8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Niles Films and Price Lists

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Niles Films and Price Lists
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2017 02:19 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone is interested, this was in the box with one of their features...
 -
 -

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 26, 2017 02:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic Joe!!

Thanks for posting. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 26, 2017 02:41 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see these lists. Looks like Niles didn't have the rights to either of the Fox Holmes films. Did anyone release these on 8mm?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 26, 2017 06:26 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the above list, we can see that the cost to print 400' (15-16 min, B/W, sound) is about $16-18. If we cut the copyright cost, it will go down to $14-15.

For Color and sound is roughly $30-35

The value of $15 & $30 in 1978 is equal to $65 & $130 in 2017.

But that is with a notorius dupe's Niles print.

If a company offering 32 minutes show in LPP colir and stereo sound for $260....that is about right...even cheaper....knowing the better quality, rarity and small market.

What is the retail price of the Captain America, and what is the duration?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2017 10:18 PM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

To try and answer your question: A recent (within perhaps 6 months) price list from Steve Osborne's The Reel Image, shows a 31 minute Captain America (scope) for $224. By my math, that is roughly $7.22 per minute.

Not sure why Andrew is apparently upset over this. Andrew, you are a tremendously knowledgeable technical expert when it comes to projectors and a passionate collector--however, perhaps it would be better for you to NOT comment if you don't particularly care for a line of discussion.

Perhaps I am mistaken by your hanging cartoon and "Arrghh! and "it/shit" reference Andrew, but it seems to be directed at Winbert's analysis.
If this is stressful to you, maybe a temporary "timeout" from the forum is needed.....The negativity isn't helpful I don't think.....

Respectfully,
Greg

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 03:56 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No it isn't stressful thank you Greg,simply an expression of continual dismay brought about by the constant fixation to calculate or comment upon a films modern day value, that's all.
Pitiful is more how I'd term it.

It isn't only our friend Winbert who is guilty of this over analytical aspect of our hobby either. It rears its head very very frequently, these constant discussions surrounding the predicted value of these older goods in today's market.
Who is paying too much for what,how much the DVD is on offer at Walmart this week etc etc etc.

My point is only ever that these things in the right hands, are priceless, but offered to most, absolutely worthless.

They are simply worth only what one or two people are prepared to pay for such items, not a penny more, not one less.
None of it matters,only that the films are still there to be USED and enjoyed.

Can you believe Greg, some people here and elsewhere, have paid rather large sums of money to watch a film only twice despite admitting they have owned it for many many years??
What a waste!
Why not just then pass it on,if you don't enjoy it much, and let someone else, who loves this film, really get the pleasure from these things that they deserve?

I'd much rather put in similar efforts discussing the merits of maintaining these prints in A1 condition while running them,as opposed to any possible merits by way of locking these things up in a temperature controlled vault for the hope that one day, they may well bring us all plenty of dollars as we see people admit to.

That is my primary reason for my interest in the preservation of the machinery to show these films on. Otherwise, without it,these films would have no more value to my myself than they would by offering them to the average Joe in the street.

[ March 27, 2017, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2017 05:24 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still puzzled why everything has to be your way andy

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 05:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't Bill.

But do we like films, those of us who frequent these places, or the possible prospect of the monetary gains from these things?

That's all Bill. [Wink]

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 10:10 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is, in my experience, quite possible to just enjoy owning film prints without watching them regularly and yet without giving any thought at all to future value.

Now, back on track, who, if anyone, released the Fox Holmes films on 8mm?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 11:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Regularly or once / twice max, in a decade or more?

That is the part which makes no sense at all to me. [Confused]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 11:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, it looks like "The Scarlet Claw" was a good deal, as Niles priced them all at the same price ($119.00), where "Claw" was 74 minutes instead of just slightly over 60 minutes, which most of the other features were. Shoer feature films those Holmes films!

That reminds me of something ...

I believe that some other super 8 companies must have gotten ahold of Niles negatives when they went out of business. I have a copy of "Popeye Meets Ali baba and his 40 Thieves", and while it is an L.P.P. print,. the leader clearly says "Niles films" on it, so i don't know who printed this re-release of a Niles title, but they did a good job of it, AND on L.P.P. film stock.

I wonder what other Niles releases were re-released after they went under?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 27, 2017 12:57 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cartoon in question and accompanying comment have been removed. It originally occupied the #5 spot in this thread.

I will look into this in greater detail later today.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 03:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only seen three Niles prints, The Outlaw, The Dentist (w,c,Fields), and a 30 minute mystery called The Shadow . All three were absolutely awful quality.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2017 04:03 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never knew they did the Bogart documentary. It was very good as was Selznick doc. I've seen Its A Wonderful life it tended to vary reel by reel in quality Watching White Zombie was an endurance as was a number of copies of Flying Deuces before I got a polyester print. I've only seen The Mountain versions of the Outlaw which I think were 4x400 and pretty soft. The 39 Steps I had was DCR print so must have been a different print source not perfect but watchable.

I think Phantom Ship is aka The Mystery of Marie Celeste a film distributed by Exclusive before it became Hammer Films.

[ March 27, 2017, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Mike Newell ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 04:05 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The cartoon in question and accompanying comment have been removed.
Thanks Doug.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC