8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo focusing query, possible spares wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo focusing query, possible spares wanted
Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2017 04:37 PM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently purchased a 1.1 lens for use on my two Elmo 1200's. I am delighted with the lens! However I have only been able to use it on my 1200HD where it just slots in perfectly. It will not go in to my 1200 (M-O) blue model, with the holder appearing to be undersised. I was always under the impression that the lens was compatible with all of the Elmos from that era. I also checked to see if it fitted my Elmo K100 silent machine, and again it did not fit. The standard 1.3 lens are interchangeable between all three.
I would like to be able to use it on the 1200 (M-O) blue model as well as the HD. I should point out in addition that the MO does have a faulty focusing mechanism where it it difficult to hit the focus using the knob so one has to turn it back and forth a few times and quickly release it at the correct time for a sharp picture, when using the standard 1.3 lens.
I believe that this whole section of the machine may have had someone attempting to 'improve' it somehow in the past, and wonder if this might contribute to the 1.1 not fitting. Ideally I would like to replace the lens holder and control knob assembly anyway, and if anyone has the spare parts for sale I would be interested to hear from them (in the UK), thankyou.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2017 04:49 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin, I thought all these lens had a pin and scroll arrangement for focusing, even on the GS this the same, a bit crued but it works. Does the focus knob turn freely, the knob does slightly pull outwards not very much though. Have got some thing you can measure the diameter on the non fitting one, I will check against mine. Maybe someone has modified the barrel like you say to accept another lens, no sleeve in there is there.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2017 02:07 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
I should have been slightly more clearer as I realised after my original post, it is two problems.
The 'new' to me 1.1 lens does not fit in to the barrel of the MO or, of less concern the K100, so the focusing is not an issue here because the lens does not even approach the focusing mechanism. It is as though the barrel is 0.5mm too big!
The focusing problem occurred with the MO with one of the 1.3 lens, where it looks like some rebuild may have occurred on the focusing mech and possibly the pin and grove on the lens itself, giving a jumpy effect to the focus.
The focusing and size of the 1.1 lens are perfect on the HD. It fits exactly and focuses well. The 1.1 lens is a black one, not silver and looks like the one sold with the GS, so I'm thinking now that the GS lens is not a standard fit, as I presume the silver one is for the Elmo line of the period.
Ideally I would like the MO to take the 1.1 lens as well, so needing a new focusing/ lens holder mechanism for the machine that will accept this 1.1 lens.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 05, 2017 09:06 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is weird, i also have a 1.1 lens for two of our Elmo 1200HDs & also my M&O HD. When i tried putting one into the other i also found it wouldn't go which is way strange as it should do. I cannot see any reason why it wont work. As i now have one for each its not a problem but i am baffled as to why.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 05, 2017 11:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
My original "green" ST 1200 M/O has a black f1.1 Elmo fast lens fitted to it, no problem????

The original one it came with was a f1.3 Silver type.
I will try to get around to measuring both barrels accurately when I get chance to see if there any differences between the two. They both fit ok anyhow and I've used this same f1.1 in HD and D models I've owned in the past.

Also I had another f1.1 black bodied lens that I've also had in this "green" machine in days past.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2017 11:45 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Martin

You will find the earlier Elmo silver F1.1 lenses that were standard spec on the GP Hi-Deluxe models will fit all Elmos, but the later black ones will not fit the earliest ST SP or GP models.

As you already have the later black version of the F1.1 lens the solution is to replace the lens barrel assembly which includes the sprung pressure plate for a later version.

I am pleased to say I can help you with this as in my Elmo spares box I have the later barrel assembly complete which you are welcome to 'try before you buy' - let me know your address by PM message and I will post it to you tomorrow. If it is OK £10 would be nice to cover the cost of the part and postage please. If not send it back and we can put it down to experience!

I know the black F1.1 lens will fit my spare one as I have tried it out already - will put up a picture as soon as we finish dinner.

Kevin

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2017 12:11 PM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks everyone for your interesting replies. It looks like there is always a new nugget of information still to be uncovered regarding the hobby.
A big thank you to Kevin for supplying the answer and possible solution, much appreciated! I have sent a PM.
I will add to this post when done.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2017 01:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Martin

Packed labelled and ready to post tomorrow - please see pictures below as promised (you will receive everything but the lens) and let us know how it goes.

Kevin

-

-

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 05, 2017 01:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
So is there such a thing as an early black Elmo f1.1 lens Kevin?

If so i must either had two of these at one time or another or my "Green" ST 1200 has the later lens barrel though all appears original on mine i have to say???

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2017 02:03 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just think it is an Elmo production line change at some point Andrew as I have never had a problem fitting a black F1.1 into an Elmo ST1200HD but have found they are too wide for the earlier ST1200 and D models. It is good to hear your lenses fit in all your Elmos though and hopefully this will be the case for Martin once this assembly is fitted.

Kevin.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 05, 2017 04:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I only have one nowadays Kevin and ironically it is one of the earlier green models.

Also ironically, is the fact that ive kept hold of just this one as so far it has been the least scathing towards prints of any i have ever had.
Not what you might call entirely kind, but at least the very least risky shall we say.

[ March 05, 2017, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 06:42 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much to Kevin who has provided a suitable spare, and all is now great with perfect focusing control and also being able to slip in the 1.1 lens now. First class service! I have sent a PM to you Kevin, but a note said that the email address was unavailable, so PM me to provide me with your payment details please.
Now my next job in a few weeks is to replace the pulley motor on my 1200 HD. The part is on order.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 08, 2017 09:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do yourself a favor Martin,

Before you get very deep in the repair, demount the power transformer and move it aside. The ST-1200HD is packed pretty solid and for the sake of removing a couple of screws this opens up a lot of access.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 09:39 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
I have purchased the part from 'van-eck video services' and at the bottom of his page is a video showing him detach various modules as you suggest. I am hoping to follow carefully what he does!
http://winkel.van-eck.net/PP-0161.html

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 08, 2017 10:19 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll do fine.

-this one is basically take it a step at a time and keep organized. Take pictures, take notes.

Don't do what I did and use a container for screws that wasn't empty when you started! "-I think I put them all back...".

--------------------

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 11:22 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh... whoops, lol.
I think I will be OK as it is mechanical/ screws stuff rather than electrics. I have in the past dealt with laptops and N/ OO gauge railway locomotives which have such tiny parts!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 08, 2017 12:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one of the nice things about Elmos, they are assembled a lot more like a car than a model locomotive: big, Phillips head screws usually (not always) accessible, maybe some "D" rings.

-it's just as they rise in complexity there can be a lot of plumbing to deal with!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC