8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 34)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2019 02:42 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan, don't go to any trouble.
I am very happy with the way things are, it was just an observation about not doing quick and dirty 400ft reels.
I will splice and use 2 200ft reels so the scanner can be covered during a scan.
There is always a splice around 200ft that can be opened up with out harm.
And with your new take up motor mod stepping rather than pulling, I will be happy about that.
Speed is not critical, quality is.
I have learned to accept that during the time you have spent making this happen.
Really, don't go to any more trouble.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2019 05:08 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last two weeks I have been scanning 8mm film with the 720p Wolverine.

I really enjoy finding Royal Navy cine.

Two gems recently, a pile of films from a veteran Navy chap who just lost his father, 50years of standard 8mm.

A digest of a cinema film called Phantom Ship.
that is my ship in 1976-9

To have that on my scanner is remarkable.
It is a very rare digest of a cinema 'propaganda' sign up movie.

It is on youtube with time code all over it...for sale.

I used to love my cine films, synced to music, with a reel to reel tape machine, put on a movie night for my dear old mum and aunty and uncle. trailers, soft lighting, a cartoon perhaps, interval snacks and cup of tea.

Turn the sitting room in to a cinema (1976-78 as a teenager)

These days (61yo) I scan cine, throw it in my video edit and pop on some easy listening music, and be frame accurate.

No more reed switch on the Eumig shutter sending a pulse tone to the spare track on the reel to reel.

The first 35s of this edit, I scanned today, thinking I would find Ark Royal cine.

It wasn't to be, instead I got a colossus class HMS Implacable!

How very rare, and in black and white standard 8.

Really special few feet of film.

Wolverine bought it to the internet for the first time ever.

I added some flight deck shots from the 'Phantom Ship' cine digest and a final colour shot from our tv series in 77.

Saturday Night Wolverine music cine edit

[ September 08, 2019, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2019 07:28 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Mike.
Thanks for sharing. The music blends in very nicely and adding the color in the end is a nice touch.
I can see your takeup method works very well and the frames are rock steady. No more shoe boxes with the new controller, or maybe I should not speak now before it is all put through the proper Mike test.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2019 07:11 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'The Mike Test' I like that.....

I am really looking forward to the day I can post a before and afterwards scan with the new mod.

As soon as the board arrives I will buy the camera and lens before they change the price.

Then it will be time to gather any other bits I need.....

[ September 08, 2019, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2019 10:59 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent you the cables and the standoffs Mike.
You will need SPDT switches or you can just hardwire the speed an d fan controls.
The on/off switch is required because you have to turn off the stepped to adjust the camera focus...also handy if you want to pause the film.
A side by side video comparison would be great.
BTW - here are installation instructions. My first release.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bcm6rjnXfYDn5LWNQe1mK_jArB2KIQbG/view?usp=sharing

Will also post the original word doc.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2019 11:47 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan you are too kind Sir.

I can get the switches, no problem at all.
Thank You very much for taking the trouble to post me the odds and ends. Really big Thank You.

The first thing I will do is scan a 50ft reel and do a side by side video.

I am now off to have a read of the instructions, looking forward to that very much.

Thanks Stan.

EDIT: I have just enjoyed reading the instructions.
Very very well written and documented.

I will have NO PROBLEM in achieving the result...

I am so excited right now!

Ken Abruzzo
Junior

- posted September 08, 2019 11:54 AM      Profile for Ken Abruzzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,

I didn't look at the instructions completely, but I did see something that caught my attention about the 8mm/Super8 switch wires.

Will the mod still work with both 8mm & Super8? Or is it just one? I have a mix of both, but more 8mm than Super8.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2019 05:45 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Stan, I just read your documentation (a big good job). very useful.
For the capture mode, I do not understand why we have to start the timer. I thought that the external rigger was synchronized with the movement of the claw and controlled the camera that records the frames? I misunderstood something? ... I'm also looking for a possibility to integrate the usb connector inside the wolverine box ... maybe there are specific usb / usb extension connectors. I look for... Thanks for your great work and your sharing. [Smile]

BTW : I send the 3D printed parts this Tuesday. it will take about ten days to arrive home.(For you : 5 Curved pulleys and their supports, Capstan Motor mount, capstan tooth pulley,... For Mike just the 4 curved pulleys and their support and a 22mm lens holder) with the new M3 corresponding screws and some Lens M12 clamping rings.
The front part of the case will be finalized later when the new PCB will be in place. It will be easier to finalize the design.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2019 11:10 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you guys looked through the instructions and thank you for the comments. I will post the original and open up edit so that everybody can correct things as they run the installation.

Ken had a question regarding 8/super 8 capability. It will do both, no problem. The 8/super8 switch has to be set in the right position and that is it.
The switch changes the pitch of the claw mechanically. The original controller also used the sensor from the switch to change the frame crop. We do not need that because cropping is done during post-processing.

I received one order locally here and will ship it tomorrow. There may be a few more but looks like small quantities so for now I will stock up for around 5 units. In these small quantities the manual assembly takes 2 hours and 0.5 hours for testing.

Also bought a defective Wolverine unit for $60 but believe it will work ok with the new controller. So for local guys here this may save some cost:
- Wolverine - $60
- Interface board $100
- Camera + lens assembly $185
- Shipping $15 for USA
International shipping around $100 depending on destination. Still may work out OK.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2019 01:35 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stan, I would be interested in that kit as long as the wolverine is not one of the very early belt driven ones. I assume the claw and film guide mechanism is still in good condition.
Let me know if you are interested in sending the whole kit to Adelaide South Australia - thanks
Payment with paypal

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2019 08:55 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will check the unit for wear and tear. If there is an issue, then will keep it just for testing. It is the pro unit so probably no belt. Will check.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2019 09:32 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing more depressing than a wet monday morning drive in the traffic and going back to to work after 6 weeks holiday.....yuk.....

Fortunately for me Stan Jelavic put a massive smile on my face once I got to the office and found this very unique and rare circuit board waiting for me.

Stan, I am so grateful, I am now off to order the camera.
I can't thank you enough!
Arrived safely.

EDIT: the camera and lens are now paid for, due in around 10/14 days.

Kamel raised a question I am curious about too Stan.
why do we need to tell the camera capture software 2 second intervals on the timer?

I also was thinking of some kind of USB extension lead to the scanner, so I do not have to keep disturbing the USB socket on the camera board.

Something like a very short USB lead to the top of the scanner from the camera board, not difficult to solder one up, held in place with Duct tape perhaps (lol) and then an extension USB lead from there to the laptop.....thus saving wear on the camera board USB connection.

Still a month or two until I can perform the Mod, a stack of films being scanned as we speak...

-

And here we see INVOICE PAID for the camera and lens.... hooray
 -

[ September 09, 2019, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2019 02:38 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha like that smiling face Mike. Glad you received the board ok.
Forgot to answer Kamel's questions, sorry.
Did not spent much time analyzing why the timer is needed but that is where you specify the destination folder for the frames capture. The timer does not run on its own, it still waits for the sync... It does not do any harm so I left it like that.

The usb connector is a good idea. I will add it to the new version of the board. There are issues mounting the components to the edge of the board due to the size restrictions (free sw) but could use something like this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9966

Then cut the standard cable and solder it to this adapter board. Mount the board onto the new version of the interface.
Or something like that. Will check.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2019 03:31 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're lucky Mike! Mine will arrive very soon (our countries are close enough ...).
Stan, for the USB connector at the edge of the board, maybe use Kicad which is not limited, but I am a beginner in electronics and I do not master it yet. Just an idea ...
I also wanted to add a small power indicator LED that I will put on the front cover of the unit. But, here it is a flourish ... lol

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2019 04:14 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel the smile on my face when I walked from the post room to my office in the rain.
Like a cheshire cat smile.
(Walt Disney Cat smile)
I am looking forward to receive your 3D prints.
rollers that don't touch the film?
Amazing addition to my scans.
I will post a photo when they arrive.

I will certainly find a work around to the USB camera connection, so I take the stress from the camera board socket with each scan session.

[ September 10, 2019, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2019 07:17 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stan , still new to this forum and did not see your private message dated 5th Sept until today 10th Sept. Other forums I have been on usually pop up a message / flag when a private message has been received does not seem to be the case here.
As I currently do not own a Wolverine your offer for the second hand unit would be much better for me. Thanks and regards Bruce

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2019 08:27 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestion Kamel. Will look into it. What do you want the power LED to indicate? There are three power rails:
12V
5V
3.3V
They all come on when you plug the power in.
The ON switch is just an input to the controller to turn the stepper and the takeup on.

No problem Bruce. Have not received the unit yet. Will check the unit thoroughly. Do not want to send you something that may scratch up your precious film.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2019 01:07 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So let's be crazy! ... a blue 12v, a red 5v, a green 3.3v ! LOL

More seriously, I just wanted a small RGB led to indicate that the unit is powered on. I don't know, I am beginner...which is practiced in general (I also do this to learn and have fun)... Because I will use the switch of the original capture Led that I will only turn on while scanning.

While to do, on the new version of the PCB it would be fun and necessary (more important) to provide a 2nd switch for a 2nd fan to cool the camera board (5v or 12v - It is easier to find a small 30x30 fan in 12v, right?).
It is better to predict and use or not. What do you think ?

More fun for you, I hope ...for me this project is very fun ! Thanks again, Stan. [Smile]

BTW :
Your 3D Parts are finished. A little sanding today (post-traitement). I'll post pictures a little later.
Also, I'm preparing a little doc for the details of installation ... And it goes to your home as promised.

[ September 10, 2019, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2019 03:24 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel Ikhlef Hi, would you be prepared to make the STL files available for the modified Wolverine, I have a 3D printer and that would be easier / cheaper than shipping the covers and rollers to Australia. I am happy to contribute for your time and effort in this project. Thanks very much - regards Bruce

Stan I would be happy to pay for your time to assemble and test the second hand Wolverine with new board and camera fitted before shipping (that's if you are willing to do so). Without the new covers in place (as I can print my own) the board and camera may have to separated from the Wolverine for shipping, not sure I would leave that up to you. Thanks & Regards - Bruce

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2019 09:54 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad idea Kamel. If RGB led is used then if all is ok the light would be white. A color indicates trouble. I would have to add additional pads for the LEDs. Will put it on the TODO list.

The 12V pads are currently intended for the capstan motor and sonalert.
 -

Can add an extra pad for the fan.

Bruce, let's wait for the unit to get in here first. I can put it all together for you and will add just a small fee to assemble the camera and test it.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2019 10:39 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan Jelavic thanks that is very kind of you.
regards

Alain Gottschalk
Junior

- posted September 10, 2019 10:47 AM      Profile for Alain Gottschalk   Email Alain Gottschalk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stan, Kamel, Mike

I'm sorry I did not put the post in the right place, but I do not know how to delete it.

I just signed up for this forum, so I'm new to you.

My name is Alain and I live in the south-east of France, department of Drôme, between Valence and Montélimar, a small town of 1000 inhabitants which is called "Eurre".
I am 69 years old, retired and like many people of my age with super 8 movies, I acquired in May 2017 a super 8 scanner brand "Somikon" bought from Pearl.fr for a sum of 450 euros.
And like many people, I am disappointed by the quality of scanning.
I put the latest firmware: (resolution 1440x1080, coils 3, 5 and 7 inches, 20 frames / second).

I looked on the net if there was a forum in which people proposed a modification and improvement of the scanner "Somikon", but I did not find my happiness.
Then one day, I came across your forum that spoke Wolverine strangely resembling my "Somikon".
I stayed taped from morning to evening (from page 1 to 20) so that it was rich in ideas and proposals. And now you're on page 34. Your project is coming to fruition and I'm giving you a big hat trick. You form a very nice team and I bring you my admiration for so much work as well as my moral support.
I hesitated to register on the forum for several reasons:
- 1: The barrier of the English language: I was a little lazy at school and learning English at the time was not my cup of tea. I regret it now.
- 2: I have no technical training, neither in electronics, nor in welding and even less in 3D, I worked in the administrative.
- 3: Impossible to propose ideas and even less solutions.

Then, I registered using a translator "Qtranslate".

A personal question: Do you think that the kit you make, will fit on my "Somikon"?
If so, I will be delighted, and I will apply for the purchase of this kit.
 -

-
I am sure that thanks to you, the super 8 scanner owners will appreciate the work you have done, and thank you from the bottom of their hearts.

cordially

Alain

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2019 11:18 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, we are getting lots of activity in the forum which is awesome. Welcome on board Alain and your English is good enough. No worries. In my opinion that unit is the same as Wolverine. If you don't mind, can you take a detailed picture from the top of the controller board. Include the board and the power supply (two boards) and the connector between them.
Here is another suggestion. I have an older test board that I do not use.
 -

I can send it to you for free. You just cover the shipping cost which is between $16 and $20.

Once you receive the board, I will send you the instructions on how to test it.

If it works, then you can get the camera and test that and if happy with it, possibly go with the new version of the board (probably from Kamel).

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2019 12:43 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Alain

I hope you can translate:

If your problem with the scanner is unstable picture, try letting the film drop in to a container and not use the take up reel.

This may help for the time being.

I do this with all my cine reels.
I use a film viewer to carefully hand rewind the film from the container.

C'est bon de vous avoir ici

Stan you may yet make enough profit on this gig to buy that retirement house in the Bahamas.... [Smile]

I think it is only a matter of time before Winait steal your design and incorporate in thier next frankstein machine.

It also came to mind that perhaps anyone going for the mod should be advised that once done it will not be possible to use the scanner for rewinding films as the menu in the LCD is gone along with the control board.

I don't use mine to rewind ever, the motor is just not up to it, I can't imagine a wolverine pro rewinding 400ft easily!

Some people may not have access to a hand wound viewer or projector to use to rewind once modified.

Mike Kluz
Junior

- posted September 10, 2019 03:07 PM      Profile for Mike Kluz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All, I am new here and very excited for the mod project. My dad recently passed away and I would like to transfer a box of film we found. Thank you.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC