8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex 18-9

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex 18-9
Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2017 06:50 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spotted one of these on eBay. It's a Super 8 projector from 1971/72 designed to take Kodak cartridges or film reels. There were 20,000 made by Eumig in 1971/72, based on their 510 dual gauge model. I bought what proved to be a faulty Eumig 510D for £3 plus postage last year. The Bolex was described as faulty but I was the only bidder at 99p plus postage, of course. I thought it might be useful for spares. It was in very good condition when delivered although the drive belt had broken up. I had one so that was fixed and it worked! The film, though, seemed to be snatched from the supply spool at regular intervals causing an unstable picture. I got round that by flicking the spool forward so that there was a loop of film on the spool. There was a post about this problem a while back. Was a solution found?

|  IP: Logged

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2017 06:43 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried running a 3" 50' reel and there was minimum snatch. I wonder if the other films I tried were wound too tightly on their reels for this projector?

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2017 11:16 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one several years ago at a BFCC, for the f/1.1 lens, so I'm not sure I actually tried to run it. It was one of the projectors designed for the hardly used cartridge system and I'm not surprised it has that snatch problem. It sounds very similar to what I have experienced on a Eumig S903.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2017 03:50 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Brian. The lens was an attraction for me as well. Unlike other projectors, there are no sprockets to feed the film through the projector, just the claw and take-up spool, which can't help.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC