8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » SUPER 8 mm from Digital of Celluloid, New Super 8 Release (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SUPER 8 mm from Digital of Celluloid, New Super 8 Release
Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2017 04:45 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul....I think no source material on the QT trailers

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2017 05:58 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a source for the 1st QT western trailer but not the 2nd sadly. Though a from HD to super 8 negative was possible for the 2nd one. But even more expensive to do plus lower quality than from the 35mm.

So its a cost issue overall.

Plus does anyone know if there is a solution to the recording soundheads needed ?

Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 09, 2017 09:45 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be good to have an update from Andreas, but his most recent post in August said the price of the release would be 40 to 65 Euros, so the earlier much higher estimate can be disregarded.

The situation regarding CHC releases such as the 'Back to the Future' promo is that detailed advice regarding rectifying the lab's sound recording issues has been passed on, but it has been taking them a long time to actually do the work, hence the delay.

Once this has been done, I believe the plan is to proceed with a scope QT Western trailer release, but with only one trailer due to the issue referred to.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2017 02:39 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, to give a newer comparison, the Captain America and True Lies 2x400ft new releases have recently been £220 each.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 10, 2017 04:05 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would people be happy to get the 2nd one from a HD source to a super 8 neg as both on a reel would be the best bet if possible.

It is possible to make a negative that way.

Have they actually sourced heads then Adrian or moved recording elsewhere ?

Best Mark.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2017 11:36 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the copy be made from a 4K UltraHD Blu-Ray in HDR, or just a regular Blu-Ray in 1080P?
Will it be in Stereo Sound?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 10, 2017 03:24 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I think basically the best that can be done.

Looking as if just the 1st on is planned or hoped for at the moment.

Best Mark.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2017 02:16 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Than it must be filmed from a very expensive mastering monitor that does 4000Nits at least.
Still a difficult proces.

If the result is extremely sharp and in stereo, I'm in.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 12, 2017 03:11 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - I think your first question would be very difficult to answer; I'm sure some would consider it OK but it would put others off. However good in theory the results could be, I don't think there's any release yet that serves as a good example, but I believe one from a digital source looked somewhat soft. I don't know if Phil would contemplate such an approach even if collectors would consider it OK, but we have a chance to ask him next weekend!

As I understand it, following the request for help, Phil was able to send some good advice regarding heads to the lab, and is waiting for them to act upon it. I'm not aware of them offering recording via any other location. If anyone is on friendly terms with Christopher Nolan, please ask him how sound was added to his Super 8 'Dunkirk' prints!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2017 03:38 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I have aktually 10 Orders.

NEWS: The 16mm Print is coming, it goes to the german Lab and we make a 16mm negativ.

Next Step, we make Super 8 Prints with Magnetic sound (Polyester Stock)

But the Print is no Scope, is in 16:9

I make too a negativ from The Star Wars Rogue One Trailer und Star wars-The Last Jedi Trailer (Trailer A-The first Trailer).

Next Time coming The Last Jedi Trailer B (the second Trailer)

I want make Super 8 Prints from this Trailers

When anyone have interessted, please send me a Mail

Ciao Andi

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2017 06:59 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom I have to second you on all your points you made above.
As you well know I too am a long in the tooth well dyed FILM collector. Since around 1966 in fact.

However at this point of time in my life and my financial situation and the cheapness of digital sources and projection
common sense in now my prime factor in deciding whether or not
to buy or not to buy.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 20, 2017 11:05 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kudos to you, Andreas, (and any other people involved in this process). for helping to keep the super 8 flag flying. I know from personal experience how much of a labor of love it is getting a super 8 print made in the first place!

I must add that IF you are potentially plannning to use an HD source to make a negative, i have an HD source for the RR cartoon "Chariots of Fur" (and yep, I'd certainly buy that one, for sure!) [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2017 05:08 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested.

65 Euro = $75.00

Digest prints at 400 feet were $50.00 back in 1977 from JEF Films - the price jump of today is not that bad all things considered.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC