8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blackpool Dealer List & Agenda

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackpool Dealer List & Agenda
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 13, 2016 05:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr David Guest, organizer of the forthcoming Blackpool Film Convention next weekend, requested these photo's of information surrounding the event, be posted here.

So here they are, hope these help and are of interest to all those attending next weekend. [Smile]

-

-

-

-

That's a bit more like it! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2016 05:41 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Andrew well done

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 13, 2016 05:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 13, 2016 08:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a fabulous looking program and venue! Can't wait to see some pics and video.
What is a 'High Intensity Discharge' lamp? Is it the same as an HTI lamp, as used on John Clancy's GS1200?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2016 02:09 AM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can answer your query there Paul, as I personally modified both projectors in question, John Clancy’s projector has a brighter 250W lamp, (Osram HTI 250) Bobs machine mentioned on the Blackpool info uses a Xenpow HID150, (150w) a very useful lamp as it will fit in a standard projector lamp holder, and has a very good light output, both lamps require a special power supply.
Full spec on these lamps can be found on Google.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 14, 2016 02:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, on of a scale of 0-100% in terms of Brightness and whiteness, please could you rate the following for me...

1/ Osram Xenophot 15v 150w standard halogen lamp
2/ Xenpow Osram 150w H.I.D. lamp
3/ H.T.I. Osram 250w lamp

Many thanks in advance Bill. 😊

No rush whatsoever Bill in replying to any of this my friend, whilever you are busy! 😊😊

[ November 14, 2016, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2016 09:39 AM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not easy to put a figure on it Andrew, the HTI and HID lamps give a much whiter light which adds to the brighter effect on screen, it must be double the light of a 150watt halogen lamp, what I will do when I do my next HID mod is to take readings with a light meter, I know a lot of people have carried out the HID mod, at least here in the UK, maybe someone has already done this test with a meter.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 14, 2016 09:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill.

I look forward to hearing back from anyone who has! 😊😊

--------------------

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2016 10:27 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
interesting, just as I was in panic mode about getting more lamps for the GS, all sounds great for the future of film collecting.

Great looking presentation for Sunday, can't wait, the last 28 mins of Where Eagles Dare sounds brilliant.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2016 05:21 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill is the very best at projector repairs and modifications. I trust my Elmo machines to nobody else except Bill; I do no adjustments at all, leaving it all to Bill, except cleaning the gate! This has meant that I have an exceptionally reliable set of Elmo projectors.

On Friday, at Blackpool, you will be able to see how the HID 150 lamp performs with 16mm. There will be converted Elf & Bell and Howell projectors, so across the whole weekend you'll be able to see for yourself how these lamps perform across gauges & machines.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 15, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Strong words of wisdom there Simon except to say, Bill is someone I speak to fairly regularly myself.
He is already encouraging individuals to learn a little more about their particular machines as Bill will inevitably take on less and less workload as time passes by.

It is for all to learn much much more about their own individual machines to stand any chance of maintaining what you currently have in terms of performance and service levels.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2016 12:28 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would be interesting to know the measured colour temperature in Kelvin of these various lamps.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 15, 2016 12:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
White im informed Rob...very very white! 😆😆

(H.I D. And of course the scorcher of them all...the HTI)

--------------------

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2016 01:08 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they do sound like the Garlic Bread of projector lamps, 750 hours lifespan WOW.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2016 03:47 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Andrews question on here, in my measurements, with the gs and beaulieu projectors, a standard hid lamp is as bright as the gs, almost the same figure with my light meter, in a like for like at the screen measurement, but the hid lamp was blue white, the gs lamp 200w looked less white more straw light orange, because of the kelvin colour rating difference. The beaulieu was brighter by a considerable amount in numbers, I say this because to my eyes it did not look any brighter. The colour was not as white though as the hid lamp. These are not bills hid lamp or power supply design, or as bright, but you would need a separate supply, but you may be able to run this off the gs or any other projector transformer, I would need to speak to bill about this maybe, but I know how busy he is, so its little project I have been looking at that would not cost a fortune either to convert in parts. This gets me back to a much earlier request for blown ESC LAMPS for this project, which only one person responded to on the other side. I'm not sure what the gs owners do with there blown lamps, have you found a use for them when they expire ?.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 15, 2016 08:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The ones I was referring to Paul were those with a seperate power supply in the form of a ballast.
Working then, very much as a video projector does where it takes some time to obtain full brightness levels.

Downside then being of course, this is far less than an ideal arrangement for cine projectors.
Especially when showing 200ft shorts! 😅😅

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2016 01:18 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the same principal Andrew, just the lamp is not quite the same design, but still use's a ballast to ignite the lamp and there is a small pause to get it to brightness. The whole kit would cost less than one of those lamps cost, with some tinkering you could use the existing transformer to drive it, you may even be able to house it within the body of the projector, I haven't quite got that far yet though.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 16, 2016 01:23 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting Paul, and for exhibition purposes one day maybe, I'd like to convert one of my own machines to these H.I.D lamps with a separate ballast, but certainly for my home viewing purposes the model I have with the standard Xenophot lamp and a moveable shutter, is more than bright enough already, so it would never be this machine I'd convert.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2016 04:01 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the soap powder, its gets your whites whiter !!!!. The beaulieu is brighter than the equivalent GS, but the these new xenon gas discharge lamps are something else man, you see a different colour film when watched with these lamps.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 16, 2016 04:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I would enjoy the effect and I have also now a standard machine (twin track), with the standard 3 blade shutter, so this one would certainly benefit over time so long as I didn't have to fit any extra noisy cooling fans.

Two small computer fans exhausting some of that hot air travelling vertical could easily be incorporated into the lamphouse where the easily removed dual louvred vents currently are situated.

If this could work out ok, then with a separate ballast in a plinth built so the machine could sit on top of it like the HTI does, then it would be a goer for me. [Smile] [Wink]

Perhaps a powerful 1U digital amp could easily be incorporated into the ballast plinth also, for exhibition hall usage?

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC