8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Any Ferrania news? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Any Ferrania news?
Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2016 12:10 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious. I received a camera from eBay yesterday. When I opened the back, there was a roll of film in there. Well, I quickly shut the back and rewound the film. Might be ruined. I think they had gone through the entire roll and just hadn't rewound it, so maybe I just wrecked the last few frames.

Anyway it's a roll of Imation film which I believe was made by Ferrania. It reminded me I haven't heard anything in a bit.

As a side note, I asked the previous owner of the camera if they wanted me to ship the roll back and they said no. I have a feeling they were just reselling the camera anyway and weren't the original owner. I'm new to developing color film so I was going to practice on it. What are the chances of me getting anything decent out of film that was shot 15+ years ago and accidentally exposed by opening the camera back?

Still planning on processing my own super 8 film at some point, but in the meantime I'm learning on 35mm stills.

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 02, 2016 01:17 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that Ferrania finally understood that communication is important. They post about once a week photos or a video of their progress. They are still testing their products but the light is in sight.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2016 01:31 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good news. Kodak likes to talk about Super 8, but they don't really seem to be doing anything. It will be good to have another source of film.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 02, 2016 01:44 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone asked this question (I erased the name) : "Where is the new super 8??? In Jan. Kodak said is was releasing it in Nov/Dec?"
25 novembre, 04:56
The answer :
Kodak Plans are being finalized, details to be announced soon. Stay tuned.

[Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2016 07:01 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

Check out these examples of that still film made by Ferrania.
web page I look forward to Ferrania getting back into film production.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2016 09:24 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,

Sorry, I would love to see the pictures but the link doesn't appear to be working.

I did process the imation film that I had accidentally partially exposed. While I was waiting for the negatives to dry I saw what appeared to be a giraffe in one of the pictures. I thought maybe the previous owner of the camera had gone on an African safari or something like that.

Not quite so exciting as it turned out. The poor giraffe was apparently a resident of the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago.

The pictures weren't exactly perfect. All the edges had a purplish fog to them, - I'd guess as a result of my opening the camera back. Aside from that they weren't too bad. Since the film was a decade or two old, it was actually kind of encouraging.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 01, 2017 04:16 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ferrania has announced the opening of their shop in about 11 days : http://www.filmferrania.it/shop/

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2017 04:36 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great News !

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 14, 2017 01:03 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diasppointing answer from Ferrania. I asked : "When will the movie stock (16/8 and 35 unperfored) be available ?" I got this reply : "Cine stocks will be available when we have the appropriate capacity to produce them, the finances to do so and enough bandwidth for our 7-person factory team to be able to test them thoroughly. In other words, all in good time (except unperfed 35, which we will probably not produce except by special order - and special order films are FAR in the future)."

--------------------
Dominique

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2017 02:32 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed disappointing is some way. I am a Kickstarter backer for the Ferrania project and I was under the impression that we would have super 8 by this summer...
But now it looks like re-introduction of Ektachrome 100D will beat them to the market.

Bruno Heughebaert
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2017 02:39 PM      Profile for Bruno Heughebaert   Email Bruno Heughebaert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do not be disappointed Dominique you know that i will come back soon from nyc with some tri-x cartridges for you.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 14, 2017 05:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anyone use Ferrania if Ektachrome is available? Seems to me Ferrania have missed the boat. Too little, too late.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 14, 2017 05:58 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruno, Ferrania could have provided 35 unperfored film which is what is needed to make 9.5 films, so it is disappointing that they say now that they are not sure to manufacture it and that would anyway not be soon at all. I know that super 8 stock is still manufactured and available but colour stock is rare and pricey, so Ferrania had a role to play. If you wait too long to provide filmstock, people will just give up. we were hoping to have super 8 cartidges from Ferrania one year ago and that didn't happen. I was, like Alexander, expecting super 8 film for this Summer (and I was also hoping to have 9.5 filmstock before the end of this year) ; it seems that it will not be the case. So, yes, I'm disappointed. Not only by the fact that things go very slow but by the lack of communication from the Italian company.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 14, 2017 06:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seem's to me the Kickstarter's should ask for their money back. [Frown]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2017 11:13 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are coating film, I have 5 rolls of 35mm P30 black and white Beta film on its way right now. The P30 film was a result of running a test of the coating machine. They made an offer of the P30 Beta to Kickstarter participants and sold out all of it in a few days. They expect to fufill the color reversal Kickstarter rewards later this year but don't have a date yet. It's a complicated process to make color reversal film but they are making good progress now.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2017 02:31 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are now beginning to take TOO long over this.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 15, 2017 02:33 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan, as Paul said, they will come too late if Kodak brings back a colour reversal super 8 film before Ferrania. They should have focused on cine reversal film instead of still camera stock that was already available. This will be the second Summer without cine filmstock...

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 15, 2017 04:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree Dominique. Reversal stock is what is needed the most and the most urgently now.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2017 11:06 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think crowd funding exercises are always fraught and risky at the best of times. Watching how the Ferrania escapade has progressed does not inspire me that it will ever come to fruition or any of the sponsors will ever receive the items promised or money returned.

As they say pay your money take your chance.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 15, 2017 11:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Fraught with danger!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2017 01:11 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could have used more blunt terms but I thought I would give you a thrill with the danger💩

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 15, 2017 02:47 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard one or two people claim that the Ferrania 'project' is just a way to tempt unsuspecting people to part with their money, but from what I've gathered at least some of the people involved are known, and work at the factory has been quite well documented via photos and reports. If these accounts are accurate, perhaps the staff are displaying commendable determination to overcome problems, even if they may have underestimated the challenges.

If any Italian forum member lives near the factory, it would be good if they could visit as an 8mm Forum representative, see the facilities and meet staff. A report on such a visit could be very interesting in terms of gaining a detached view that considers the chances of future production.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 15, 2017 02:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing is believing as they say Adrian!

I would never for one second subscribe to ANY crowd funding expedition, no matter what the incentive or passion.

If an incentive, concept or subsequent business model is good enough, it should never require ANY external funding.

[ April 15, 2017, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2017 05:37 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only say that it is one thing to coat a backing with a single layer of photosensitive material and another to produce an integral tripack of emulsions with filter layers. and the chemicals to reversal develop it.

That could be a comment on the project both ways they could be going slowly checking that everything works well, or just delaying by doing the easy stiff to get money in and not intend to go to reversal colour.

If you have faith in them you have faith which is not always logical but just a feeling.

I hope they will succeed. I used Ferrania stock (reversal still and cine) with home development and the colours from the early 1970s are still good and would use it again.

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2017 04:02 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,
from a commercial standpoint, it's quite understandable that they will sell unperforated films only after all their products will be available to public, otherwise other firms or individuals may sell 8mm or 16mm films with their stock. Maybe they also have in mind special orders for already perforated 9.5mm films or possible agreements with someone else.
In any case, if Kodak comes out with 100D as they announced, they have definetly lost their train...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC