8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Pictures From CineSea 15 Spring 2017 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Pictures From CineSea 15 Spring 2017
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2017 03:24 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Finally got going on this, what with work and all. I have a start on it, so there may be some gaps in postings; we'll see.
You know the drill: I post to the picture limit, then someone posts a line or two, and I continue, so we keep everything in one thread.

---------------------------------------------------------

Cinesea 15: Springtime in Wildwood.

Show no. 15....who would have thought it would happen? John Black's dream lives on just fine.
As usual, I drove up from DC with Gary Crawford (who comes from Manassas, VA) and as usual we had a fun ride together, with trivia, a good lunch and general craziness to while away the miles. The forecast had looked great, and it didn't let us down.
The weather was fantastic, with temperatures eventually reaching the high 70es.

At the Ocean Holiday Motel, the room awaited, plain, unadorned, but soon to be filled with film, projectors, talk and laughter:
 -

To kick off things, Doug Meltzer had ordered a custom frame for the big screen we use Friday and Saturday night. The corners and braces give an idea of the quality of the setup:
 -

We had the luxury of trimming the pipes to exactly the right height for the room, to maximize the picture size, using a pipe cutter:
 -

...and the final result was well worth it: a large, tight surface for high-quality projecting:
 -

An early bird on Thursday was Shorty Caruso who put together quite a display of vintage boxes and literature:
 -

The same Mr. Caruso got us going Friday morning to come to beautiful Cape May (not far down the road) to have breakfast at Uncle Bill's Pancake House. That's Mike Lattavo, Jason Smith, Jack Cleveland and Shorty:
 -

You can forget about diets (kept or attempted) when you come to Wildwood [Big Grin] Uncle Bill's is one example. My only excuse is: "I don't normally eat this much for breakfast":
 -

..more to come...
C.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 06, 2017 03:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We missed the Thursday Preliminaries!

-maybe someday!

I'm glad Shorty got to eat at Uncle Bill's. The one in Cape May is quite nice.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 03:34 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks yummy [Razz]

Cinesea certainly looks like a collectors dream day out. Just like our conventions here full of like minded collectors. Paradise. [Wink]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 04:15 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug's new screen looks great! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2017 04:43 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meet Shelley, the lady who holds it all together at the Ocean Holiday Motel. She knows all of the regulars by now, and she's been known to put a room on standby for someone even if she hasn't heard from them about coming to the show....that's the kind of relationship we have at our "home away from home" :-)
 -

Another thing we do to improve picture quality is to hang black cloth over the diffused windows. This knocks down ambient light considerably, even on sunny days:
 -

People arrived from Thursday through Saturday. Here, Jason (coming from Japan) greets David Baker (from No. Carolina):
 -

Time to get the gear up! Joe Vannicola showed up with his trusty Bell and Howell:
 -

...Gary Crawford had his workhorse Pageant (among others):
 -

...Doug brought his GS-1200 Xenon:
 -

...aaand Steve Klare, Jr. brought his Yelco projector and carved out a space for himself to enjoy his 200-footers:
 -

Things were getting well underway. More next time.
C.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 06, 2017 05:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven showed his first sound film on my Elmo ST-800 "Travel Projector" that day.

That's one small step for man...

(He just helped with the lighting at his school Musical: he seems ready.)

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 05:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pics thanks Steve!

You're young man is there now Steve. A young mature adult judging by the photos. Be proud when it is soon he who is operating the Xenon at Cinesea.( Not too far off by the looks of things).

Well done Mr Klare jnr! 😊😊

Our youngest son has just this past week graduated in Motion Design (Stop Motion)
My wife and I are brimming with pride! 😊

The next Nick Park with any luck.😂😂

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 06:29 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky you !

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 09:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant [Cool] [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 09:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Dom, and I knew Ham & Eggs (over easy) would have to get a look in somewhere! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Great photo's of the event guys and keep em comin' [Wink]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 07, 2017 12:40 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are those free range eggs? [Smile]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2017 03:55 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do eggs range, or just the chickens that lay them??? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 07, 2017 04:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just the chickens and the way they are kept.
Free range and battery isn't it?
Organic also.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 07, 2017 05:25 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nevertheless, the chickens crossed the road to the Ocean Holiday Motor Inn to join the gathering of Film Collectors. There, the film loving fowl were given free range to roam freely and peck out, er.... check out the prints and equipment that were on display.

That gets us back on topic!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2017 10:56 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...thank you, Doug, and now back to the free-range collectors [Big Grin] .

I ain't the same until two things happen. One, the official banner is hung:
 -

...and the "Airyflex" is inflated and placed (no, it's not 4 feet tall; that's just the perspective..):
 -

Thanks must be given to Doug, Shorty and these two gents, Lou Franchetti and Lou, Jr, for all their work on our behalf in getting this event together twice a year. Much appreciated, without them, it wouldn't happen:
 -

Friday rolled on; selling and buying was well underway:
 -

Evan Samaras and his brother checked out the goods at the Franchettis' table:
 -

As always, every genre and every kind of edition, from silent shorts to full-length features, were represented:
 -

Meanwhile, these two beasts, brought by Geoffrey, were waiting to go into action for the first big event of the show: the Friday Night Feature:
 -

Next chapter coming soon....
C.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 07, 2017 12:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lou and Lou always have a box of Blackhawk Laurel and Hardies. This is often my first stop after I get there.

It's entirely possible the Franchettis are the origin of the majority of my L&H library now, including the jewel in the crown: an "Unaccustomed as We Are" with sound. I looked for one of these on E-bay for years, then one day I'm standing there at the Ocean Holiday thumbing through the Blackhawks and there it was!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 07, 2017 12:44 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope there will be more pictures [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2017 06:39 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Steve says, you never know what "The Two Lous" will have available. One show I walked away with "Freaks" in 16mm, thanks to them.

The Friday Feature has joined our regular big event, the Saturday Dinner, as something to look forward to. As you may have seen, on the forum we have a poll to select the film to be shown, and this time it was "Beetlejuice" in 16mm that won.
Dinner is kept easy on Fridays; we had a choice of pizzas and Italian subs and salads for carry-out, so we could get going with the films at a reasonable hour.

A collaborative effort, this time with Gary Sloan bringing the PA system and Geoffrey bringing the Xenon 550W machines, we strive for a 'pro' screening.
The sound goes through a mixer to two self-powered JBL speakers:
 -

The chairs get set:
 -

Technical issues get worked out. Gary Sloan's machine in the middle runs the previews and shorts:
 -

Geoffrey threads the feature. We worked with changeover on the machines:
 -

We started with a selection of shorts and trailers, a very nice reel of "2001" included:
 -

...and "Beetlejuice" is up and running:
 -

-

Friday night ended with an atypical but appropriate foggy night (real-live film noir...) and we all slept very well after a long day of film fun:
 -

Next up: Saturday.
C.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 07, 2017 06:44 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pics #6 & 7 are from Beetlejuice, not Poltergeist...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2017 06:48 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they are...weird naming mistake on my part [Roll Eyes]
Now corrected.
C.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 07, 2017 07:44 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the pictures. I'm waiting for the next ones [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 02:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Really superb captures once again Claus!

Thanks for posting them all and keep them all coming please.
Some fantastic audio/visual equipment on display there. [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 12:06 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent photos.
How did you run changeovers? Manually or did you have a changeover sync?
I've always wanted to.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 08, 2017 01:23 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Gary & Geoff performed the changeovers manually and they did it perfectly. Since the audience knows a thing or two about projection there's always someone who shouts out "nice changeover!"

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 03:00 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent 😃

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC