8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Amazing 8mm Quality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amazing 8mm Quality
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 28, 2017 02:26 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have started the long process of digitizing my precious 8mm family Kodachrome films, so naturally I am looking at many of them for the first time in many many years. And what a revelation!
I guess we have all got used to the digital look and marveled at what a great job consumer HD video cameras do, until you go back and experience what 8mm was capable of 40 or more years ago.
I don't know for sure whether standard 8mm Kodachrome , shot with a Bolex C8 and prime Kern lenses, is comparable or not to HD video in terms of resolution. All I can say for sure is that some of the 8mm I am looking at is just breathtaking in terms of sharpness, contrast, beautiful natural colors, and depth. Just looks so superior IMO to most HD video.
So have we really progressed in 50 years?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 28, 2017 02:28 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i think not, things have got a lot easier and cheaper, everything is throwaway now.One things for sure though Paul,
Digital is still trying to imitate film but it will never be film. [Wink]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2017 05:13 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's even a post-production process called " Filmizing" which is taking a tv show or a commercial shot digitally and make it appear as if it was actually shot on film. So, if digital is such perfection why create the process at all? Clearly the texture of film is still preferred to the digital image. Go figure.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 28, 2017 05:57 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the chance to see King Kong in 70mm film and then saw it in Digital Projection. Big difference to me. Beautiful grain, super sharp images with the 70mm. The Digital looked a little soft and a little smeary?
Film will always be film.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2017 01:27 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
your mention of the bolex pocket camera reminds me of my D8 L with three prime lenses,and the astounding picture quality I got with this and kodachrome.
when shown on the bolex M8,just the best picture ever,all prime lenses,and better than anything I ever achieved with super 8.
super 8 had the disadvantage of zoom lenses,beam splitters for the reflex viewfinders,and of course the dreaded cartridge layout.

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2017 03:42 PM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even Dolby Vision engineers will concede that despite their diligence, they still can't achieve the same colours, contrast and inky blacks of 35mm film.

I have a few Technicolor 16mm prints in which what video engineers now call 'shadow detail' is astounding.

As for Standard 8, I was revelling in our own family films from the 1960s. Extraordinary detail, as you say, Paul.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 31, 2017 03:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree totally with you David. Super 8 is 40% larger frame than reg 8, but somehow reg 8 has more 'bite' and depth. One can only imagine how stunning super 8 Kodachrome would be using DS8 roll film in a camera like the Bolex H8 or with the B,C,D series cameras with the prime Kern lenses. Bolex could have easily produced super 8 versions of these iconic cameras - I wonder why they never did? If someone starts manufacturing reg 8mm Ektachrome ( S8 Ektachrome is coming back late this year) I am going to be shooting with my Bolex again.
Martin, one thing that really stands out in 'digitising' my 8mm home movies is the dramatic loss in shadow detail and that wonderful Kodachrome color palette.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2017 04:30 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of medium (digital or film), the lenses and the person behind them make a huge difference. The camera itself not as much except to the degree that it makes focusing and getting proper exposure easy for the photographer.

Sadly, there is no comparison between my father's or my own old 8mm film and modern digital video. In those old films having something both in focus and properly exposed seems to be the exception rather than the rule. [Big Grin] Indoor footage seemed to be especially challenging. The massive light bar that my father's camera required would pretty much blind anybody who looked in his direction. In any given 50 ft reel, there might be 10 to 20 seconds of footage that rivaled what you'd get consistently from a modern camera.

So, in my family's case at least, the quality that was achievable then with expensive equipment and skilled photographers can be approached if not exceeded so much more easily with today's relatively inexpensive cameras or even phones. Better light sensitivity, auto exposure, auto focus, image stabilization, compact form factors, etc. So yes, I think we have progressed in 50 years.

In spite of all that I still like shooting film and will continue to do so. It is possible to get very impressive results. And even with all of today's advantages I was reminded how easy it is for me to botch a shot a couple of days ago.

Probably 90% of all movies I take will be digital. I'll save the film for special occasions or shots that I think would just look better on film. It's all very subjective and I'm not going to waste a lot of time trying to convince either faction that one better than the other. I do have a tendency to defend both. [Wink]

Brad: What I would say is that in some instances a film "look" is preferred. I don't think it's always preferred. Just like you might shoot some or all of a movie in black and white. It might be perfect for a particular movie or scene, but it would be wrong to conclude that it's preferred to color in general.

[ March 31, 2017, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2017 04:33 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that focusing with movie cameras was a major issue,and made much worse by long zoom lenses,difficult to focus and hold steady
When I used the D8L Bolex,it had 3 prime lenses,the standard and wide angle quite easy to focus,and a very good exposure meter that was "behind the lens" until you began filming. So it was easy to get sharp properly exposed pictures.
I think the zoom lens had a lot to answer for.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 01, 2017 06:22 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found when I first started filming as a teenager and started again as a 40 year old, that first couple of cartridges were a little off, but my results got better and better.

Automatic everything is wonderful, especially under pressure, but when you know you were the one at the controls, there's a lot more satisfaction.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 01, 2017 10:25 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with David about the down side of zoom lenses, and not just in cameras. The very best projection lens that I have is the Kodak Ektar 22mm f1.0 non-zoom lens. This truly superb lens even beats out the excellent Elmo f1.0 lens in terms of sharpness and contrast. Using it on my Eumig 824 or 938 is a revelation, almost like seeing my films for the first time. Zoom lenses are so convenient but they do have more light scatter and softer focus than top quality prime lenses.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2017 11:08 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are some instances where you end up with a shallow depth of field, whether desired or not. Because the subjects in a movie are often moving (that's the point after all), they may be moving in and out of the area of sharp focus. So even if the subject started out in focus, they may not stay that way throughout the shot. Using zooms and telephotos can exacerbate the problem along with increasing the shakiness.

Auto-focus was a technology that made it to still cameras that used film. Did it ever make it to consumer grade Super 8 cameras?

Going back to the original post, I agree that not all "progress" lead to an improvement in image quality. Super 8 cartridges definitely made film loading easier and the notches helped eliminate exposure mistakes. But moving the pressure plate inside the cartridge was a trade off that had downsides.

And Steve, I agree that automation has its price too. My photography has improved a lot after starting to use cameras with more manual settings and having to understand what modern cameras take care of for you. If I ever got a decent night time shot before it was luck. After getting into film, I now understand how to do it more consistently.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 01, 2017 02:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I do not know of any reg 8mm or super 8mm cameras with auto focusing. Bell and Howell came out with a cute poor man's 'auto-focussing' device which consisted of a pendulum inside the camera. The idea was that for close shots you first aimed the camera at the subjects feet. The tilt of the camera swung the pendulum and racked the lens focus to the appropriate position, which was then locked before you raised the camera to the horizontal position to take the shot. Crude, effective, but hardly auto focus.
As far as cartridge loading design goes, the Fuji single 8 system was the right solution, using normal in line feed and take up, and retaining the precision camera gate and pressure pad. Far better than the Kodak plastic cartridge with coaxial feed and take up.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 01, 2017 02:56 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
My first sound camera was an autofocus model.
It was a Canon 310XL Sound.
It worked well for the most part, only caught out when there were multiple objects you wished to keep in focus that were moving closer towards the camera or further away but at different times. Other than it stayed sharp and produced some beautiful films time after time.
The sound was very good also from the clip on boom microphone.
Not really any different than that from the better Canon models I used later on.

I finished up purchasing a seperate electret condenser cardioid microphone made by Sennheiser that used two AA batteries to power it. That really made a huge difference to the recorded sound quality and amplitude of the recorded signal.
Very professional indeed using this set up with a 814XLS.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2017 11:37 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sankyo had a system called "high focus" which was a rangefinder system giving you 2 images when you pushed the lens hood back,and then rotated it so the 2 images became superimposed, this worked well and was a true rangefinder,but not auto focus.
On projection lenses,I too think non zooms much better,but there are just so few for super 8.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2017 04:24 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rangefinder focusing has a good reputation but takes some getting used to. I have a rangefinder camera and I don't think I've ever taken a picture with it that was out of focus but I find myself fiddling with it a lot, - especially in certain light.

I think my favorite non-autofocus aid is split prism. I've got a Nikon Super 8 camera that has it, but I haven't tried filming anything with it yet.

Those things are helpful but moving subjects can still be a challenge.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2017 10:40 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent years doing professional transfers of home movie film - Reg. 8, Super 8, 16mm. I have seen film in all three formats, especially Reg. 8 and 16mm, that were absolutely stunning in their color and clarity. I have transferred film that was over 60 years old that looked like it was just shot yesterday. Images were so sharp. The film so pristine. The colors so vibrant. Typically, the best was shot on Kodachrome. It confirmed what I always believed and still believe. Film is where it's at.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC