8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Beaulieu: Fast & Easy Speed Setting Procedure (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Beaulieu: Fast & Easy Speed Setting Procedure
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 17, 2017 01:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you've checked your capstan drive belt also Stuart and everything looks ok?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2017 02:28 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. OK. So, I tried running a film without the capstan drive belt attached, and it sounded just fine. I have now reattached the belt and it sounds... Just fine. No trace of the flutter I was experiencing. Er, seems to be fixed?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 17, 2017 02:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird Stuart but maybe the belt was just mistracking slightly if it partially had slipped out of the machined groove in the flywheel etc.

Surprised to hear it was ok without the capstan drive motor in circuit though????

Either way, a result with no expenditure! [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2017 02:42 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who knows? Maybe running it and running it trying to find what the problem was just loosened up something? Whatever it was, I've run 800ft so far with no problems.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 17, 2017 02:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's all the matters Stuart, the fact that you now have no problems.

I haven't found this aspect of my main machine to be anything other than 100% reliable to date Stuart, so other than dabbling in the research aspect of all this Capstan drive theory, I have absolutely no experience yet regarding any practical repair work on this part of the machine.

My other one (like yours),I haven't had too long and don't use it too much either to be honest, but again, no hassles at all to date.

So I've had the Stereo one nigh on 5 years at least now, so if used regularly and handled and stored correctly, with respect, I'd say you'd be pretty unlucky if you continue to see regular problems with your machine.

I've found them totally reliable so far. [Smile]
All of my problems, mainly amplifier related, were present when I first got the machine but since getting it all sorted, it's worked like a dream, used almost daily since.

I changed the main motor out also in the early days but I since was able to fix the problem on the tacho coil original motor and that was only due to the cables being originally permanently soldered on the tacho terminals, which now they are not, so that won't ever happen again thankfully.

Dry joints can be an issue on these now, but that applies to any machine of this age and especially those heavily laden in electronics.

I think the main thing with all our projectors now is to use them regularly and store them well.
I now have too many to use them all regularly and so I try and concentrate on using my most valued in order of priority to me, to keep these at least healthy and fully working at all times.

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2017 12:51 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stu, Andrew,

Happy to ear « flutter » is probably due to a poor transmission phenomenon between Motor and Flywheel for this particular case.

This is cohesive with a belt slipping issue. (means film speed , in heads area, is maxi 24 fps and below , 20 fps and for a 1 or 2 sec period , …… for exemple).
So, I suggest :
A) Check Motor/Flywheel pulleys alignment (they have to work in a same plane)
B) Check Belt condition (more particularly looseness , dry rubber material , loss of material elasticity)
C) Remove belt and gently dry both pulleys grooves using a light thinner (removing grease evidences or any dust deposit)
Anyway, If any doubt, do not hesitate to renew Capstan belt.

Also , as above mentioned suggestion , check driving regularity/smoothness between Pinch-roller and Capstan shaft with a piece of film leader (machine powered OFF).
As necessary, lubricate ball bearings (with a spray, thin oil, Flywheel removal and pinch Roller could be necessary) initialy.

Important : If Pinch-roller has to be removed, don’t forget to turn CLOCKWISE for retaining screw removal.
Do not overtorque during screw re installation (Lubricate threads, 2 "tip fingers" torque only).

Back to your speeds recording, I forget to tell you that the equivalent fluctuation is not 0,3fps but………………0,1fps actually !!!!
(Because I forget take account of speed ratio between pulleys which is around 1/3.... [Wink] ).

So, records are very, very acceptable and your Electronic Card / Capstan Motor system seem to be healthy enough at this time.

Let us know

NB:

If now, Stu machine is running smoothly for a long , I like the idea of a fixing issue without "almost expenditure" (exepted FREQUENCEMETER-MULTIMETER investment) and a fast DIY process closed loop

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2017 01:25 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Phil, I think it would be sensible to lubricate and change belts now as I don't know the history of the machine.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2017 01:51 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Stu, Simple, Easy, Fast, and efficient at the end.....

May be Andrew will agree :

BEAULIEU's 708 family are certainly the easiest machines to Maintain and Troubleshoot among S8 projectors !! [Wink]

You love it for a long !!!!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 18, 2017 04:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
In some respects from my limited experience so far with these I agree Phil.

For example here are some examples of tasks which are some of the easiest I've ever come across on any Super 8mm Projector,..

1/ changing a drive belt- can be done in seconds by opening just the lamp house cover.

2/ changing the main motor- very straightforward layout with plenty of access room to remove the fan cowl, the fan and then the motor.

3/servicing the cam lobe, adjusting the claw- quite probably the easiest and most self explanatory layout I've ever come across to successfully carry out any of these duties.

However there are aspects of these machines which are certainly no easier to diagnose regarding these machines than many others and in some cases, just through complexity alone, many others are easier to understand and therefore diagnose.
Not least, the amplifier section for the Stereo machines and their quirky individual and unique features, that don't always make too much common sense regarding certain configurations.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC