8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fumeo 9119 no sound (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fumeo 9119 no sound
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 08:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And another for all Fumeo fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHvTbAb6Jts

The Tavares never sounded better!

Noisy bugger, but what a fantastic Light Output for those with a projector booth!

Going back to Maurice's point just previously, it's difficult to find a "one for all" torque setting for large reel projectors and LPU devices.

What speed and torque value you require at say 50ft of take up is of course vastly different for what you would need driving a reel with 2400ft of Film on it.
My Beaulieu Stereo somehow manages it far better than my LPU unit does.
For this device, I have to "up" the speed and therefore applied torque around about 1500ft of Film.
Then it's fine until the end for even the most largest and heavy reels of film.

Decent bearings always help for the spindle hubs but it
would certainly benefit from a potentiometer and mechanical extension spring incorporated into a dancer arrangement. Either that or a load cell fitted into the guide roller mounting.
Something that, if they were being built today, they almost certainly would have built in for the long play projectors.

[ March 07, 2017, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 11:19 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that I didn't make clear that I have no ground in the wall plug, the Fumeo is not the culprit. I should use the bathroom plug (with an extend, it is not difficult) as there is ground there (I know it's Strange there is no ground in the living room but that's the way it is).
Maurice, I've had also difficulties to set the take up arm. I found the right position for a large spool and haven't changed it (but I seldom project small reels on my Fumeo). The Strange thing for me on these projectors is that there are the classical 18/24 fps but the shutter has only two blades, so it should not work correctly for the 18fps speed.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 11:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique
My 9119 Fumeo spool arms have two adjustments for each spool arm.
1) At the end where the belt fits is a knurled wheel which adjusts the tension from the belt
2) A knob which seems to screw onto the shaft.
How do I set these up? What is your advice?
I never really know how to do this.
What size take-up spool do you use? (I have a 600ft, Elmo 1200ft and the very large Fumeo spool which I think is 2300ft.)

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 11:42 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're quite correct Dominique, a permanent two bladed shutter is useless for 18fps.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 12:06 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, it has been a trial and error process and I don't remember well how I did. I would say that I first tried with the knob but then discovered the wheel. I use the Large Fumeo spool. Before I found the right adjustment, the take upe reel always stopped in the middle of the film, so when I finally succeeded with my settings I let it without changing it. I was told that the projectionnist is supposed to adjust the tension (which is indeed high at the begining of the film) during the projection on these machines but I'm not ready to do that.

--------------------
Dominique

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 12:19 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dominique,

I am not pretty sure to understand everything with the issue you met.
Did you get the sound back with your machine ?
Have you got any documentation concerning Fumeo machine?
Otherwise, some closed pictures around electronic structure could help to begin a Troubleshooting way.
A Transistor is a component which work like a tap (Shortcut explanation)....
It delivers power to "servitudes" (Loud speakers, motors, etc...).
It can fail Open or Shorted.
Moreover, if it fails , before to replace it should be interesting to investigate for the root cause, just to be sure an other component is not involved in the problem. (Often time, a shorted capacitor is the origin for the problem)

Let us know.

Exposing all the conditions (any conditions and what you observe, you can ear,intermitent or not, etc...etc) of a failure is not easy......
But, what it is usefull to say : "Well Exposed is Half Solved"

Let us know

Phil

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 11:27 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

@AlanGouger: any chance to some photo if your FUMEO 9119 Xenon here?

I love FUMEO projectors and I very curious to see this special version

Thanks!
[Big Grin]

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 11:41 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
any chance to some photo if your FUMEO 9119 Xenon here?

I love FUMEO projectors and I very curious to see this special version

Flavio I will gladly post pictures in a different thread when the projector arrives. Thank you!!

Andrew that is a good video of a nice xenon conversion. Very interesting. I got caught up watching that movie I wish it showed more of the film.

Glad our friend Dominique's audio is working. Hopefully it will continue to work with no further interruptions.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 11, 2017 06:27 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Alan :-), I was happy to project a 480 mt/ 1600 ft reel without any sound trouble.
Phil, the trouble I had was that when I plugged the projector, there has been an unusual noise coming from the speaker and then no sound when I ran a film. The following day that unusual noise was gone and the sound was perfect, exactly like today.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 12, 2017 05:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main control knob on my 9119 always causes a very loud "crackly" noise from the speaker. This is when turned to "motor run", and a similar noise when turning to "off". I tried turning the knob a few times over about a minute hoping it might make the noise disappear, but to no avail. Do other users have this annoying problem?

Returning to my comment on setting spool tensions. It is not possible to adjust the belt tension adjustment on the end whilst running, something I could do in my 16mm mobile days with a 6000ft separate take-up motor. However, the adjustment which bears on the shaft can be altered when the projector is running. Any comments on this?

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC