8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 Releases 'Down under'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 Releases 'Down under'
David Watson
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2016 05:27 AM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious, can any of you guy's 'Down under' ie Australia and New Zealand tell me was there any super 8 company's in your countries releasing films in the hay days of super 8. If so what was available.
thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Trevor Collett
Junior

- posted November 25, 2016 04:40 PM      Profile for Trevor Collett   Email Trevor Collett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not in New Zealand (probably not in Australia either but that not's definite). I'd say all super 8 sound titles that were available in NZ came from the UK or US - had English sound. If silent had English subtitles. I've never seen any prints commercially sold that were from continental Europe.

There used to be a super 8 sound rental library in Lower Hutt - Film Stripe Services - that had a large feature rental library with titles from both the UK and US. I ended up with a large chunk of that library when it closed.

Most if not all of the selected highlight editions I had seen in camera shops were US releases (early to late 1970s). Features were not sold commercially as far as I'm aware - they were all privately imported or available via Sound Stripe Services as rentals.

New Zealand prints, particularly in Wellington, seem to have held their colour very well. Even some of my Marketing Film prints still have very good colour, yet in the US you seem to hear that a lot have faded to red. Wellington's climate is what I'd consider mild with very low humidity. I'm sure that helps.

--------------------
Trevor Collett
Lower Hutt
New Zealand

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2016 04:52 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for your reply Trevor, interesting and informative.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 25, 2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a website for an Australian company that sold new S8 sound cartoons as recently as about five years ago. It created quite a stir here because naturally people were e-mailing it, yet nobody there responded.

-eventually the site just disappeared.

Films on Super-8

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2016 09:19 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I brought a number of titles from th Aussie site years ago, I had to ring up in the end to order, Photographic Wholesalers in Auckland had all the negs for Castle films standard 8 silent and 16mm sound and silent shorts and digests and they where printed here for the local market, the negs all still exist today in a private collection.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC