8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Holiday Greetings 2017

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Holiday Greetings 2017
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2016 07:25 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has a lot to do with 8mm please allow the posting to this area.

Begin:

I have been collecting super 8 for many years. Having shown an interest in projectors by age 3, Dad said when he shot home movies and we gathered to watch them, I watched the movie projector more than the films. Today that very projector and the films remain my property.

I recently completed a major project in my screening room. I have hand checked every single reel of film that I own. It breaks down like this:

Over 400 reels
1200 and 800 footers
More than half are magnetic
35 are cinemascope
42 are stereo
12 are over 3 hours in running time

During this inspection, I changed many leaders. In fact, I used almost 1,000 feet of Kodak white leader, recently purchased from Urbanski film, and two rolls of Ciro Guillotine splicing tape. The project was completed a few days ago. And near the finish, it got me thinking.

I believe I have reached the point that I am truly happy with the work that I have accomplished that gave me this wonderful hobby. And while I would prefer to purchase new features on super 8 instead of DVD – had Derann not shut down – the 234 films, the endless amount of trailers and cartoons – WOW how priceless can it be?

And then there is my collection of equipment.

5 GS 1200 machines: 1 pair of version 1; and 1 pair of version 2; and I am hunting to complete a pair of version 3.

6 Elmo ST 1200 machines: 1 pair of single track D with optical; 1 pair of HD units magnetic only; and 1 pair of HD units with optical.

And through my career of projectionist in cinema, most of you know that I have converted 35mm equipment to run with super 8 film prints. Including but not limited to, cinemascope lenses, electric changeovers, and the Kelmar cleaners. And don’t forget my legendary Tower based platform of which I designed and built here at home.

I have no plans to stop. I’m going to enjoy this hobby for years to come. And I will purchase more films when I find the rare titles that I don’t already have. I recently completed a purchase from Goldberg reels in Denver, CO, USA. I got a case of 10 super 8 steel reels, sized 2,000 feet for my Towers.

Looking back, what amazes me the most is how my aggressiveness to hunt down and obtain this massive amount of stuff has been. It is hard to believe that I put that much energy in to it. There is no way to describe the places I have gone, the people I have met, and others that I have dealt with.

I mean, “WOW!” Let’s hear it for super 8mm sound. We continue to support it, despite how many nails in the coffin the format has gotten in the past 16 years. We have, are now, and will remain victorious!

To all my friends here on line: Many happy wishes for a splendid holiday and a very safe, warm and happy new year.

End

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2016 08:23 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see you back here chip many wish to you in the coming year. [Cool]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 23, 2016 11:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas , Chip!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2016 11:54 AM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip,
What an awesome collection you have built up over the years!
As a fellow collector of Super8/8mm/16mm films, I can certainly relate to the amount of time, effort (and of course money!) that goes into gathering such treasures.

Having excellent films and equipment is the ultimate goal, but the many exciting adventures of finding these items is often as satisfying! It is nice you can share your story here on the forum where it can be appreciated and applauded by people who can relate to this very unique hobby! (BTW, replacing leader is also on my to do list--necessary but not very fun, eh?...)

Happy Christmas to all and Best Wishes for 2017!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 23, 2016 01:36 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip i like the way you have broken your list of films down into those catergorys, something i think i'll do now as we are working our way through projecting every reel we have.
Good to see you back and have a great xmas & new year. [Wink]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 25, 2016 08:02 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip off the old block - My aim is to find the RKO, QWalton, Castle and other shorts this year - Shorty

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2016 09:22 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas to you Chip, and a Happy New Year.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC