8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Somikon HD-XL Film Scanner & Digitizer (Super) 8mm - EU market (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Somikon HD-XL Film Scanner & Digitizer (Super) 8mm - EU market
Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2017 10:46 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

Menu > use arrows left and right to scroll the menu > Frame ADJ > OK >

Best is to adjust the W - zoom out - first to check the center of the frame is ok, then adjust - zoom in - the frame back to the desired zoom factor.

Please note that when you want to capture to maximum size of the frame you need to zoom out and crop the maximum frame in post processing.

X = move the frame up or down
Y = move frame to the left or right
W = zoom in and out

Cheers

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

|  IP: Logged

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2017 10:59 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Berend
Can you adjust it while the scanning is in progress

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2017 10:59 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Berend
Can you adjust it while the scanning is in progress

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2017 11:07 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No you can't. Only when using the Frame ADJ menu option. So check when you have a big reel containing several smaller reels. The may have a different center point.

Advice: take some time to test with your smallest reel (3-5 min) to get accustomed to the menu and settings like exposure and sharpness.

Good luck and have FUN! [Cool]

Cheers

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2017 07:48 PM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

Sorry to bother you again...

I forgot to mention that I use the OOTB 3.5 jack > composite video cable to output the video output signal - scanning / menu scrolling / adjusting scanning parameters / playback - to a 24" computer HP LP2475 Color Edge monitor.

This will give you a much better take on how the film is scanned frame wise (zoom factor) and you'll have a much better and accurate monitoring for the sharpness en exposure. I found the onboard LCD screen not to be very accurate, because of its odd viewing angle. Please give that a try too, for an overall better user experience while using the Somikon.

Please note that it will also show the big flaw in the compression to MP4 department as in WYSIWYG.

Cheers

--------------------

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2017 07:50 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Berend I will use that connection.

I have looked on the menu for frame adjustment but its in German could you give me some idea as to what word I am looking for to adjust frame, or does Somikon do a software update that puts the language of the machine in English.
Thanks

[ July 28, 2017, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2017 08:45 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

It already has all major languages in firmware 20170207-PL05-DE

On/Off > Menu > Sprache > English = you're set to go! [Cool]

Cheers

--------------------

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2017 11:00 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Berend

Could you help us, I am getting aloing fine with my Somikon but I do have a snagging problem, the film is very jumpy after transfer its not smooth viewing if you know what I mean, any ideas please

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2017 04:35 PM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

Great to hear you've got the menu in ENG now, and managed to get along with your scanner, But, I cross my fingers it isn't like this...

Jumping Jack Flash! ;-(

As stated yesterday, my 2nd Somikon is failing on me again already. The right axle is barely turning when at the end of the 7" reel. My new deck also suffers from the JJF illness again.

Tomorrow I hope to finish my detailed e-mail for both Pearl and Somikon. Keep ya all posted!

Cheers

--------------------

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2017 02:45 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Berend

Yes my picture is exactly like your Jumping Jack Flash is please let me know the outcome of your email to somikon

Thanks

Peter

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2017 09:15 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

I just found out that Somikon is a re-branding name of the website pearl.de for all goodies "Made in China". I did not see any information about any product "Made in Germany"!

Just filed for an exchange, but also asked them for some more feedback about our issues with the Somikon. Keep you posted of course.

Cheers

BTW: May the best team win tonight in the Euro 2017 match #NEDENG tonight! HUP HOLLAND! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2017 10:17 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Berend
I think its to do with the take up arm motor assy, this seems to be a problem with the Wolverine unit as well.
Im going to sit on the fence as to the Euro 2017 match but good luck to both sides

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2017 10:43 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

Yes, and I believe that the JJF issue is also caused by that, because the film is not taken up in the speed its needs to be. Resulting the film having no free space to move and bulging up and down in the scan area. To be continued.

[ August 03, 2017, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Berend De Meyer ]

--------------------

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2017 10:40 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received an e-mail from Somikon a.k.a. Pearl for my second exchange. Despite the info I shared, I got no feedback on any of the possible (now known) issues...

--------------------

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2017 11:03 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Berend,
Why don`t they put you in touch with the manufacturer,so you can explain what is going wrong, I`m still holding fire till they get yours sorted,
Regardfs,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2017 11:22 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James,

The e-mailadress I found on the Somikon website is the same for the Pearl website. I wish I could talk/mail to a tech-savy person at the manufacturers end of this tail too.

Pearl and Somikon are what we call "box-shifters" in The Netherlands. It's indeed a pitty that they don't have any technical support here in the EU. The few users I know so far could provide them with so much detailed information for some serious re-engineering and changing the form factor for the most critical parts used for this machine. But hey, it will cost us some serious $ getting a new Somikon 3.0.

User @Mike got a new motor for his Wolverine. I don't think Somikon will do so too and I'm glad about that. They'll just keep exchanging I hope!

--------------------

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2017 10:48 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Berend,

Apparantly, Made in China (most likely by Winaid in Guangdong, China) I hope this helps.
Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2017 10:57 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks James, google took me to the Somikon HD-XL wiki page!

--------------------

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 02:46 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Berend
It seems the Wolverine and Somikon are made by Winaid in Guangdong, China, im going to see if I can get any contact details of Winaid

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 03:50 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter, that would be great! Our new member @Pere is trying to tweak the firmware for the NOVATEK video chip. I do hope we could get in touch with Winaid and encourage the developers to make some really much needed changes to the firmware of both brands of the scanner.

Thanks for your work!

--------------------

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 07:28 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Berend

The Wolverine & Somikon are both made by a company called Winait Technologies here is their web site details http://www.winait.com/
if you scroll down to the bottom you will find contact details, I have just asked about the take up motor assembly.
Peter

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2017 02:56 PM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

Thanks for that. I just troubleshooted the JJF-syndrome of our Somikon. It seems that the gate-hatch (when closed) doesn't have enough downforce anymore - after using several reels - to hold down the film in the scanning area. To the inside of the hatch there is a little two sided rail fixed with two screws.

-

1. Flexible rail on the upper side - you can press it upwards
2. Fixed rail on the lower side

When closed:

-

3. The item to open the gate-hatch seems to get loose after opening/closing it over time (very little so it seems in my case), giving the film not enough downwards force to keep the film 100% flat while it goes through the scanning area of the gate.

4. When I put just a little pressure for more downforce in area 4, the JJF-effect is gone!

I needed to check this first before sending it back so I can send my feedback to Somikon per e-mail too.

--------------------

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2017 04:43 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Berend I will give that a go, Winait is sending me another take up motor foc, I will fit that and see what happens
Peter

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2017 06:32 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Thanks for keeping up the good work, I`m very interested in the outcome.

--------------------
James Wilson

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2017 09:50 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Adding another item on my [b]need-to-have list[/] for my email with my feedback to Somikon/Pearl. They should add the gliders 2 & 3 on the left side so the inlet for the gate has a slight pull force by the extra 2 gliders. This will keep the film much more horizontal without the JJF issue.

-

Does this make any sense regarding the technical side of the art of projectors?

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC