8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Close Encounters of the Third Kind feature (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Close Encounters of the Third Kind feature
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 29, 2016 01:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, most kind. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2016 01:48 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew no bother at all. Your welcome. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 29, 2016 04:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here was another Paul, don't know if Kevin still has it or not of course?

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002113

I suppose it is possible this one has now been counted in already given the time lapse since then.

It is highly possible it may have changed hands?

I am summizing Osi here, got a hold of his print sometime afterwards

Derann or otherwise, I am certain we would have been made aware if he had it back then. [Wink]

Still working weekends Doug BTW? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

[ November 29, 2016, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2016 02:25 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Michael for looking that up.

I was certain it was an official release!

That original version that Osi owns is certainly a rarity though; personally I much prefer the original edit to the special edition.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 01, 2016 11:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought mine from a private collector and since I didn't know of any other super 8 scope features of CE3K, I naturally assumed that it was one of the rare Derann prints (I paid 500.00 at the time, that was a period when i had a LOT more cash at my disposal! [Smile] )

... I was totally floored when it turned out to NOT be the Derann scope feature, but the original 1977 scope feature.

There has been a good deal of speculation about where this print came from originally. One guess is that it's one of the "oil Rig' features that were printed for lads out on, well, oil rigs!

Barry, at one time, many years ago, also had a complete scope feature of "Superman" (late 70's first feature film), in his shop, and no doubt, someone is holding onto that feature like gold, as it is also no doubt, quite rare, perhaps the last one of it's kind in existence!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2016 01:15 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
Iv.e got a copy of the full feature of superman I . I was informed that a certain number of super 8 prints of this were made for the producers of Superman and were given to VIP guests at the American premiere of the film way back in I think 1978.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2016 01:27 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great story David, a great find in your goodie bag at any premiere, sadly I never get an invite.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2016 01:31 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Osi, it's an unofficial bootleg, I'd rather have the special edition. Assuming Derann had access to the original 35mm negs.

I do find with any Super 8 release unless it's been sourced from the original studio neg. And not a neg made from either a 35 or 16mm commercial released print. The quality varies, along with the colour pallett.

I think Jason & The Argonauts was also in the Columbia deal. Now I wonder if the number of prints circling could be similar?

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2016 01:35 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I did hear that director Richard Donner ordered several super 8 scope prints for the "production team" at the time of release.

Fascinating...how is your print???

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 02, 2016 11:45 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is fascinating!!!

I had heard the story of it potentially being a "oil rig' print, but I wonder if, perhaps, Speilberg might have done the same thing for those involved in the making of the film, CE3K?

Perhaps it was an official, unofficial, requested short run of prints?

I don't know if I'll ever know, I'll just cherish it! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2016 02:45 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Jason and the Argonauts from Derann. Great print.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2016 01:42 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,
my scope print of superman is still in pretty good fettle still plenty of colour, a bit of negative sparkle here and there its on 5 x 600' reels sounds not quite as loud as my 6 reel version but clear enough, the scope format does make it better though.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 12:30 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was waiting to tell my story. I bought this off of Ebay Germany and was recorded in German and mounted on 1000 foot reels. I watched the whole thing in German then had Lance re-record back into english after I got a DVD of the special edition. It is one of Derann's very best releases. I do miss the part where Neary goes crazy and throws everything inside his home.

-

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Larry. My copy also came from Germany and Ebay like yours it had been recorded into the native language. This confirms also that a few copies went to Europe, but it would seem are coming back one by one. The print quality is as good as the best from Derann I agree and the fact that its not the standard version makes it more special for me.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 05:06 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So from reading the threads above there seems to be at least two sources of CE3K.
One being from Derann before it was pulled and a German import source [Eek!] that always used to magically appear. The German link with Derann would likely originate back as far as the infamous slightly blue Cinema Cinema promo reel which gave some collectors a few red faces.

Makes you wonder did they source a original master and print in Europe then Derann striped and recorded.

This would tie with a memory of a conversation I had with a Derann staff member who offered me Close Encounters long after the initial fuss died down.

I suppose Jurassic Park would be another rare feature release that wouldn't have too many prints around plus how many collectors bought Titanic which was way expensive to buy plus striping and recording costs weren't included.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC