8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Close Encounters of the Third Kind feature (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Close Encounters of the Third Kind feature
Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2016 02:16 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long shot but i'll give it a go. I have always been curious has to how many own a copy of the feature, I do but would any of you guys come forward and say you do, I doubt it make much difference now as to whether the official numbers match what the actual count is, or will it be like the "x " files, where the truth is out there -----.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 27, 2016 02:24 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunatly i dont Paul, but i cannot believe i never bought one when i could, i watched this in the cinema 17 times when it was released. Several times i sat through the afternoon matinee and stayed for the tea time performance.
I suspect this would demand a nutty price way out of my range now,(and why not as there were only around 20 produced) Derann jumped the gun & sold copies before being given the go ahead by Columbia, they had to retract the sales or face losing the rights to all other Columbia 8mm titles they were doing. Hence why other titles in one of there catalogues didn't see the light of day.

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2016 02:50 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul, I don't mind telling you I have a Derran full length copy of
Close encounters, You're Right it would be interesting to know how many copies are out there, I 've heard say 10 copies and then 12 copies and
even up to 20 copies ?? who really knows?.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 27, 2016 02:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I know of one other collector who has a print of this for sure besides yourself and David here.

I wish it was me but sadly this is not the case. [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2016 04:16 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, two copies with Andrews known copy 3, Robert Tucker certainly had one earlier on in the year so perhaps 4, maybe he could confirm this. I read it was 20 David, but didn't Derann print side by side copies ?. So if we have 4 copies, that's 1/4 to David's quote, just 8 more to find.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 27, 2016 04:45 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my print in 2004. At the time I was told there were 10 prints in existence.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 10:07 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug. I now hear it could be as many as 26 copies !!!!.My count is now a tentative 6 copies, anyone else want to come forward, its a bit like the Elmo count we were doing some months ago but a lot less numbers, be good to find all these owners.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 11:08 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were these prints all cinemascope or flat, or a mixture of both?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 28, 2016 11:27 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there are ten copies as of when Doug bought his, then there is at least 11, as I have a copy, but my copy is NOT the Derann release! It's a super 8 scope feature, but it's the 1977 version and not the 1980 re-issue "Special Edition", (which is great as well).

There has been much speculation as to exactly WHERE this 1977 version actually came from, and i don't think we'll ever really know, but it's on low fade film stcoks as well. here is a link to a youtube video of some of the last reel that I put up on, well, youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSct449Ygh4

BTW, my apologies, when I did this video, I must have had the the speed at about 26 or so seconds, a little fast. The sound on this print was very good as well, though mono.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of three copies of Close Encounters in Northern Ireland.

One collector is now dead I am not sure if it was resold or son kept collection.
Another copy the collector sold up to go digital print was offered to me but not my taste I believe it was either sold on to another collector or exchanged with Derann for DVD projector.

The last print is still with a film collector who is still active.

There is definitely more than 12 around. A lot were pre sold to collectors before the title was widely announced. The exact figures will never be known realistically who is going to publicise they have title. It was also rumoured you could still get the title after Derann ceased to supply if you were prepared to pay.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 01:39 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike. Why would it be shrouded in secrecy after 40 years is beyond my comprehension really. I would have thought the collectors would have been proud to say they had a copy, maybe that's just me. So that's 9 + osi's odd ball one, from a source truly out of the unknown. Well it was 3 Sunday night, were up to 10 now, that's a good response I think, keep um coming guys.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 03:33 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul , I would suspect that some of the collectors would stil be worried about declaring their ownership because of copyright. The reason why Close Enciounter didn't continue to be an official release was that they didn't have copyright or rights to issue and they received stern instructions from either Columbia or Spielberg's lawyers to discontinue , return all negatives and prints. Whether they had to pay compensation who knows. I think there was also a warning do this again and we will be back to bankrupt you and try and see if we can get you some jail time. The prints that got out were a bit like the Hardy Kruger film " The Ones that Got Away" Rumours always circulated that our European cousins who seem to be the only real source for negatives these day could supply a print but with striping and English conversion it may be in the same price range or more as the much talked about well worn Terminator II .

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 03:44 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Mike. So if any one wants to pm if there worried about a knock on the door please do. I imagine the film companies would be more busy chasing the real pirates and boot legers of dvd to be interested in a few copies of this film, but I guess if they can make an example of someone they would.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 04:13 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I would totally agree with you in the points you stated but the same thing could have been said when the 8mm release was issued yet they came down hard. Creative ownership more than the money involved would seem to be the issue.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 04:55 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued Mike, did Derann seek retrospective permission to print this after they had made the necessary negs to print from and run them off first, because ifs that's the case, I'd be pissed off too, or was it the work of a jobsworth ?.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 05:04 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul from what I was told I think they thought they had a deal with Columbia to release and were fine. They were open about doing it and advertised the release. The Spielberg element seems to have created contractual problems and that caused the issue.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 05:37 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike, that explains it now.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2016 02:37 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding of it is this...

Rights obtained from Columbia to issue super 8 prints (so they are perfectly legal). In fact it was a huge coup at the time. They were openly advertised and shown at Blackpool.

Rep from Columbia pays unannounced visit to Derann (or the lab) and sees 16mm prints are being struck from the 16mm negative...

End of Columbia contract... naughty, naughty [Eek!]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 29, 2016 02:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it's a shame that occasionally we hear of stories where trust has been broken with these things.

Had greed not had reared its ugly head at times, I'm certain a completely trustworthy arrangement between any two parties, would have paid higher dividends overall.

Well certainly for us lot now,it may of done.

Still, we can't grumble I suppose. [Wink]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 29, 2016 11:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHHH, but we can cherish finding those rare prints, eh? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2016 12:33 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Osi, we can celebrate finding those rare prints, as long as you don't own up to it. I thought I was clear about this, and now Rob throws a swerve ball in, are you saying rob that the film are legal to own on super 8, but no permission was given for the 16 mm print to be made, and so any prints from the negative must be destroyed?.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2016 01:12 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Paul, the super 8 Derann prints were legal as far as I am aware.

Film for the Collector ran at the very least full page teasers for it (I'm away this week, but can look this up and post next week).

Derann presented this feature (the special edition version) at one of the spring Blackpool film fayres.

Certainly this was not the same approach as selling the "import" or "specials".

It was very much advertised for sale.

And they certainly had a Columbia deal at the time.

So, my sources tell me that the reason this totally legit release fell apart was indeed because "knock off" 16mm prints were also being produced...and they were found out.

End of deal.

Actually, the consequences could have been much worse.

I know some people "in the know" can back me up here, and since this matter was settled between Derann and Columbia, and the former is long gone, it doesn't really matter any longer if anyone cares to add to this discussion...but suffice to say that your super 8 Derann prints were purchased in good faith and are safe.

The only reason the legit super 8 prints are limited is because the big D were naughty boys and had the plug pulled.

BUT, now, if you have gone to the trouble of producing a 16mm negative for a super 8 release of a big James C movie and then the distributor which you have the deal with goes bust (hello, "Carrolco")...do you bin the neg or print some "imports"...???

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 29, 2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Film for the Collector ran at the very least full page teasers for it (I'm away this week, but can look this up and post next week).

Derann presented this feature (the special edition version) at one of the spring Blackpool film fayres.

Yes, I'm holding in my hand right now the March 1990 issue which has a full page ad, selling the Stereo Sound Version at £346.99.
In the same issue is the advert for Blackpool and the "8mm World Premiere" for the film.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 29, 2016 01:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
What number is that one Michael, I will see if I have a copy?

Somewhere around 18 - 20 I'm guessing??

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2016 01:39 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew its FFTC # 15. [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC