8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film scanner: Retro/MovieStuff/Flash vs Wolverine/Somikon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film scanner: Retro/MovieStuff/Flash vs Wolverine/Somikon
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 01, 2017 01:01 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

Until 2 years ago, we only knew MovieStuff, Retro Scan or Flashscan for commercially made 8mm film scanner. Tehy were priced $3000 above.

Now suddenly we can buy $300 scanner to do the same.

Now, what do you guys think for the result comparison in laymen' eyes.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 01, 2017 04:56 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert....The Wolverine mechanical process of frame-by-frame capture I do like. It's not robust...but with a little babying it seems to work. It's the image compression that is the problem for me. I haven't seen an example from the Wolverine yet that the results weren't over compressed pixelated jagged-edge images. If you could output just the images into another post processing application, then you could control the compression and have more options, but I won't be running out to buy one anytime soon.

All I can say is...You get what you pay for.There are dozens of ways to telecine...and if the $300 machine helps preserve their memories and the quality meets their expectations...then so be it. Maybe future models will have more flexibility and compression options.

[ May 01, 2017, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2017 03:12 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Janice, absolutely you get what you pay for. I'm not at all impressed with the Wolverine's ability to represent what's actually on the film - it's just not that accurate. But for the price, well, the fact that it works is pretty dandy.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC