8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Gullivers Travels in low fade?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gullivers Travels in low fade?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 07, 2016 11:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a fairly common super 8 animated feature, lots of prints out there, but also lots of faded print.

Did this one ever make it onto low fade film stock?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2016 05:34 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only seen badly faded prints myself. Chances are, any low fade prints will be on 16mm or 35mm.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2016 05:36 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall even Derann's prints weren't up to much due to a faded master.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 08, 2016 11:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Derann's prints were made in the 70's, that's very possible, as they didn't have, in large part, low fade stocks at that time. I had a Derann print of "Hoppity" from back then, on Fuji film stock and it had faded to a purple mess ...

But I was most happy when both Red Fox (agfa) and Derann later reprinted Hoppity on L.P.P. ...

so therein is my hope that this will be on L.P.P. [Smile]

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2016 01:51 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Derann catalogue with "The Little Mermaid" cover, which is in the Agfa/Rank printing era, it is still in there with a note saying "Taken from a brand new neg!". I would assume that if any were ordered then they would be on low fade Agfa stock, so keep looking.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 08, 2016 02:02 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that the French company Film Office released different extract and that the colours are not faded : http://www.bd-cine.com/fiche.php?id=12929 But it is only a compilation of different extracts, it is not the complete cartoon.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 08, 2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Note to Brian and Dom on this one here, though very rare as I doubt many prints of this title were sold in the era Brian refers to, I have seen photo shots of one print that looks every bit as good for colour as any other later Derann print.

Therefore at least a couple, in the condition you describe are out there somewhere!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2016 06:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Fuji colour print of Gulliver's and the colours are quite good osi

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 09, 2016 11:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're fuji has held up well then! [Smile]

From a brand new negative ... that's interesting. I wonder if it was from completely new source material. If someone has one of these later era Gulliver print, even if you don't want to see it, could you please put up some screenshots!? We'd love to see it.

I'm glad to hear this! I'll keep a lookout for it then!

--------------------

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2016 03:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya OSI don't know how to put pictures on am a novice to this

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 12, 2016 11:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send a e-mail to the magnificent Doug Meltzer ... if he can't make it clear, no one can AND if necessary, I'm sure that he could help you put them up ...

I look forward to seeing you're shots!

--------------------

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2016 02:34 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a LPP Print from Reel Images complete with the Paramount Logo. Preprint was 35mm IB Technicolor. I also have a B&W NTA Original in 16mm with "A NTA Release" in place of the Paramount Logo. So though rare, there are a few Low-Fade reductions out there.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 12:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! to actually have one from that kind of source, Joe, is quite rare! Being that you have two copies, it must be a rather prized film in you're collection.

I have heard that most of the Gulliver super 8 prints are slightly truncated versions of the feature, mostly missing footage from the first half hour of the film. Are you're prints the complete editions?

I ask as, I have two versions of Hoppity Goes to Town, both are low fade. The Derann L.P.P. version is the shorted by about 6 or minute version, where the Red Fox Agfa print, (from a much earlier and better negative source), has that extra six or so minutes.

Therefore, any "complete" Gullivers?

... and, who put them out and are they on low fade stock?

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2016 02:05 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure yet of the running time as we have been out of the country and away from the films recently, but the colour on the print I recently bought from Rake Movies is excellent and on LPP stock, printed by Derann in the early 1980s.

Here are three screenshots the sellers used to indicate the colour quality on their Ebay listng:

-

-

-

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 18, 2016 02:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful Derann print yet again there Kevin. [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 19, 2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to see that print! Thanks for sharing.

--------------------

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2016 08:11 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot say with certainty that my color print of Gulliver's Travels is complete. I will have to view the print again. The reason I have two prints is simply because the B&W NTA Original was available first. I bought it because it was an Original Print at a very good price. Canterbury (spelling?) Films used a 35mm IB Technicolor print but a review mentioned it as being splicy. At that time the color saturation made up for it. De Maio Film sold prints as having the Paramount logo but I do not know if the preprint was 35mm as it could have been tacked onto a 16mm preprint. I remember reading that when NTA made color prints of Gulliver for television that they were printed with the red less saturated.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC