8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Filmsonsuper8.com

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Filmsonsuper8.com
Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2017 09:29 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this Australian website and wanted to know if any one has ordered any of the "New in Box" films, and if so, what feedback could you offer? Thanks, Burton.
The site is: filmsonsuper8.com

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2017 10:17 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
400 ft films are pretty spendy then there's shipping

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 03, 2017 03:14 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prices quoted in American dollars include world-wide postage from Australia.

--------------------
Maurice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 04, 2017 05:53 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burton,

This particular company has been mentioned since 8 years ago and the impression still has not changed at all, the price is high:

Aussie's "Films On Super 8"?

I have visited this particular shop back in 1997 and the door always closed.

I visited google map street view to check what has changed from what I have seen 20 years ago...and nothing changes, This is the image:

-

That is exaxctly what I saw in 1997

The red circle on the door is a paper informing the visitor that they are Film on Super 8 selling super 8mm but the shop is closed.

Google map coordinate for "Film on Super 8"

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2017 01:03 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Winbert, and all others for the feedback...I get the "picture'...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 05, 2017 05:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to believe that they appear to have, or had, every Super 8 film issued by the major companies on their lists.
Are they for real?
It would be interesting to know when they acquired their stock, and in what conditions they have been stored.

--------------------
Maurice

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2017 06:42 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have brought films from them over the years, I rung my orders through along with my c/card details, good service, I believe they do not open their shop to the public, just mail order/phone order. All new ex shop stock.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2017 09:14 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our offices is next to a big old house that's operated as a restaurant, - "The Russian Tea House" is what it's called. It's run by an old couple that have been gradually decreasing the hours of operation. Now they're only open for lunch on Fridays. I was just there last week and it looks like nothing on the inside has changed in 20 years.

What does this have to do with "Filmonsuper8.com"?

Like the restaurant, the design of that website hasn't been updated in a very long time. It looks like something you'd see in the late 90s. It seems like more of a hobby than a real business. It's not what you'd want your site to look like in 2017 if you really cared about making money and growing a business.

So I'm not surprised the storefront has a sign that says closed on it. Maybe they do open it up for a few hours once a week or something like that.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 05, 2017 04:19 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that make me wonder, for the said restaurant and this super 8 store, how they pay the rent? They may own the place, but still they have to pay taxes and especially for the restarurant, permit and food inspection.

Maurice, from the previous discussion said that this store used to be "Home Talkie Co." This company is similar to Mountain films in the UK which is more on to distributing films as well as printing.

So Home Talkie imported films from around the world and repacked or put their label/stickers on them. Almost all films I bought from Australia would have their stickers.

It is no wonder they had every Super 8 film issued by the major companies.

I believe during the end of super 8mm (about 1982), they had thousands and thousands titiles. These prints, like the usual business, were still owned by the studios. Studios could take them back and destroy them, but this would imply high shipping cost. The most common way is to put in bargain bins or just to leave them there.

This is the registration numbers of Home Talkie Co.

https://creditorwatch.com.au/express/asic/organisation/001105960/ THE-HOME-TALKIE-COMPANY-OF-AUSTRALIA-PTY-LTD

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2017 06:59 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I've wondered the same things about that restaurant. We pay them some rent to use part of their parking lot for our vans. I don't know how much it is but I doubt it covers the expenses of owning and maintaining the property. Certainly being open for 4 hours a week doesn't do it either.

My guess is that it doesn't really make any financial sense at all. They just aren't ready to give it up yet. Some advice I've gotten on retiring recently is to not really do it, - at least not completely. Ideally, you find some low stress job that you find rewarding and doesn't take up much of your time. It doesn't have to pay the bills. The thought behind that is that people do better emotionally if they have some job that they are compensated for in some way. I wouldn't think it would have to be monetary compensation. People need a purpose.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC