8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Slipping projector belts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slipping projector belts
Gary Lee Hammond
Junior

- posted June 15, 2017 03:56 PM      Profile for Gary Lee Hammond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got 2 new belts for an Elmo ST600. The belt on the take up reel/spool is slipping. Is there a belt dressing that would eliminate the slipping? I've pulled off the cover on the arm and the gears work freely as does the shaft the pulley is on. Once a few feet of film is on the takeup it start to slip. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2017 05:23 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a product called Roller Rejuvenator on my turntable's rubber drive wheel when it starts slipping. It works pretty good for that application.

Roller Rejuvenator

I have used Belt conditioner in industrial applications but not on a projector.

Belt Conditioner

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2017 05:28 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary,
Welcome to the forum!

Normally, these belts do not nor should slip. If they do, my first thought would be regarding the type of belts and where you got them. You really want the square OEM type for the elmos.

if the belts turn out to be good, then i would look to make sure the top reel holder is not cracked.
https://shop.van-eck.net/PP-0062.html?_globalsearch=pp-0062
(see pics at link to see where to check)

A slipping clutch is also possible and can be tightened should it not be the other above options.

Someone else may have an idea as well...

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2017 12:58 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary,
Strangely enough, I had the exact same problem recently. The top belt was slipping resulting in the take up reel not turning, resulting in an ever growing pile of film on the floor. I ordered a set of belts from a company that does replacements via ebay, put them both on and the problem was still there. I think the belt is slightly too big.

I decided to try wrapping something around one of the shafts to give the belt something to grip onto and also make it tighter. First I tried a thin elastic band, the smallest I could find which still needed wrapping round about 3 times - this didn't work, it still slipped. Then I tried cutting a thin strip of masking tape and wrapping it around - this didn't work either, still too slippy. Finally I tried cutting a thin strip from a roll of double sided foam, the sort that is used to stick plastic hooks to the wall, and wrapping that around one of the shafts - this has so far worked, although it hasn't had a proper test yet, with a full take up reel.

An unauthodox solution I know, and it may not last, but I couldn't think of anything else.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2017 01:03 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could the slipping belt be a symptom of another problem, like something needing lubrication?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 17, 2017 06:10 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the belts slip its often oil or grease in the "V" of the pulleys that the belt fits into, try cleaning these out first, then clean the belts before refitting.
Just use a good de-greasing cleaner and get it right into the pulleys pitch or groove.

Gary Lee Hammond
Junior

- posted June 17, 2017 07:16 PM      Profile for Gary Lee Hammond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all of you for your ideas. I did clean the pulleys before putting on the new belt with alcohol and q tips. I also disassembled the takeup arm and checked the gears and clutch. I'm thinking like Phil Slater that the belt might be too short as we may have ordered from the same ebay seller. My seller has offered to send me a shorter one although I mentioned to him Matthew's comment about the originals being square which was on mine but stretched out. Hopefully the shorter one will work.

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2017 03:03 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, please could you let me know if your replacement belt works. My solution seems to be working for now with the foam on both sides, but I would rather have a better belt.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 18, 2017 03:37 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the same problem now and again. I think once giving a belt a clean with washing up liquid and warm water, followed by drying without handling helped, even though there was no sign of the belt being even slightly greasy.

However, there IS a product called Belt Grip - I have an aerosol of it, having heard about it years ago from Bill Parsons. It now seems to generally be called Belt Slip, which seems odd as it helps to prevent slipping! It makes the surface of the belt sticky and therefore makes it grip better. It has proved very useful with at least two problem belts I've had, on Eiki 16mm projectors, including one motor belt that kept falling off! But it could mask another problem, so I'd generally try to rule out other issues, and then check that all looks fine once it has been applied. I'd be reasonably optimistic it would rectify Phil's problem, if that isn't a too little tension issue.

It used to be hard to find and expensive, but here's a reasonably-priced example on ebay: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pma-Belt-Slip-Aerosol -Lubricant-Maintenance-Spray-500ml-/262497944047?hash=item3d1e18c1ef:g:KN0AAOSwGIRXbqgB

Incidentally, I've had one or two Elmos where the 'official' square belts produced terrible rattling and I had to switch to 'wrong' round belts to avoid this!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 18, 2017 03:50 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could i ask where the new belts are from?
a belt only has o be too big by 1 or 2mm's and you wont stop it slipping. i replaced one on our ST180 and when the machine was hot i noticed a "chinging" sound. when i took the cover off i noticed that the rewind belt was drooping enough to keep bouncing off the shutter. We recently got another new one from a different source and its at least 2/3mm's smaller and now works fine. That first belt had only done a few hours worth of films.
It would be ideal if anyone on here has any official belt sizes for various models. [Wink]

Gary Lee Hammond
Junior

- posted June 29, 2017 04:59 PM      Profile for Gary Lee Hammond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil Slater: I got the replacement belt, not sure exactly how much shorter from my ebay supplier here in California. He went out of his way and sent me another at no cost. Before I put it on and opened up the back again I tried the original one he has sent and to my surprise, no slipping yet. Puzzling, all I can imagine is the belt needed some conditioning?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC