8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Problem with Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problem with Projector
Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted April 23, 2017 11:49 PM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to watch some film tonight but no sound is coming out of the projector. If anyone has any thoughts on what the problem could be it would be greatly appreciated. The projector is a Chinon 9000MV.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 24, 2017 12:08 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Matt! You have pretty much opened up a Pandora's box of possibilities. Could you provide a little more backstory information. When was the last time you use the projector and there was sound? Have you done anything to the projector recently? Was the film you were showing a sound film? Did you have a cable plugged into the speaker port? Was the volume turned up? Was the main control switch moved to sound? As you can see it could be a lot of things. I know some of these are obvious but sometimes if you haven't used your projector for a while these little things can happen. Give us a little more information and we will try to help you out.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 24, 2017 12:24 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is also a very common problem with old projectors. As Janice has pointed out there are some possibilities.

I knew nothing about electronics although have been playing super 8mm projectors for years

I have now Elmo ST-1200 and am facing the same problem.

The cheapest and easiest way to deal with this problem without need to open your projector is to get the desktop computer active speaker. It usually comes with mini jack that you can hook up to the earphone jack on your projector.

If your projector's sound board is still ok basically the sound will come out, which I do in my case.

Cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 24, 2017 05:11 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Chinon 9000MV is for magnetic and optical sound. If playing a magnetic sound film make sure the projector is not set to optical.

--------------------
Maurice

Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted April 24, 2017 07:22 PM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for all the responses. It has been almost a year since I have used the projector. Maybe that is the problem. At first I thought that the speaker was broken so did some trouble shooting and found out the speaker works fine. I believe everything is how it should be on the projector. The volume is up, the switch is set correctly for magnetic sound. Everything is just as I had it when I last used it. I fear this may a problem I won't be able to fix.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 24, 2017 11:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt have you tried as I suggested before by hooking it up with a desktop active speaker?

--------------------
Winbert

Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted April 25, 2017 12:47 AM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure I have the proper jack. Plus, I don't think my projector has an earphone jack.

--------------------
It's 1 o'clock and time for lunch

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 12:56 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, all projectors with recording facility will have that jack. And the jack is always the mini jack, the very same size with desktop speaker. So I bet also in your case.

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 01:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Japanese based Super 8mm Sound projectors more than likely will have these, all other European ones usually do not use 3.5mm Sockets or Jacks.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 25, 2017 01:57 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this model only has 3-pin DIN sockets. That would require an adapter.

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 03:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This model should have a Monitor Jack and a Line Out Jack adjacent to one another. The monitor jack is for an earphone or similar.
The Line Out may be an RCA jack for USA and Canada.

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 25, 2017 09:43 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected Maurice... I checked the Super 8 Database and indeed it has RCA and 3.5 output jacks. Also they are 5-pin DINS, not 3. I would just connect some earphones to the mini jack or the RCA to see if there is any sound coming from the amp.

quote:
output terminal: Monitor, Line-out Track 1, Line-out Track 2, External Speaker (8-16 Ohm)
output jack: Mon: 3.5 mm diameter jack; External Speaker: RCA jack (for Usa/Canada), 2-pin DIN plug (for other countries); Line-out: 2 x RCA jacks (for Usa/Canada), 2 x 3.5 mm diameter jack (for other countries)

--------------------
Janice

Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted April 25, 2017 08:59 PM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I tried hooking up an external speaker and I'm still getting nothing.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 10:49 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok, I tried hooking up an external speaker and I'm still getting nothing.
I am afraid that is the bad part.

This means your internal ampli is no longer working. It might have been burnt.

If you still hear some hisses from the speaker, there is another possibility that the ampli is OK but the sound head does not pik up the sound. It can be the wire get cut or the sound head is totally malfunction (very rare).

--------------------
Winbert

Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted April 25, 2017 11:34 PM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was my fear, that it was a major problem. I am hearing nothing at all from the speaker, not even when I turn the volume all the way up.

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 25, 2017 11:52 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's unfortunate Matt. Your Chinon is a very nice projector and I hate to see it come to a sad end.

If you don't think you can repair your projector...want a replacement...I currently have a couple of sound projectors listed on Ebay. They are both magnetic only machines.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mystarstudios/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

--------------------
Janice

Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted April 26, 2017 10:53 PM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice but I am in need of one that does both magnetic and optical. Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread and tried to help.

--------------------

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2017 10:51 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the amp have a separate fuse that could have blown.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 27, 2017 09:11 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does the amp have a separate fuse that could have blown
That's definitely a possibility Barry. Good suggestion!

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC