8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ektasound 245 noisy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ektasound 245 noisy?
Frank Colosimo
Junior

- posted June 18, 2017 06:43 PM      Profile for Frank Colosimo   Email Frank Colosimo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got out my Ektasound 245 projector and super 8 sound films the other day to give them a try. I have not used the projector since the 80s and it has been stored in a cool dry place. Still, I was a bit nervous as to what would happen. All appeared well as I turned it on with no film, so I spooled up a movie which projected OK. What I don't like is the loud chattering that the projector makes as it does its thing. I don't remember it being that loud - I can hardly hear the audio! It might need some kind of lube, but I know nothing about that. Any ideas on what I should do?
Thanks in advance for any advice to this newbie!!
Frank

--------------------
Frank

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 19, 2017 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank,

Welcome!

I'm concerned that maybe there is some scrap of film broken in the transport path after the gate. This could make a lot of noise, and possibly damage the film being shown, but you might not notice any difference on screen because the film in the gate hasn't gotten there yet.

Another possibility is you may be operating with a cracked gear. Later Kodak projectors and cameras were actually pretty decent when new, but unfortunately as the years pass the gears get brittle and crack. This can make a lot of noise. (Kind of like driving on a flat tire.)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Frank Colosimo
Junior

- posted June 21, 2017 07:59 PM      Profile for Frank Colosimo   Email Frank Colosimo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve!
I will check into the innards. I took a quick peek initially and it did not seem apparent how to get anything apart to inspect the innards, but a more determined effort is needed so I will give it a go.

Frank

--------------------
Frank

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC