8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WDHM "Dumbo" question ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WDHM "Dumbo" question ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 15, 2017 11:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey film fans!

I recently sold a fellow forum member a print of "Dumbo The Flying Elephant" (200ft WDHM), which the collector recieved, but was informed that he was looking for one titled, "Dumbo Makes the Big Top" and that there was a additional "Dumbo" release.

I always thought it was one and the same and that they just changed the title of the release. Therefore ...

Are they're two different WDHM super 8 releases?

Dumbo The Flying Elephant
Dumbo Makes the Big Top

... and, if there are two seperate releases, what is in the other release, "Dumbo Makes The Big Top."?

I Thank you for you're time. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 15, 2017 12:30 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://sammonlaari.net/images/kasimillit/Mini%20kotelo/Feature%20Fil ms/Dumbo%20makes%20the%20big%20top.jpg

https://picclick.co.uk/Dumbo-Makes-The-Big-Top-8mm-Colour-132043880358.html#&gid=1&pid=2

--------------------
Maurice

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2017 12:33 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two "Dumbo" extracts, "Dumbo makes the big top" dates back to the 1972 catalog and was only released in 200' b/w and color silent editions. The description from the '72 catalog: "Dumbo, the baby elephant born with the funny huge ears becomes the first elephant clown in the circus." The other extract, "Dumbo, the Flying Elephant" was released later in 200' color sound and silent versions. The description from the 1979 catalog: "Dumbo is all ears, as Timothy Mouse encourages him to fly. He takes the plunge and, lo and behold! The baby elephant stands the whole world on its ear. From laughing stock to star of the circus, Dumbo proves you can succeed by making your disadvantages work for you. This excerpt is moving, funny, suspenseful, and exhilarating all at the same time. (Order number 024). "Dumbo makes the big top" is not listed in the '79 catalog, so must have been retired by then. The two excerpts feature completely different scenes, and even though "Big Top" was only available in a silent edition, I have combined the two on a 400' reel.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 16, 2017 11:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that excellent rundown on the diffrences between the two.

Those color/silent only editions can sometimes be nerve-wracking!

I was abl;e to combine almost all of "Winnie The Pooh and Tigger Too" (200ft), with the 400ft "many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" (with boing being low fade prints and looking great), and that extends that digest to a good almost 21 minutes ...

But i was very annoyed with the fact that "Winnie The Pooh and the Honey Tree" (200ft) was only released as a b/w and color SILENT edition! I kept up hope of finding some savvy collector that mag striped there digest and recorded it, so i could add a lot of tHAT footage into "Adventutes" and end up with a very neat 600ft 25 or so minute edition of that digest!

I still hold out hope. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2017 12:10 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a shame that WDHM seemed to forget about several silents that could be reissued in sound. "The Aristocats" was a nice overview of the film and would have been nice in sound. Also "Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest," "Kidnapped at Sea," "Mysterious Dr. Syn," and the Disney Nature series ("Wild Life in the Grand Canyon," "Country Coyote Goes Hollywood," "Bear Trouble," and "The Hound that thought He was a Raccoon.") Maybe another year before the end of Super 8 distribution as we knew it in the USA would have seen these as sound releases.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC