8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bell and Howell Super 8 projector, model 346A

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell Super 8 projector, model 346A
David Walcher
Junior

- posted February 13, 2017 09:58 PM      Profile for David Walcher   Author's Homepage   Email David Walcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the process of trying to get this to work. I have figured out how to repair the spool holders ( for want of the correct term). There is chattering that is not due to the holes in the film. I used to be able to correct that by running the film backwards for a few seconds, but that trick doesn't work anymore. Furthermore, when I try to run the film backwards, it just locks up and doesn't move. I've figured out how to open the machine and the belt is in good shape, I cleaned the metal pieces that seem to be the main drive and the mechanism seems to change from forward to reverse without any problem. I was wondering if there is a repair manual for this machine? Also, any tips from anyone who has worked on this projector would be appreciated.
As an FYI. The nylon 2.5 mm screws that held the spool holders onto the arms failed but I was able to find some screws. There was a thin bushing/washer that kept pressure on the gear so that it would turn. That part I was not able to find or replace, but a small compression fitting from a plumbing store, painstakingly hacksawed in half, made a nice repair.
two other questions. the larger spools, there are 5 inch and 7 inch. How much film do those hold, in feet? Thank you

--------------------
David Walcher

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2017 09:25 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum David.The 5-inch reels hold 200' of film and the 7 inch one, 400'. I own two of these machines and they're true old-school workhorses. Sorry that I don't have a solution to your projectors issues, but some of the seasoned pros on here may be able to offer assistance.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

David Walcher
Junior

- posted February 14, 2017 02:33 PM      Profile for David Walcher   Author's Homepage   Email David Walcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I appreciate the help.

--------------------
David Walcher

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2017 02:44 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
David, I neither know this machine nor have any experience with one, but as assistance is not exactly flooding in so far from your part of the world, from the symptoms you describe in the outset, about the fact it would run better in reverse than in forwards projection mode, it sounds as though your main shaft endfloat may not be set quite right if your shutter cam is attached to it. This causes penetration issues if it has excess movement.

As the machine is switched from forwards to reverse, the claw position due to the cam movement, changes somewhat.

Depending on design of cooling fan etc etc, the thrust of the shaft can work in opposition to what you would expect in some instances.

Try cleaning the cam lobe of hardened grease to begin with if there is any. re lube it with fresh appropriate grease and try to observe any shaft thrust movement in forwards or reverse projection modes. see if the depth of claw penetration changes from running in one direction to another.

You should be able to do all this without the risk of running film through the machine while you still have any doubts about it's well being.

Note:, we are not talking huge differences here by any means, but there doesn't have to be to cause Jitter in the frame.
Fractions of a mm can and often do, make all of the difference in the world with 8mm gates.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2017 03:58 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
throw it in the bin and I will sell you a fully serviced 16mm projector and comes with a feature film and take up spool for 125 plus postage

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2017 04:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well there you go then David! David here has a quicker, easier and an all round far less hassle of a solution! [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Walcher
Junior

- posted February 14, 2017 11:28 PM      Profile for David Walcher   Author's Homepage   Email David Walcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with David's response is that this is 8 mm, not 16 mm. Sorry and I'm not ready to throw it away just yet. Thanks for the suggestion though.
What I really need is the service manual for this machine. Anyone know how or where I can find such an item? Thank you.

--------------------
David Walcher

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2017 03:12 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, check out this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-Howell-346-346A-346AX-346AXB-Repair-Manual-/191697230541?hash=item2ca20b9acd:g:xvcAAOxyg6BRzZ4s

--------------------

David Walcher
Junior

- posted February 19, 2017 08:45 PM      Profile for David Walcher   Author's Homepage   Email David Walcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas: Thank you for your link. I greatly appreciate it and hopefully in a few weeks, I'll be able to tell you the machine if fixed.

--------------------
David Walcher

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2017 06:20 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're most welcome David. The 346 projectors are nice machines and the two in my collection get used often. Wishing you good fortune on this project.

--------------------

David Walcher
Junior

- posted March 06, 2017 10:45 AM      Profile for David Walcher   Author's Homepage   Email David Walcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally received the repair manual. I have to work my way thru it. There are a number of tools listed in the manual. I'll have to see if they are necessary for my repair. Thanks for your help so far.

--------------------
David Walcher

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC