8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » JAWS 2X400ft WOW!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JAWS 2X400ft WOW!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 26, 2016 11:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just acquired a 2X400ft print of the JAWS digest from the UK, and I am absolutely FLOORED by the color! I have never seen a Universal 8 digest with this saturated and perfectly accurate color! The markings for the digest (the film stock) is ....

Eastman (then two little "squares") 30 safety film

... and then backwards, in even smaller print, "EKC-35"

I do know that eastman kodak was tinkering with thier film stocks as of this time, before L.P.P. and there were some stocks that were low fade, but just not marked as L.P.P. and I'm just curious as to whether this might be so, but the color is just magnificent on this print and I'm very happy!

One curiousity though, and it's something that i have personally never ran into on a Universal 8 digest, there is a printing glitch about halfway through the part one that lasts about 6 frames and then a little color fluctuation for about five seconds, but I'm not complaining, this digest is a keeper!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..... and it is one hell of an edit, wouldn't you agree Osi ?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2016 12:58 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Marketing Films 400ft of Chinatown is EKC-32 in those small letters. The colour is good but not as good as yours seems. Sounds like they were on their way with my one, but not there yet.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 28, 2016 11:29 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I do consider this 2X400ft digest the best Universal 8 digest ever as well as either the best or tying with the best ever digest put out by anyone, period!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 04:50 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universal 8 2x400 were well structured makes you wonder what they could have done with 3x400 format. Jaws is a good edit but is it the best? The Sting is a contender for complex story condensed superbly. Slapslot and Smokey and the Bandit both mindless entertainment seem to manage to cover their entire uncomplicated stories in the 2x400 edits. They even managed to make an awful movie like 1941 slightly more bearable although at 35 minutes it still was a pain and it does have a Jaws reference!!!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 29, 2016 11:08 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that digest! (1941), but I wasn't really impressed with it.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 29, 2016 11:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The Jerk was ok also,.over a 32 minute period! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Sailed through the story no problem, and was mildly amusing in parts as I recall.

It'd certainly look a little dated now though thinking about it.
What with the Optigrab and the in built Discotheque. Ha ha

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2016 08:32 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will definitely agree with you Osi that U8's JAWS is the best-edited 2x400 digest that was probably ever released on S8.

Even more impressive, as far as editing, is the 200 foot digest of the same title. Amazing how well the story is told in 10 minutes, as well as containing many classic iconic scenes.

Andrew- Spot-on comments about The Jerk [Wink] . I got that digest on sale in the 80's and basically bought it for my wife, as she was a huge Steve Martin fan. Having never seen the movie myself, I thought they did an excellent job telling the story, and I enjoyed the comedy in it as well.

"He hates these cans! Stay away from the CANS!!" [Razz]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC