and donuts (nice Chinon, BTW.)

-

-

Gary C. had brought a lovely 16mm print of "The Lodger" with Laird Cregar, real "film noir":

-

...and over by the Franchettis' station, 16mm rolled all day:

-

--------------------------------------

A few more to come...

Claus.

--------------------

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 02:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done guys john would have been so so proud the way it went so proud of you all [Smile]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 30, 2016 04:16 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Johnny is proud - Look how far we've progressed
Claus is the best, truly, a top-notch technician - Shorty

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 05:45 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
joe, did todd tuckey film it all?

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 10:25 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A big hug and 'thank you' to Simone, who has been our guardian angel when it comes to arranging Saturday night dinner reservations for this hungry horde. This time she outdid herself; pics further down.

-

Dave Ruth and his sister came and browsed, and they wound up with a complete S-8 feature from Guy Taylor in addition to the horror extract seen on top.

-

Meanwhile, in the "heavier" end of the room, 35mm was being examined:

-

Joe Griesbach is our go-to for bigger vintage gear, and he brought this beautiful console-style RCA 16mm unit. Audio amp in the base, machine on top....a smart combo that looked and sounded great:

-

Here's what made this special: Joe had replaced the carbon rod assembly with an LED lamp! It ran cool and easy, with not even the heat filter being necessary if you felt like removing it.
With further tweaks, he hopes to put a stronger LED into the machine. Truly the best of old and new, for easier projection:

-

Our travelling friend Jason brought Elmo gear with him to sell, including a batch of lenses. The 'little guy' that's number three in the row is the legendary 1.0 Elmo Zoom:

-

Also, the original Elmo swing-out scope-lens mount. First time I have seen one of those...

-

There was plenty of interest all around. Here's Gerald Boss, Guy Taylor and David Boland browsing:

-

-------------------------------------

I'll wrap it up next time....

Claus.

--------------------

Dave Ruth
Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 10:31 PM      Profile for Dave Ruth   Email Dave Ruth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lol that is me and my 17 year old sister Claus (I'm 29!). Great picture though!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 10:47 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, thanks for the correction! Duly edited in my description above. I Wish I'd had a chance to talk to you both; maybe next spring...

Claus.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 31, 2016 08:34 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Thank you so much for coming. Hopefully next time you both can join us for the group dinner.

Clyde,
Mr. Tuckey is editing his video as we speak!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 31, 2016 10:08 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Ruth's sister is holding MY 200' Frankenstein edition - Ah, me - Shorty

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2016 03:25 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic pics. What a great time.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC