8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodak's new super 8 camera (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Kodak's new super 8 camera
Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2018 01:08 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the retail price will be "between 2500 - 3000 dollars", I would imagine this would exclude everyone bar none who would want to purchase this camera who does not have or cannot locate a camera from the past, the reintroduction of the film cartridge is a great idea, how many camera's will they sell at that price.......

|  IP: Logged

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2018 03:45 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a camera, with the lcd viewfinder no more would I be laying on the floor to get low angle shots. Well thought out, interchangeable lenses, I'll be able to make use of my Beaulieu & leica lenses . I can take live sound on the SD card to add to a edited sound cd to run in sync on the GS1200 via pedro's box.
Standard gate option would be nice, but the projection gate would crop it anyway, so I can live with that.
If they sell enough that the price comes down, I'm all in.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 22, 2018 11:24 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They now don't seem to be referring to the initial plan to have a limited edition first run of more expensive cameras followed by a more 'affordable' version. Perhaps it would do no harm if those of us (including me) - who were willing to consider buying the latter - made it known that a purchase is likely to be dependent on this plan proceeding. I find it credible that a lack of expertise going back to the old days of camera production was a significant problem, but they deserve credit for not letting that cause the project to be abandoned.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 22, 2018 01:38 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see what is, in my opinion, necessary on any camera.
A tripod bush.
But perhaps there is some form of clamp.
Otherwise, viewers will be treated to a moving picture in addition to a moving film.

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 22, 2018 06:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice - some videos/photos show the camera being used without the pistol grip at the bottom. The top of this has a rotating fitting that I believe engages with a tripod bush, so with the grip removed, I'm pretty sure you can use it with a tripod.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 23, 2018 02:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gentleman in the video didn't seem to be worrying about the camera being steady. He was holding it well away from his body as he looked at the LED screen.

In my days of filming, and I am sure, everyone else, we held the camera firmly to one's face to keep it steady, and to be able to look through the viewfinder.

But, perhaps, as you say, it does have some facility for a tripod bush. But will eventual users take advantage of it?

--------------------
Maurice

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2018 02:46 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Goodness, is this still rattling on?

Come on Kodak, give us reason to be truly interested, or give it a rest.

Far too little, far too late...

When first mentioned, this venture was truly exciting, but now it's just a joke.

When first announced, I was really thinking of buying one, but now the cost is spiraling, the quality is awful and there literally is no real market...what is this nonsense???

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 25, 2018 04:54 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would think knowing you can easily get a decent super 8 camera just about anywhere for free even !!!

They would make a sensible choice to just push a decent reversal stock out at a lowish price to get things moving that way.

I hope someone sees sense there or this ship will of sailed as well as the Farrania one.

Best Mark.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 25, 2018 01:09 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely Mark, bring back Ektachrome film for all those fabulous existing super 8 cameras. That new camera is a total non-starter at that price.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2018 12:30 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, let's see some new Ektachrome.

The last 100D was very good indeed; just bring that back.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2018 01:27 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please contain your excitement.
While I agree that it's a miracle that Kodak would re introduce super 8 film, I find it baffling that they would imagine the ordinary film enthusiast paying a fortune for their new camera then a further fortune to shoot a three minute cassette that will be viewed digitally anyway (as there's apparently no plan for a projector).
You may as well cut out the middle man and shoot digitally in the first place.
Sorry to be a party pooper, but the whole thing seems a pointless exercise for Kodak to dig deeper into our pockets.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2018 02:03 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have admitted that finding places to manufacture the precision part needed has been difficult and that the knowledge behind the cameras is decades old and has been lost. The high price for the camera is just the consumer paying for research and development costs. These cameras are certainly not going to be mass produced. I don't see a low cost version ever appearing. I like the new camera but how many older, working quality super 8 cameras can I buy for $3,000? Not to mention I already have about a dozen working cameras as it is with every function you would ever need anyway. Bringing back the filmstock would be the best option for them and get them the most sales.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2018 04:40 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, Bill. Best solution all round, just restart manufacture of stock.
Only problem being supply of processing labs. The whole idea is beset with problems, or as they say these days, challenges.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 26, 2018 11:53 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is, what market are they aiming for? Certainly not the every day Joe, who was they're bread and butter at one time, and who now does not even want to use a video camera, preferring to take those idiotic vertical videos with their cell phones.
Then we have the film students at Universities and colleges. Do they still use 16mm, or is all the equipment now high end video cameras? Not sure where the new camera would fit in here, but if these places have plenty of money, which they seem to have, maybe there is a small market here for introducing some elements of reel film into a film course. But there again, 16mm would make a much better learning tool than super 8.
Finally we have the film enthusiast, us guys! Are any of us going to spend 2K -3k on this camera? I doubt it very much. Many of us still have more than one S8 camera, and if we don't we can pick up a great camera for a couple of hundred on ebay.
So, who is going to buy this camera?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2018 01:52 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you are right.

Who is this camera for?

Digital capture is so advanced now as to replicate anything during production or post as to already makes a new Super 8 camera capture no longer interesting to student or professional.

Especially when at such cost.

I would argue that for students, understanding of photo - chemical capture is very enlightening, but I fail to see how Kodak's efforts encourage this.

I've spent my life behind a camera, shooting Standard 8 age 6, and every format in between...spending the last 20 years shooting broadcast TV; I really don't get this.

I get retro...so Kodak, please see sense and just give use super 8 cartridges of Ektachrome 100D...we'll use that!

We'll also love it and promote it!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC