8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Where oh where is Kodaks new super 8 service?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where oh where is Kodaks new super 8 service?
Daniel Dematio
Junior

- posted May 09, 2017 06:02 PM      Profile for Daniel Dematio   Email Daniel Dematio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody.

When we heard about the new Kodak camera and online,film digitised service, it was super good news for super 8 enthusiasts. Press releases suggested the camera/servic would be here by now. Has anybody got solid intel on whether this will actually happen or is this a dead duck already. I know many who would love to try the super 8 process/digitise service, after all it's film sales that will drive Kodak's profits long term.

--------------------
Time wounds all heals

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 09, 2017 06:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel, this is the latest I have heard regarding the "Super 8mm Revival" as a whole.

This came from a recent newsletter from Van Eck Video Services.
Still nothing concrete, but it does look as though something at least will eventually happen now the portal has it's backers in place here in the UK. [Wink]

"The Super8 Web Portal

You might know Juergen Lossau, as the former editor-in-chief of the small format magazine or as the author of books about movie cameras and projectors. Now he wants to start something new. A web portal for everyone that uses the super8 film format. So you want to start or already love super8? Then this is your place to be!

Why should you join?

The Super 8 Web Portal is intended to bring together current filmmakers and newcomers, to present both old and new film projects and to offer a massive online archive of more than 1,000 curated small format films. Active filmmakers and gear collectors alike will find the information they need, with the world’s largest online archive of 3,900 cameras and 3,500 projectors.

Super 8 has been quiet for 30 years, but a small worldwide following of around 2,500 filmmakers is keeping the medium alive. Following traditional film photography, instant photos and vinyl records, this medium is now poised to take a ride on the retro express. Kodak has introduced a new Super 8 camera and reintroduced Ektachrome color reversal film. Ferrania (Italy) and Adox (Germany) are creating new film stocks for Super 8. Other companies are also researching and developing Super 8 cameras and film. The time has come to provide an information resource to support these developments. A portal featuring modern responsive design, which functions on home computers as well as smartphones.

But most of all this web portal is written by a professional team of super8 enthusiasts, the information you’ll find is accurate, true, and checked by the authors before they post it.

Click here for the crowdfunding campaign for The Super 8 Web Portal. The first 130+ backers already gave their support! The website is like the magazine`s Juergen used to make, but this is much more expanded, and very important it is up to date.

And please spread the word, share this idea for a new worldwide super8 community. If we don't find more people that are willing to shoot super8 cartridges this brilliant analogue format will be gone within a decade. We must do everything to keep super8 alive. Celluloid can only be accessible if we all continue to use it, everyone.

Thank You For Your Support!"

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2017 09:18 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel,

6 months ago I was pretty skeptical of Kodak's plans regarding Super 8 and they are definitely taking much longer than they had originally proposed.

This time last year their new camera seemed to be nothing more than a prop. But since then it appears they have made real progress and recently they announced that ektachrome is coming back. That's no guarantee of course that the camera and associated service will ever actually come to market but I'm more optimistic now than I was.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC