8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Welcome to the "Land of Parts Only"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Welcome to the "Land of Parts Only"
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 06, 2017 09:13 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly...The next step from here is the landfill [Frown]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 09:15 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 06, 2017 10:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's so sad. Kind of like the Island of Misfit Projectors....

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 07, 2017 12:38 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice is there anything worth keeping like the transformer, screws, lamp holder?, etc [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 07, 2017 03:20 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham ... Just last week I scrounged the handle of the junker Sankyo, so the projectors are not ready for the landfill just yet. It's just that I moved all the non-working projectors out to the garage today. I needed room in my closets because one of my sons is temporarily moving back home tomorrow. The projectors will remain in the "Land of Parts Only" for a time. It's kind of a way station [Smile] I will eventually do a final dismantling for motors, transformers, screws, springs, etc. It's just seeing them all together now on the shelf got me to thinking this is the beginning of the end....a little sad.

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 07, 2017 09:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice
Why landfill?
Do you not have recycling centres in the U.S.?

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 07, 2017 12:03 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Maurice... recycling is the procedure here in the Silicon Valley. Perhaps I was being a little overly dramatic. I was just using the term landfill generically. The process of recycling doesn't make me feel any better. No matter what the next destination is for these vintage machines their original purpose has been terminated.

--------------------
Janice

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2017 02:03 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a camera I was hoping to resurrect but it would have required some parts that were no longer being made. So I got another parts camera of the same model and ended up with one very good working one.

The remains of the other I listed as being free on craigslist and someone said they wanted it. When they came buy I asked what they were going to do with it. I had hoped he was going to fix it but he said it was just going to go into his parts bin. After a longer conversation I got the impression that he was much more interested in acquiring parts than actually fixing stuff. I wished I hadn't asked.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC