8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 39)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 09:42 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, please could you give me the web link of your camera lens European dealer, because I need to buy a new 12mm M12 Lens.

Mine is an old generation 3M F1.6. In France, the company that had provided me no longer exists and I found another supplier but with a price of shipping more expensive than the price of the M12 lens.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 10:57 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel I first began at this website and asked for a quote using the 'Get Quotation' box

imagingsource

When I got the quote for the camera I got couple of UK suppliers to choose from in the quote page, I chose Scorpion as they are close to me.
Good for shipping costs...

I went to Scorpion Vision, but I understand if you go directly to thier website, they will not provide sales unless you are a business.

so perhaps try the imaging source website for a quote for the lens and see where that takes you.

There is a supplier in Germany among the results for the quotation.

In the quote at imagingsource, be sure to fill in the details about how you are preserving cine films and that may help.

They want to know why you want items, so a good description may work.

I am sorry I can not give you a direct link as my camera and lens came via the 'get a quote' at imagingsource.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 12:28 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Mike,
Thanks for the clarifications. I will continue my research...
Maybe a macro lens to test.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 01:09 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feels like Christmas today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/x55awcR36o6z8VgM9

Thank you very much Kamel. Very nice of you. I will try it within next few days.
BTW - did you ever receive the board I sent you?
Bruce's unit also arrived a few days ago:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cuHXdeeTeQxzH9Hr9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EPKYHitDLWdo1A5k7

Looks in pretty good shape, but will need some dusting with compressed air.
The LCD is cracked but we do not use it anyways so not an issue:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4dGJSGuurqdr94wH6

The boards should be in today. Running low on switches. These are from amazon and fast delivery.

7 boards to do including the one for Mike. These are all for US users (except for Mike). UK and possibly France guys should contact Mike for assembly. The do-it-yourselfers can contact me for now for any questions regarding the assembly and test.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 01:34 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad that everything has arrived safely. [Smile]
Yes, I had received your PCB, (Friday the 13th!)... A thousand thanks again.
I will soon test it. I was busy and not yet had time to disassemble everything. certainly, this weekend because I also will need to measure to design the unit front cover.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 02:43 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Stan
I have been eagerly awaiting the shipping container from china.

I have just about every thing in place for my mod.

Bespoke 3D printing
Ebay wires
Florida wires
Germany circuit boards and Lens.
I bought a mic home today ready for the narration of the final mod video.
Very exciting times.

Again, I am going to say a huge thank you to Stan an Kamel

This has been quite some journey.

My scanning queue is backing up to March 2020

Bring on the soldering iron....

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 02:44 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Stan

I have been eagerly awaiting the shipping container from china to arrive in Florida.

I have just about every thing in place for my mod.

Bespoke 3D printing
Ebay wires
Florida wires
German sensor and Lens.

Very exciting times.

Again, I am going to say a huge thank you to Stan an Kamel

This has been quite some journey.

My scanning queue is backing up to March 2020

Bring on the soldering iron....

Stan, I hope the V6 board is back with you in a day or two.

[ September 26, 2019, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 04:35 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like we will all pretty busy with the home projects, not even mentioning the regular work and the honey-do lists [Smile]

Thanks Mike, got the board back. No usb routing to the back cover and the camera mount is off a bit... but still usable for the PRO unit.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2019 04:20 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,
what are the wires to connect to the capstan motor (there are 6).

I guess there are only two useful to connect to the PCB molex connector, but what to do with others?
Can I replace the switches with mini button switches?

-

Can I add a switch button on/off on the capstan control or does this cause a problem (MSP430)? (this because big switches take up a lot of space on my front cover design).

Ray Fox
Junior

- posted September 26, 2019 06:17 AM      Profile for Ray Fox   Email Ray Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can the TBL 12-2 C 5MP - 12mm lens be used as a direct replacememt for the lens in the Winait Scanner? I presume it is a glass lens as opposed to the plastic one currently in the scanner.

--------------------
Ray

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2019 07:31 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray,
I have already tried this. the original mount is in M12 format, but the focal length does not match because of the fixed distance of the original camera. (about 45mm of the film plan).

It would take a F10mm in the ideal, which is not easy to found. it is likely that this type of scanner lens is an F8mm is used, then the image is processed and compressed which also generates artifacts ...

That's why we choose the 12mm lens. it's a compromise between quality and the camera distance. Stan has a lot more testing than me and he can complete my answer.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2019 12:40 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel, you can either put the switch in series with the capstan motor to turn it on and off. The reverse diode on capstan motor should dampen the oscillation during shut-off to prevent arching on the switch. So that should be OK.
Kamel is right Ray, the 12mm will not work unless you put the whole controller on standoffs. The 8mm lens should work. I do have one here:

http://www.m12lenses.com/8-0mm-F1-6-3MP-Mega-Pixel-CCTV-Board-Lens-p/pt-0816b3mp.htm

It is glass.
I can test it for you side by side with the original Wolverine lens.
My guess is that you will not see significant improvement because of digital artifacts present which will mask any differences. But one never knows.

Tested V7 camera centering. It is centered properly. Finally - took a few tries.
This is full rez:
 -

And this is 1600x1200:
 -

Will try the USB next...

[ September 26, 2019, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2019 08:03 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan I can well imagine you are busy busy, but if you have time to write me a couple of dos and donts regarding placing the lens and 3D mount on the camera, and any handling tips or set up tips, I would be very grateful.

A video is probably overkill for me but your top tips would be welcome.

I ought to run up the camera over the weekend and test it with the laptop I intend to use.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2019 08:03 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
duplicate post of above.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2019 08:23 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will do Mike. The manual covers lots of details but does not include the camera installation.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QdWmdEiLXvubbFjXUEi14x_s3I_0WM_p

Will try to do it before the end of the day today.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2019 09:34 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stan.

I have the capture software installed, I imagine the laptop also needs a driver installed too?

I would hope to have some time on Sunday to test things out.

[ September 27, 2019, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Ray Fox
Junior

- posted September 27, 2019 02:11 PM      Profile for Ray Fox   Email Ray Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan: If you could test without too much difficulty, that would be great. My problem is that my Winait lens is currently unusable as it has fogged up!
Probably the chemicals I used trying to soften the locking compound. [Roll Eyes]

I have removed it and tried cleaning it but at the moment it looks like it is a gonna! Thus I am looking for a direct replacement - even a plastic one will do. I have emailed Winait re spares but no reply so far.

--------------------
Ray

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2019 06:59 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, The driver is installed during sw installation. At least it is on my Windows 10.
Ray, no worry, I have some spare Wolverine lenses I can send you one. Will try to do the test for you this weekend.
Is the sensor still ok?

Here are the camera installation instructions Mike:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jKC1C24DC6eB4e3f9

Ray, the 8mm lens that I have does not fit the Wolverine holder. It is too snug. Probably the adhesive that they put there in the threads is in the way.

[ September 27, 2019, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 03:05 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan I'm most grateful for the video.

I am going to try using an 'offline' windows 7 laptop that just had a re install and update, if that doesn't work I will try my windows 8 laptop.

I'm not a fan of W10 so haven't yet put it on any of my machines, and now it's not free I doubt I ever will.

Thanks for finding the time to do that.

The lens mount tips are very useful

Nothing there to worry about, but thanks for reminding me about static and the board.

In other news, I've just bought some white cotton gloves for future film handling.

No more finger prints on my scans.....Something I should have done a long time ago.

[ September 28, 2019, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 08:23 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White cotton gloves is a great idea Mike.
Where did you get them? I assume they are very thin.

A side note regarding USB. The L adapter that amazon sent me does not match their description. They say mini male to mini female, what I got is a mini male to micro female. Also lots of negative comments with it not working and blown cameras [Eek!]

Requested a replacement. Shopping amazon is like visiting a junkyard many years back, honestly.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 08:43 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gloves cheap as chips from flea bay

I tried to post the link but for some reason it doesn't appear here correctly.

Head to fleabay and search for white cotton gloves, perhaps with jewellery included if you don't find the right ones.

Gloves for handling jewellery etc.. soft white cotton, cheap as chips.

I intend to go through every foot of my own reels and check sprockets and edits so having gloves makes a lot of sense this time round.

I just checked my usb cornered lead and it is fine.
It can be a bit hit & miss at Amazong.
Fleabay is usually my go to first for small items like this.

Mostly because I have a very high disregard for bezoz

question for Kamel
In Stans camera video, he mentions the right way to secure the lens mount.
Does the 3D printed lens mount have a special way to be placed on the board?

[ September 28, 2019, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 10:46 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, indeed, it is a specific support with a cut on the side to go above the components of the camera board (see image).
There is a direction of assembly because of the cut.

-

For blocking the lens, I use the different block rings, it's very usefull.
To screw gently ! [Smile]
For testing, you can use the camera without the telecine unit, just for learning IC capture software. It's that I do.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 11:46 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Kamel

I have not inspected the 3D parts to see this yet, so this is very helpful.

Thank You Thank You Thank You.

I will test the camera and software without the board, I hope to do that on Sunday.

Blocking? I don't understand what that is...... [Roll Eyes]

Stan I found the specific driver for the camera, so as I am not on that funky windows 10 shennanigans I have downloaded that for the laptop...

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 11:56 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, In fact once the focus is over the lens must be blocked to stop moving. When you have finished your adjustments, you put one or more rings to block the lens that does not unscrew with the vibrations.

Sometimes we can put a point of hot glue (like wolverine stock)... or a little screw if provided but i'ts not often the case !. I will can design other lens holder with possibility of block screw, if real need? [Smile]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 01:44 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel now I understand.

Locking, not blocking.

Makes 100% sense now. Thank You. Merci.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC