8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Are You Being Served?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are You Being Served?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 08, 2017 01:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has this feature film of the TV show, ever been found as a super 8 optical sound feature?

I ask as, "Rising Damp" was a super 8 optical sound feature, released at the almost same time as "Are You Being Served", so i hold out hope.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2017 05:43 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Rising Damp" was an ITV production whereas "Are You Being Served?" came from the BBC, the rival TV broadcaster.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2017 01:48 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the films themselves are not from TV companies. The property is licensed to a third party for a film to be made. Are you Being Served was an Anglo -EMI production. Rising Damp was a Black Lion/ ITC production.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 09, 2017 12:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting info, folks!

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 10, 2017 02:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not worth waiting for.

--------------------
Maurice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 10, 2017 02:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1977 cinema version of "Are You Being Served" was on British television in April this year, and, frankly, it was terrible. Just proving that a normal half-hour TV show should not be elongated to 95 minutes.

The staff of Grace Bros take a trip to the Costa Plonka whilst the store is being remodelled.

The beginning set in the store was acceptable normal store fun, but when they arrived at their hotel it all escalated into rubbish.

--------------------
Maurice

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2017 02:35 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Are you being Served the film is a real guilty pleasure of mine - I love it - I went to see it when it was on general release over here in the late 70's - although politically incorrect - who cares - its a great slice of British Comedy with the original cast. I have it on DVD - but I'd love a copy on super 8 - optical or 16mm.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2017 03:06 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just goes to show - one mans meat.................etc. But I tend to agree that the film was not of the standard of the TV episodes.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2017 03:06 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the story has been used both as a film and a stage play. I've seen both and find them much inferior to the TV show.

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2017 05:26 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree TV to feature film goes off the boil are you being served,porridge,rising damp etc but at least we got them

--------------------
kinema king

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted June 10, 2017 05:35 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Porridge and Rising Damp were both really good.

The super 8 400 footer of Porridge from Walton is worth hunting down as well done and keeps the feel of the film.

George and Mildred was very pale compared to the sitcom, Man about the House was OK ish, Bless this house was OK, Dads Army was very good.

Are there any otrhers beside Are you being served.

I think there may have been one about the languade school ?

Best Mark.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2017 06:33 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mind your language, Mark, another slice of terrible TV..Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2017 10:36 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot Please Sir 400ft extract and 4x400 mini feature from Walton.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 10, 2017 12:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the first 30 minutes are literally like a episode of the TV show, but I thought it was a nice change of pace (the feature) and it's a fun slice of British Comedy, the likes that would never be made these days (well, by what I see coming out now on the BBC, although "Still Open" is a decent reboot of the classic).

--------------------

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2017 01:54 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you being served did get issued to the libraries on 16mm. I have a copy which has survived with good colour

They are variable for sure but I have a liking for the 1970's adaptations from sitcoms.

So far I have tracked down:-

Rising Damp - 16mm
Are you Being Served - 16mm
Man About the House - 35mm
Steptoe & Son Ride again - 16mm
Father Dear Father - 16mm
Please Sir! - Walton 4x400 Super 8
Bless This House - both 16mm & Powell 4x400 Super 8
Porridge - 16mm
Up Pompeii - 35mm

[ June 11, 2017, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Clive Carmock ]

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2017 05:43 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As people have already said - "horses for courses" - I love the feature length spin offs of British Comedy Shows - I have Porridge full length optical print and Rising Damp full length optical print as well as the walton 4x400ft of Please Sir and the PM or Powell release of Up Pompeii - these features, although couldn't and wouldn't be made or remade today in this era of Political Correctness - still have a place in British Film History and especially in the world of collecting prints as these very well known comedic stars need to be remembered - for the humour they brought into our homes and at the cinema for many more years to come.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC