8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 36)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 03:27 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan reading your IT DOES NOT FIT comment has me slightly alarmed, I have the 720p Wolverine, is it worth me popping the back off of it to see if the board you sent me will fit or are you speaking about a different model

|  IP: Logged

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 05:26 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, maybe it is possible to cut the PCB to the left (there is just the text of the version (no electronic track) so that the takeup Motor does not interfere.To test the card it should work. This is a suggestion, to be confirmed by Stan.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 06:37 AM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan Jelavic Hi it sounds like the second hand Wolverine you purchased is the standard model that can only take 5 inch reels. All my reels are 7 inch so the Wolverine Pro would be needed, I thought that was what you were getting. I may need to purchase a new unit from B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/cart.jsp
Regards - Bruce

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 06:49 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan It would seem the board is too large to fit the 720 wolverine.
how annoying. I do hope we can find a work around to this as I have ordered the camera and lens.
I am having internet issues at home so may not see a reply until monday, I have driven in to work to use the wifi to post these pics I took this morning, so you can see.

I guess it would make sense for me to return the board you sent me, I have your address on the envelope.

I may see a reply from you today on my phone but won't be able to reply until monday when I come to work.

-

-

-

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 07:33 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re-edited my previous post with the latest:

- For pro units the new board V6 should work as is.
- For non-pro units without the belt, the board can be cut as shown.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t8ZUJS8GevM3uL3M8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QC8R6mAp3d1rKzFc7

After the cut, the stepper speed may not work properly. One alternative is to tack a 10k ohm resistor between U1 pins 1 and 7 and you are good to go.
Another alternative is a minor sw change. You can do that yourself if you have the programmer or ask me to send you the new controller chip.
Or just send the board back and I will fix it for you for free.

- For non-pro units with the belt not sure yet. Working on it.

- For Alain, the board may work as is. As promised I will send him a proto board and then we can go from there.

Kevin, the new controller should handle the takeup better. Definitely no jitter, but I will try it without the rollers and see what happens.

Bruce, yes you should get the pro unit. There is one advertised on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com /itm/Wolverine-Data-MovieMaker-PRO-8mm-and-Super-8-Converter-Up-to-9-Reels-AS-IS-M/202777992600?hash=item2f36829d98:g:jzYAAOSw6WNde6Td

It has screen problems - which we do not use...

I think I dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's...

[ September 15, 2019, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 08:10 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan Jelavic Thanks for the link, that item has been sold but he has a second one https://www.ebay.com /itm/Wolverine-Data-MovieMaker-PRO-8mm-and-Super-8-Converter-Up-to-9-Reels-AS-IS-J/174010721595?hash=item2883d8e53b:g:UoAAAOSwszFbzhFf I have contacted him but he may not do international shipping.
regards - bruce

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 09:57 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sent you a private message Bruce.
Got the new compact board that with fit beltless non-pro model.
 -

For the belt driven units a notch has to be added for the belt.

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 11:21 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan Jelavic have sent you a private message, I am glad you jumped the gun, would be great if you could put a kit together for me.
thanks and regards - bruce

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 11:33 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will do.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2019 02:10 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stan I will put the board in the post today or tomorrow.
If I can be supplied with the board that fits I would be most grateful.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2019 08:03 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure Mike, no problem. Ordering the new boards today.

Updated the qty spreadsheet as much as could:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ulozLsHAFLXWV3mcBSc-CuQRRfOLX6nDC3h63EVo9Q/edit?usp=sharing

Please check your name and info on the spreadsheet and make sure that it is correct. It is just for planning purposes so that the "manufacturing team" can plan. Currently I am the only one putting the boards together but hope that Mike and Kamel could pitch in at least to cover Europe. Or anyone with good soldering skills is welcome.

Alain Gottschalk
Junior

- posted September 16, 2019 10:04 AM      Profile for Alain Gottschalk   Email Alain Gottschalk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stan, Kamel and Mike

Stan, thank you very much but take your time, I'm in no hurry.

The work even if it is with pleasure, it is good but health is better.

I am amazed at all the work you all have done to improve a digitization tool worthy of
super 8 scanner name.

It's a pleasure to read you.

Good day to you all.

cordially

Alain

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2019 10:43 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY Stan The board is back in the post to you, not tracked, just regular mail.

I've also added my name to the database just to be complete, even tho' you now know which machine I have.

I don't trust myself to be cutting through circuit boards so waiting for the new board is no problem, but I insist you let me have a paypal in pm so I can cover postage this time please.

I wish I could find a dead pro machine to mod and end up with two of the darn things clicking away....

It also goes without saying that I will try and help any UK modders with this mod once I am running along nicely with mine.

I am very happy to do any soldering or give advice once mine is sorted.
I would expect return postage costs to west sussex and a very basic cost for my soldering skills.

I am certainly not out to rip anyone off.

If I had to source the parts for the board you provide then I may have to add an extra hour or two for admin.

I am open to negotiation.

Any UK users who might want my help with this mod would do well to find my facebook group Super8 Rescue where we can be in more immediate contact.

Here is the sort of soldering I do at work, I have been using a soldering iron since around 1970.

I know what every single one of these wires do, and where they go, and what plug they need on the end of them.

-

-

This is what all the wires and soldering is for, a Saber series 40:16:16 mixing desk, and yes, I know what every knob does! So your soldering should be in good hands.

-

In this photo I am re capping my Alice broadcast phono pre amp

-

I also spent three years as an O/B engineer for a radio station, and for the last 34 years, been an A/V tech at a UK university where I also teach audio and wires and lighting and computers for students studying Theatre and technicals

Alain
je vous remercie pour vos aimables paroles merci
[Smile]

[ September 17, 2019, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2019 12:16 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty elaborate setup Mike. Are you sure you know which wire goes where [Smile]
For the pro unit, there are some on ebay. Search for "Wolverine 8mm for parts".
Thanks for updating the database.
If you want to cover the shipping cost, it is $14.25:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wv3ZvnfN24zvRqDp9
but pay me when the board arrives.
Oh yes, if ebay will not ship outside of US I can get it for you and ship it.
I bought one for Bruce. In your case no mods are needed (by me) so you cover the unit cost and shipping only. Just a thought.
Almost forgot, mailed you the proto board Alain.
You can cover the shipping cost only $14.25 once you get the board.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2019 12:17 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Stan, If I can help I'll do it. but I am a beginner in electronics, just a little resourceful.
For welds, I will try to do them for me because if I miss, I only blame myself. LOL. For other people, I am not experienced enough and it would really take me a lot of time, so I can not commit to it for the moment (with training, maybe). on the other hand, if I can help in other domaines, no problem. But I must already have a personal unit that works!...
I mean it works, but with some improvements that would be nice but optional to add. yet some tests for me, We are almost there... [Smile] Thank you Alain.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2019 12:38 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand Kamel. No problem. Mike can cover France I assume.
Just FYI, here is the material cost sheet I put together. It is based on QTY 5.
So, for example if I bought qty 100 of 100 ohm resistors from amazon and the cost is $10, I divide 10/5 = $2 for a resistor because I do not have use for the rest of the resistors since this is my only project.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Irl-ZjZ_W4rqXmp3gF0eVFy7-QtvNGZ/view?usp=sharing

That is why the material alone is $80.
Assembly is 2.5 hours if everything goes well, but it could take longer. One board gave me a really hard time and I spent 6 hours on it. Was a tiny solder short.
The assembly requires a microscope. I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Microscope-Magnification-Handheld-Soldering-Windows/dp/B07FP598G6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=teslong+ms100+scope&qid=1568655492&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2019 01:01 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Mike can cover France"

Fell off my chair laughing.

-

Perhaps we should open a Swiss office too.

I could use a tax deductible holiday....

Each of us bring a unique talent to this mod, so my elaborate setup was to try and re assure folk I do know what I'm doing with a soldering iron if they should happen to trust me to help.

I will be very happy to happy to cover p+p Stan.

Your costs are without doubt, mounting up.

You have done so much already.

Any UK users who might want my help, please do

Join my cine film Fb group

I am happy to help once I am sorted and know what's going on....

It could be Jan 2020 until I can help you, as I don't expect my mod to be complete and films scanned until Dec 2019.

Then I'm all yours, if you need some technical support.

[ September 17, 2019, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2019 09:24 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found out that the imagingsource holder is a bit tricky to install. You have to make sure it is centered before tightening the screws.
With that said, the two mounts are pretty close but still off.
The camera holes have to shifted to the right by 0.5 mm.

I will update the board. Probably go with the short board version for all units except for the belt driven.

Also maybe we can add the usb mount to the board. Adds some delay to the shipping but may be worth it? Any suggestions.

[ September 17, 2019, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2019 05:08 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Stan, But I think for the changes I would like to make to my PCB. We will run out of space or we will have to switch to the SMD components... LOL.
I would like to add a 2nd fan with a switch on / off for the camera. a power indication led, and a usb connector. Starting on the short version, I'm afraid we are limited for lack of space. Specially since there is more "pro wolverine version"?.
But, of course I can do my PCB different, no problem... Just I do not master everything well yet.
It's a shame that I do not master enough, otherwise I could give help on the Kicad schematic.I fight with since 2 days to understand. I sart to the 12v for the 2nd camera fan. I do not know whether to put a protection diode as on the original 5v fan and what diode value. I learn... I learn... I still have learning work but it comes good! [Smile]

-

-

Is it correct ?... [Confused]

[ September 17, 2019, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2019 10:58 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel. D4 should be reversed.
Also, the R,G,and B leads on the RGB led are shorted together. Other than that looks good. But we are running out of space.
Tried to add the usb in KiCad and noticed that the holes did not port over properly from Eagle. Will try to fix it tomorrow.
I know you wanted to work on it but would like to get the new boards with the usb.
 -

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2019 04:32 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! yes, I see ... Beginner errors! I still have to learn. [Confused]
For PCBs: why not propose a short "base" kit version and a "PRO" kit version with all connection options?

what will be complicated is also the boxes that are not the same (somikon, winait, reflecta, wolverine, ... ventilated boxes, not ventilated, etc ...). Not obvious at all !.

Thank you for your advice, Stan. I will progress thanks to you. [Wink]

[ September 18, 2019, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2019 07:11 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Kamel, we learn every day.
I actually think that there is enough room on the board. Got to remove a few unused components and squeeze the components tighter.
For usb connection we also need an adapter:

https://www.ama zon.com/90degree-Right-Female-Connector-Adapter/dp/B00N2U0SSO/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=usb+mini+b+right+angle+adapter&qid=1568808317&s=gateway&sr=8-4

and the cable:

https://www.amazon.com/8inch-Micro-b-Mini-b-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00DHN9CMO/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MB2BA8KPPD9E6EYPGQ77

Here is the V7 board with the USB interface added. Everything is now pushed together to free up some room on the right hand side.
 -

The camera mount has been adjusted and the board should fit both the pro and non-pro model.

Will order 5 boards first and make sure everything works
and then go from there.

[ September 18, 2019, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2019 04:54 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stan, Is it possible to have the new shematic ?
Your link for the usb cable is for the amazon dogs. lol
thanks again.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2019 07:55 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops - fixed the cable link wuff wuff.
Here is is the board design:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DPQeBGjiFPIaBIrnbY23_mQ3IPaYmEVN/view?usp=sharing

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2019 03:11 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interface V7 looks great.

Having one board that fits all makes a lot of sense.
What a shame you had to go thro so many boards to get to this point.

Question the image source camera stills.

Are they .tiff images?
any idea a typical image size in Mb?

jpg images will have compression but a smaller file size.

When I scan 35mm transparencies as tiff files they come out at around 23Mb per image

Just trying to do some sums in my head about typical files sizes and so on.

[ September 19, 2019, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC