8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Transferring super 8 sound film to digital

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Transferring super 8 sound film to digital
Craig McDowall
Junior

- posted February 14, 2017 01:02 PM      Profile for Craig McDowall   Author's Homepage   Email Craig McDowall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi gang

I have a guy up here in Canada who has been transferring my super 8 film to digital video using a USB stick. All has been fine . . except a 400 foot reel I sent that was edited and cleaned but with sound. Came back as 'flicker city'. Told me his machine does not do a good job with striped film. Who can handle this as it is a project I am basing a commercial DVD (special steam excursion trip in 1984).

Thanks for any guidance
Craig

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2017 01:19 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the problem is that sound film has to be projcted at 24 fps, and the camera he used to record it could not properly sync with that speed.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2017 10:23 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry is probably correct. Even if the sound film is 18fps rather than the standard sound speed of 24fps, either speed must be maintained in order for the sound to reproduce without an increase or decrease in speed or pitch. This would require a realtime transfer but would result in a flickering image due to the mismatch between projection frame rate and video frame rate. A frame by frame scan could eliminate flicker and retain proper film speed. The audio, however, would have to be reproduced separately and synced to the transfer in post.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC