8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Can someone post a photo of Super 8 optical (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can someone post a photo of Super 8 optical
Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 09:09 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone post a photo of Super 8 film (close up) with an optical soundtrack?

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 01, 2017 09:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
What for???

There will be a photo already here no doubt in the historical data if you were to do a few searches in the search tab here, but basically they just look like any other optical track except miniture.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 01, 2017 10:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raleigh
Will this do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpIejsWnPRY

--------------------
Maurice

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 12:19 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice, that helps.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2017 05:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Raleigh,

You can get the sample picture of super 8mm optical print anywhere, but you might be hardly find this very rare super 8mm stereo optical (dual track) print picture [Wink]

-

The topic is discussed here:

Optical sound super 8mm, the definitive POST

ps: I wish every member of this forum can give a supportive and constructive response rather than to tell how funny/silly the question is.

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 01, 2017 05:45 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which projector has a stereo optical facility ?

--------------------
Dominique

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 05:45 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Winbert with your post script.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 01, 2017 06:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Bill. [Smile]

I always look to Winbert when I want to talk some sense!

None that I've ever ever seen btw Dominique?? [Wink]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2017 08:19 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which projector has a stereo optical facility ?
Dom, there was some information that Airline companies who were using this type of print (for a bilingual presentation). So the projector might be only for Airline...that gigantic projector.

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 01, 2017 08:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
So none then that any collector of films is ever ever likely to own!

As said.

[ February 01, 2017, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 12:51 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Winbert, perfect [Smile] Exactly what I needed.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 06:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And as said, one which anyone sat at a pc with time on their hands, could have found here very easily by doing a few straightforward searches in the search bar.

Not so easy to find however, if you're posting from a phone on a 10 minute work break.

It's amazing how often questions asked here, have been repeated time and time again.

Most answers to the questions asked here, have been answered to conclusion many times over now in this late era of Film collecting.

I'd urge many new members,and old ones alike, to sift through the mountains of past posts here for the topics that interest them regarding film collecting and associated machinery.
It's amazing what you can find out here and just then how quickly you're knowledge on the subject's of interest to you, can be built up. [Wink]

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 06:46 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, one of my regular buyers at Les Cinglés was a retired clock and watch maker and he had the time, patience, tools and expertise to modify a GS1200 in order to read that secondary optical track. I haven't seen him in a few years, though...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 06:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe any optical films were using this track to produce Stereo soundtracks as suggested though, just dual language films as can often be found with magnetic ones once collectors have played around with these things.

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 08:10 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Winbert,
I am curious as to why, on this stereo track, that the wav pattern on the right side is clearly larger than the track on the left?
it seems to me that true stereo would have equal volume, but a different pattern but not a different wav size(indicating volume). Do you find that when you run this that the sound from the right channel is louder than the left channel(or viceversa) and needs to be adjusted to suit?
To me, rather than this being stereo, it is more like surround sound, as if the right channel has ambient sounds or something different than speech?
I may move into optical one day if i find a good MO machine i like [Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 08:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
??????????????? [Frown]

Many titles are faded now btw Mathew.

A few are still fine, but the vast majority are showing fade or in some cases, are completely red or brown.
Also dozens of them are heavily scratched I've found over the years due to the few machines that users tended to watch these on.

Try to buy from someone who has used these on Fumeo machines if you find any you like. [Wink]

I once bought the same title of a favourite of mine 3 times over to try and find one that wasn't full of green lines.
I never did find a perfect one or anything like!

Reel 2 (1x 1200ft) was always nigh on perfect while Reel 1 was more often than not scratched to pieces. [Frown]

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 11:12 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, track 2 is always lower in ouput level when it is magnetic: perhaps you don't realize it because on higher-end machines this is compensated for in the Rec or PB AMP stage; but try lower-end machine like - say - a Eumig 804 D and you will be amazed at how lower TRK 2 sounds even if it was recorded on an Elmo GS 1200 at exactly the same level as TRK 1 and even if the Eumig has brand new heads. The more narrow the track the lower the output level. And in this instance, the "spikes" of the track do HAVE to be less wide than the other track or they would not fit in the area and the soound would be distorted. This said, I too suspect the two OPT tracks host different language versions.

I had never seen such a thing anyway... And at this point I'd like to see what an airline projector looked like. But I am too lazy to search in the old posts (sorry Andrew... [Wink] . Or perhaps I am pretty much sure there no such images [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
Maurizio

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 11:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert ...

I'm pretty sure that these two optical track super 8 optical prints were actually two languages, english on one track and whatever the countries language of origin is on the other, (japanese, for instance).

I have a few of these two track prints as well, and in theory, it is entirely possible for there to have been stereo optical track super 8 prints as, I don't know everythiong about the actual projectors used on the airlines (most of them were, sadly, tossed in the bi as soon as the airlines coverted to video), but it is possible that they were stereo, but more likely dual language prints. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 12:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again...AS Said!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 02, 2017 12:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem Solved!

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sometimes old posts have been from so long ago, that newbies and others might not have seen them, Andrew ...

So, us ole timers need to have just a little patience ... [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 01:36 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I said "stereo" just because it is Left and Right channel.

The above old thread says it was used for a bilingual presentation. The above photo cell was said one channel was for spannish soundtrack (left channel) and the other was for english (right channel).

And we already know, once you have left and right channel, you can practically make a stereo sound presentation.

So the stereo thing is just my idea based on today's knowledge.

Cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 02, 2017 01:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is dual language, it would be great to run it as stereo!

(Tower of Babel!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 02, 2017 01:58 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had never seen such a thing anyway... And at this point I'd like to see what an airline projector looked like. But I am too lazy to search in the old posts (sorry Andrew... Or perhaps I am pretty much sure there no such images
Maurizio,

We have seen a picture of a stewardess loading a film into a projector but not a movie of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnFCpz2pmf0&feature=related

Go to 04:00 and you will see how it was years ago.

Another video showing when film is showing:

http://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00070000/00070078.mp4.m3u8:

A good discussion made by aviation enthusiats about inflight movie system can also be read here:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5538420/1/#1:

(The above information was indeed from an old thread. I just copied and pasted here and did not cost me a penny. I am a full time diplomat, not sitting in front of PC all the time, but am happy to help)

The original post: http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=1;t=009 334;go=older

ps: I have clicke on the above youtube link apparently the video has gone [Frown] ...[EDITED] But luckily I found the same video is here:

http://www.srf.ch/play/tv/schweiz-aktuell/video/wunschreportage-3-erster-jumbo?id=57456d9f-0b6a-41cc-887b-bf7eb551fdf6

There is another video I found on the net, about inflight movie entairtainment but this one does not show the projector:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/bob-hope-at-film-preview-in-the-sky-aboard -boeing/query/Bob+Hope

[ February 02, 2017, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 04:10 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx Maurizio. That makes sense! I can see from the other thread that the suggestion was made that it is a dual language film, which makes more sense to me now.
I figured the sound must have some compensation if the rcorded volumes are different . I have only had magnetic sound to date and no very little on the optical side. By Andrew's post, I can see that optical films have mostly faded so i will not be pursuing that avenue. Looks like i made a good choice with magnetic machines.
Steve, that is funny about Babel! I always wanted to learn another language, maybe hearing them simultaneously could work [Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC