8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Simon Hawketts
Junior

- posted September 23, 2017 03:11 AM      Profile for Simon Hawketts   Email Simon Hawketts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the software tip Mike.

I've emailed Richard at Winait to see if he is organising a replacement machine - if he doesn't I'll try getting a replacement through Amazon because as it stands I can only digitise films if I sit with them stopping and starting every 5 minutes.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2017 04:57 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried going through Amazon to get a replacement or refund but it seems I left it too late for a refund, but subsequently 'contacting the seller' is how I am in touch with Richard at winait.

I chose not to go for a replacement or repair option as it meant posting my scanner back to china, seeing as I have a new motor and Richard is still promising to send me a third gen motor, I might as well keep the scanner I have and fix it myself.....

I am still being told a third gen motor is on it's way, however it was meant to leave china last week but as yet, nothing in my email from Richard so I will jog his memory again next week.

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2017 09:54 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your update Mike! [Cool]

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

Jeffrey Miller
Junior

- posted September 25, 2017 07:44 PM      Profile for Jeffrey Miller   Email Jeffrey Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a Wolverine Movie Maker and generally like it very much (for the price). However, about half the time I am getting thin vertical blue streaks. These are not on the film, but show up on the scan and the LCD display. Any ideas? It usually happens after the machine has been running for a while.

-

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2017 10:17 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that blue/black vertical streaks stay fixed in its position throughout the video? If it wanders a bit and/or show up intermittently,I bet that it's definitely emulsion scratch.

So the bad news is it's possible that that wolverine already DID SCRATCH your film,especially if you remembered that those streaks weren't there before. [Frown]

But if that streaks stay consistent to the entire video,then that's another story. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2017 09:58 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are convinced it is the wolverine doing this, then there has to be something obvious in the gate aperture, or one of the feed guides has a sharp point on it..

See which side of the film the damage is on, as a clue to find the problem on the scanner.

I have never had this issue with my Wolverine.

Pere Pasqual
Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2017 12:26 PM      Profile for Pere Pasqual   Author's Homepage   Email Pere Pasqual   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just entered my Facebook and this appeared in front of my eyes:

https://www.facebook.com/WolverineData/videos/1475709579176099/

Ok, as the forum doesn't seem to show a preview of videos, here is cap:

-

Resume:

It looks like Wolverine released an upgraded ("pro") version which accepts up to 9' reels.

Having bought the original version just 2 months ago, I'm feeling very angry now...

PS: forum admins, please fix the crappy picture uploading method...

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2017 09:26 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I am furious at Wolverine.

The problems I and many others have had with the scanner and lo and behold here is a new gen with 1080p and 9" reels and I am left with a paperweight peice of junk...

Not Happy.

I hope anyone who buys the new version has more success than I and others have been having. I would love to see the results from the new machine.

Had I known 1080p and 7&9" reels were on the way in to production, I would have never bought the Wolverine I am stuck with now, at 720p with 5" reels, having to mess about splicing 400 reels in to two 200s to scan them.

In the meantime I am still waiting for a third gen motor from china, here is Richards reply to yesterdays' email asking when I might receive it:

good day
becuuse this is update for the machine, to change the hardware need to make sure it can work with software work well, so need careful test.
i will check with production team, once it pass test will send to you as soon as possible .

Regards
Richard

here is a link to the new scanner on thier facebook page

Pere Pasqual
Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2017 11:57 AM      Profile for Pere Pasqual   Author's Homepage   Email Pere Pasqual   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen your comments there, Mike. Have you seen mine? They replied me insinuating that I had nothing to complain since "the original unit was about $100 cheaper". Jeez, it's not because of the price but due to the inconveniences...

It's a shame we couldn't modify the firmware. Until someone makes a proper report of the new model, I wouldn't discard that the image quality is the same, so probably the 1080p resolution is just a different setting in the firmware (one of those I was trying to change). Maybe when firmware images come out we are able to flash our old models with them...

Pere Pasqual
Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2017 12:53 PM      Profile for Pere Pasqual   Author's Homepage   Email Pere Pasqual   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[please delete; double post]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2017 03:32 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen your comments Pere I am as mad as you are with wolverine data.

1080p.... I would hope is not just a marketing ploy to entice folk in to buying in to this machine.

I would really hope there is a significant difference in picture quality.

I guess we will have to wait and see......

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2017 08:05 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the original model at 720p resolution already did look much like an UPCONVERSION from vga resolution to me. This "upgraded" 1080p won't give me any much hope too. [Frown]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2017 03:14 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone from USA tell me who I can complain to about Wolverine, heres my story, in August I bought the take up motor assembly for the Wolverine MovieMaker, I done 2 x 200ft reels then got the same problem that the take up spool would not move smoothly, I got in touch with Wolverine and they said that their was no warranty outside USA and that I could buy a heavy duty version for $45 plus $18 dollars shipping, why should I have to pay again when I only paid the same amount in August, over here in the UK we have trading standards to complain to, do you have any organisation in the USA ? that could help me
Thanks
Peter

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2017 07:48 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry to hear of your similar problems to mine Peter.

They wanted to charge me $20 to send a new motor from California and I refused to pay it, stating the machine was almost new. They sent it for free, they also sent me a take up assembly for free when I threatened to raise the issue with Amazon (the supplier in my case)

They have now sent me a second motor which has yet to be fitted, after my last video clearly pointed out the problems.

They told me they had sent me a heavy duty motor but from the video I put at you tube, the so called heavy duty motor was identical to the original.

Richard at Winait is promising to send me a third gen motor once it has been tested but I have a feeling it won't work with my machine, call it a hunch......

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2017 08:49 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike seems we are in the same boat as Wolverine wanted to charge me $63 for a "heavy duty" motor but my original was only 3 weeks old, I also spoke to Richard at Winait and he has promised to send me a heavy duty motor once they have been tested.
I have put in a complaint with www.bbb.org who seem to be like trading standards.
I bought mine from B&H photo but they have just said they couldn't do anything

Pere Pasqual
Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2017 02:19 PM      Profile for Pere Pasqual   Author's Homepage   Email Pere Pasqual   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember me saying that there wasn't really any technical reason for limiting the output file to 30 fps? Remember Wolverine telling us that "30fps is the lowest framerate that any chip can output nowadays"?

Well, we already knew that it was a lie, but now they actually confirmed that: the new model output video files will run at 20fps. Another stupid design decision, because no footage is shooted for playing at they framerate. They say they've chosen that because it in the middle between 18 and 24! What an absurdity! So you won't get a proper framerate in any case! Instead, had they chosen 24 they would had generated proper video files for most of the cases!

Another lie, another deceivment from the Wolverine staff. And I can't understand why they are so uncompetent not to make the ouptut framerate available as a menu setting...

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2017 03:36 PM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the Wolverine is intended for home movies, not commercial releases, the preferred rate would be 18 fps, not 24. However, I think most customers would accept 20. After all, is that not the effective frame rate of film transferred via the variable speed projector method?

Not to defend Wolverine, mind you. The frame rate is the least of its shortcomings.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2017 10:15 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to bump this thread back to the top with no news.

I have emailed Richard at Winait once a week and again just now, to find out if I am actually going to get the new third gen motor....

I was hoping to fit the new motor sent from Wolverine in California a few weeks back, in the next couple of weeks, but my real life work is so hectic with enjoyable sound installations and theatre work right now, I probably won't have the time to do any super 8 work until I hit the Christmas break...

Wishing you all well my little Wolverines.....

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2017 09:55 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this week's reply from Richard contains exciting news!
I hope the tracking number is forthcoming .....

quote:

hi Mike
Good day
for the motor is the new update, so need to test all . sorry take so long time
now it is ok, i will arrange the motor to you today
later send tracking number to you

Regards
Richard

Joanna Crowder
Junior

- posted October 20, 2017 12:12 PM      Profile for Joanna Crowder   Email Joanna Crowder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased the pro and it arrived yesterday. I messed with it a little but only ran one roll of film through it. What I got looks very good considering $379.00 and no shipping cost. Seems to be fairly well built but pretty much the same construction as the lesser model with the exception of the 9" swing out reel arm and the better resolution. Now I am trying to find some software for restoration that was NOT made for video cameras and doesn't cost 3k to 12k. Any suggestions? Oh an by the way the frame rate is 30fps not twenty as advertised. I called Wolverine and suggested the correct it where the have it listed as that.

--------------------
Joanna

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2017 04:36 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with the new toy Joanna. Keep us posted please.

When you say software for restoration, Many video editing packages have basic tools to clean up video.

AVI synth is popular, free, but hugely demanding in terms of the learning curve, Plenty of info online about it, it is capable of all sorts of tricks but as I say, quite difficult to grasp as it is command line.

I use a cheap no frills video edit software for my work, but I haven't done 'restoration' as such. Just a bit of jitter correction and contrast/brightness and colour correction.

Do keep us posted on your progess with the new version Wolverine and thanks for telling us about it.
You are the first person in this thread to have one!

I am told by Richard at Winait that my third gen motor is on the way from china, so I will update if and when it arrives....

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2017 04:50 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all and a very warm welcome to Joanna! 😎

For postproduction I use Apple Final Cut Pro X and several plugins. For the best cleanup possible - grain, noise and dust artifacts - I use the euro 100 plug-in NeatVideo. For me personally a must-have for all my restauration projects 8mmToDigital.

For reference I would like to share one of my test-video's on my YouTube channel "8mmToVideo".

https://youtu.be/ay8VENaag4o

This is a capture from one of my many 8mmToDigital scans (Somikon HD-XL 1080p) showing the Demo Modus of the plug-in, thats why the output is generated only for the 720p dimensions, although this video has an output of 1080p. Nevertheless a great way to show the impact of it on the scan - see closely the very clear picture Q inside the green demo-box!

If you have any further Q's, please let me know! 😎

Cheers

[ October 21, 2017, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Berend De Meyer ]

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2017 04:23 PM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeffrey,

A welcome to you too!

quote:
Just got a Wolverine Movie Maker and generally like it very much (for the price). However, about half the time I am getting thin vertical blue streaks. These are not on the film, but show up on the scan and the LCD display. Any ideas? It usually happens after the machine has been running for a while.
Are those blue verticals lines - if not on film - visible when you connect the WMM to an external monitor or TV, to rule out the LCD?

Cheers

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 21, 2017 04:38 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joanna, where did you purchase the Wolverine Pro?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2017 07:11 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hot off the boat from china... the third gen motor which does look quite robust.
I must email Richard at Winait and say a thank you very much.

This motor looks much better, but until it is fitted we won't know....

-

-

[ October 27, 2017, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC