8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 40)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 02:06 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, sorry for my "french" english ! [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 02:16 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike for the info.
Tried the 8mm lens for Ray.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vspGQb31MGr5K6T17
Came out pretty bad because the lens is not macro but at least it shows that the stock one is close to 8mm. Maybe it is even 6mm because I had to zoom out a bit with the 8mm. But anyways 8mm macro lens should work but there is a catch. The holder needs to be replaced.
Lots of work and cost and still not sure if the results would be any better. I'd say go with the new controller - my 2 cents.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 02:41 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel sorry for my pigeon english.

Stan You're more than welcome.

Ray Fox
Junior

- posted September 28, 2019 03:20 PM      Profile for Ray Fox   Email Ray Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan . Thanks for trying the 8mm lens. I guess that limits my options in finding an alternative.
My sensor looks Ok but unfortunately I cannot find a suitable lens in my collection to properly test it. However it was working after my first attempted lens repair but the lens fogged up as I watched!
I think the Winait lens is a 3 element. I have managed to remove the rear element and IR filter. It is the middle element that appears fogged and I think the problem is on the front side of that. Cannot as yet see an easy way to remove that middle element but I will try tomorrow.
Yes please to your offer of a Wolverine Lens. I will contact you via Private Message.
Thanks again.

By the way I have just reread all 39 pages of the forum and have gleamed a lot more info from all the excellent work that everyone is doing. I suspect one day I will undertake the modification once I have at least scanned all my films with the standard Winait Scanner.

Post Script Edit: I have just seen your latest post after trying the lens for me. Thank you. I must admit it looks soft at the edges, more so on the left than the right which is a bit odd. I think I will still take up your offer if you don't mind.

--------------------
Ray

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 03:35 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Ray. Just send me your address and I will mail you the lens. I have 3 in here. Will test it fist to make sure it is OK.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 03:39 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
39 pages.... that is quite something.

Robert Hudson never saw that coming on the 1st April 2017 when the thread came to life. [Big Grin]

I think I joined around page 6.

I love this thread, it vanished to page two for a time, now it's up the top of the forum most days of the week.

Very exciting days now that the Hawkeye mod is on the next page, or the page after ... [Razz]

[ September 29, 2019, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 28, 2019 04:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread really is amazing, but with all the incredible technical knowledge on display here I think you guy's could have got together and designed a great film digitizer from scratch instead of modifying the rather crappy Wolverine.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 05:07 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Adsett that's coming on page 73

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 06:09 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Paul, it's so true, but we're so close now ... [Wink]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 06:15 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering all the steps we went through, that is quite doable.

Oops looks like I did not answer Kamel's capstan motor question:
Here is the motor wiring:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/raWZMCiemmsucdDN6

[ September 28, 2019, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2019 04:26 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! Thank you very much Stan. I began to despair! ... [Frown] [Smile]
Indeed it is a particular wiring. I will see if I can create specific molex picoblade connectors to facilitate unplugging connection.
Thank you again for your time and the share your skills, your knowledge on this great project ! [Smile]

BTW :
I also wanted to know if I could replace the On/Off switches with little switch buttons and a slide switch for speed selection (lack of space for the next 3D Printing design of the telecine front cover).

[ September 29, 2019, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2019 06:34 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lens Mount attached and camera working

I have completed the build of the image sensor and everything works fine.

A note to windows 7/8 users.
You do need to install the device driver as well as the capture software, otherwise the camera will not be recognised.

Stan mentioned he didn't have to install a driver, perhaps windoze 10 does it for you......

Lens mount & camera test video

-

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2019 08:23 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, great job Mike. The music makes the job much easier [Smile]

Kamel, I don't see any reason why the pushbutton switch would not work as long as it is latching. The only issue may be fan surge current when turned on. The other switches are very low current 0.33 mA.

The inrush current can be 3 times the normal running current which we can measure.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2019 08:30 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any excuse for some easy listening music Stan.

Very happy with the result, the test image I took is not amazing, but I will save messing about with the focus and image quality for when the camera is mounted over some film, and an LED behind it.

Alain Gottschalk
Junior

- posted September 29, 2019 10:02 AM      Profile for Alain Gottschalk   Email Alain Gottschalk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Stan, Kamel, Mike

Stan :
I just mount the card on Somikon V1.

Is the connection is correct?

Where should connect the black cable molex?

What should I do as a test?

Thanks for your help.

[IMG] http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?dir=uploads0503&file=DSC_1067copie1.jpg [/ IMG]
[IMG] http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?dir=uploads0503&file=DSC_87.jpg [/ IMG]

[IMG] http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?dir=uploads0503&file=DSC_88.jpg [/ IMG]

cordially

Alain

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2019 11:14 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, the lens has very shallow DOF so both the cam and the object have to be very solid. Any small movement will cause the image to go blurry. So the ultimate test is with teh projector as you already pointed out.
Good work Alain.
The manual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QdWmdEiLXvubbFjXUEi14x_s3I_0WM_p/view?usp=sharing
has the test section at the end.
The black cable goes between the camera and the CAM SYNC connector on the board.
Hmm, did I send you some extra cables for the switches + the 5V cable? You will need that to get the board running.
I can send you via regular mail.

Alain Gottschalk
Junior

- posted September 29, 2019 02:38 PM      Profile for Alain Gottschalk   Email Alain Gottschalk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan,

With the V1 card, there was only the black molex cable.

I accept with pleasure for you to send me additional cables for switches + 5V cable to do the tests.

I will keep you informed of the test results.

I'll ask a quote for the camera and lens in imagingsource.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

cordially

Alain

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2019 05:18 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I know you're very busy Stan. Here is a diagram with the summary of your explanations. is it right ?. only the right pin of the cap in connector is not included (I did not understand what it is for). [Smile] [Confused]

-

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2019 09:54 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will mail it to you tomorrow Alain.
Kamel - here is t wiring diagram:
https://photos.app.hegoo.gl/k1JtdPjKNQJ5zFpo8

Only 1 connection required to cap in since the other one is ground and the ground is already provided by the black wire. So no need for another ground.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2019 12:39 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Stan. I go well with your advices and your clarifications. [Smile]
Your last link for the capstan scheme does not work. I'm going back to my 3D printing design. [Wink]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2019 09:19 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does not work for me either [Confused]

Try this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LJajGbSQG1fujdZB8

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2019 09:53 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, thank you Stan ... [Smile]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2019 12:53 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well as the cotton gloves, I have just treated myself to a bottle of film cleaner from Van Eck.

Paid for by my last scanning job...

I am really looking forward to re scanning my films in the coming months.
 -

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2019 04:31 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty impressed with Kamel's design. The capstan installation went pretty smoothly and IT WORKS!!!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aFBfAx87o6nDbgp68

Will expand his instructions a bit and add it to the manual.

Another update. Looks like the PRO units sold on ebay have a change in the power supply board. Pin 12 has to be tied to 3.3V in order for the stepper to work. Not sure why yet but used a solder bridge between pins 12 and 11 and that fixed the problem. Pin 11 is 3.3V.

-

Terry Dowling
Junior

- posted September 30, 2019 05:11 PM      Profile for Terry Dowling   Email Terry Dowling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, have you used this film cleaner before? And have you tried FilmGuard? It seems like it is recommended a lot. I have some very dirty super 8 film that needs cleaning up before scanning.

Stan, that's great news! It looks like it works very well - you & Kamel have done an amazing job!

Is there a way to tell which version power supply I have in the Pro unit?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC