8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blade shutter convertion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blade shutter convertion
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 23, 2017 07:06 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received this morning my Elmo st 180 back from Germany were it the original 3 blades shutter has been replaced by a 2/3 blades shutter (I decided to make this present to myself). It came without instructions so at first sight, I though it would not be practical to move the blades from the lamp holder side.

-

Then I noticed that the two rear screws had been replaced by screwdriver free ones.

-

I opened the rear of the projector and then I found that it was quick and easy to set the blade shutter on the desired position.

-

I tested the projector tonight and it works perfectly.I have now a brighter image at 24 fps and as I use a 1.1 lens with this projector, it is much improved than when I bought it long time ago (it was actually my first sound projector). Of course, the st 180 is not the purposed machine for this kind of transformation (it just happens that it is made like other Elmo projectors and so that it is possible), given the price and most of the members of this forum will not see the point to invest (it costed 207 € with the shipping, the transformation alone is 190 € but you must send them the projector) in a st 180 as there are other "better" Elmo but I certainly don't regret it. I don't know if the company had a look free of charge on the speed button but before I sent the projector, it was difficult to switch from 18 to 24 and vice versa, it now goes without problem. I wish it would have been possible to put such a variable shutter on the ST 1200 projectors, but that's not possible (the GS models and the st 180 and st 600 seem to be the only ones that can be transformed). If your're handy (which I'm not very), they sell a cheaper version, (I don't know the difference, it's, following the pictures, another design, that can be mounted by the buyer, but you need some tools). There seems to be only one person who speaks English, so if you call, cross your fingers for this precious man to be there at that moment, call back if needed. Sending an e-mail is a good idea but it happened in the past that some has never been answered (probably because they were lost or readed by someone who could only understand German and didn't realize the high importance of what I wrote :-) They can convert also Bauer projectors (it is cheaper than for the Elmo projectors but the models are not mentionned on the site).

http://www.ffr-film.de/eng-elmo-.html (Elmo)
http://www.ffr-film.de/index.php?page=bauer&language=eng (Bauer)

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2017 09:34 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice! I like Elmo projectors...I have ST1200HD M/O and ST-600M that I use regularly. So you say the ST600 can have this upgrade? I knew the 1200 could not. [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 23, 2017 10:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you are more than pleased with the results Dominique. Money well spent. It's like getting a new projector. Enjoy! [Cool]

[ March 24, 2017, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 24, 2017 12:21 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Dominique I think you would be looking at around 25% more light which is quite a bit [Cool] looking at your link they have some really good stuff [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 24, 2017 04:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
3 blades originally, now down to two. (24fps)

1/3rd less time now, spent with Shutter Blades covering the aperture during any given cycle,therefore closer to 33% more light output as quoted here on the FFR site, not 25% as Graham predicts above.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 24, 2017 05:00 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, I the st 600 is on the list for the other shutter so I assume the one I got it also available for such model.
I'm happy, indeed, Janice [Smile]
Graham, as Andrew says, there is about 33 % more light at 24 fps with the shutter st on the two blades position. I have the 2/3 blades version but they have a cheaper 2 blades version for those who never project at 18 fps.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 24, 2017 03:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats interesting Andrew, is there a test chart to show that there is a actual 33% increase in screen luminance between using a two bladed and three shutter?

It would be interesting to test it with a meter to obtain accurate screen readings with a variable 2/3 shutter.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC