8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Yet another series of posts on ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yet another series of posts on ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2017 11:41 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm sure that even i have asked this same question sometime over the years, but I'd be a t a loss to try to find it on here, therefore ...

I am running out of my ECCO film cleaner. What kind of cleaner I want to find is this ...

Which film cleaner is BEST at not only cleaning you're films, but also at filling in hair-line scratches on film?

This ecco seesm to be made more of alcohol than anything else and quite frankly, it's always made me wonder that with every cleaning i do, I'm drying out the film further, as it has a strong alcohol base to it.

So, i want to find a film cleaner that really lubricates a film, makes it stronger and longer lasting ...

any suggestions, friends? [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2017 11:59 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WD40, Works wonders, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Edouard Dubertret
Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2017 12:57 PM      Profile for Edouard Dubertret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked so many times on forums to have this answer...
Apparently the best is FILMGUARD but very hard to find it in Europe now.
Otherwise FILMRENEW is pretty good (I use this one).

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2017 08:12 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, the problem with FilmGuard (buy it on through Amazon) is it's SO expensive. The blessing of FilmGuard is that it does exactly what you described using a very modest quantity, and so it lasts for years unless you're doing 35mm. Amazing for cleaning residues or embedded dirt as well as lubricating mag tracks, and unlike WD40 and silicone-containing products, leaves no problematic residue behind.

I've tried several things, and other products have their uses, but for day-to-day cleaning, prepping, and line removal, it's FilmGuard.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 24, 2017 12:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm Film Guard!

Thanks Bill! [Smile]

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2017 05:01 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, have you ever used it? Sounds like Ecco's been your go-to.

Should you decide to try FilmGuard, please review it for us, hopefully comparatively!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 28, 2017 11:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've used this one bottle of ECCO for about 5 years, and it's getting close to it's end. The main problem with it, is that it appears to be mostly alcohol based and I'm afraid it might be drying the film as it cleans them, which in the long run, isn't good for films, hence the desire for a really good lubricating film cleaner. I will try film-guard.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2017 12:33 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best is FilmGuard, no question.

BUT...use very sparingly on super 8.

It will not entirely hide scratches although I've never used a film cleaner that really does. A scratched film is like a scratched record...damage is done.

The benefits are a clean, smoother running film that can be stored for years without detrimental effect.

It's simply the best product out there for treating film and I've pretty much used them all over the years.

It isn't cheap, but neither are film prints.

No doubt some will still put numerous, dubious lubricants all over their prints... [Frown]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2017 01:18 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve at Reel Image sells filmguard. I am still using the bottle I bought back in 2006. I have cleaned miles and miles of film. The stuff is great.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2017 02:16 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Bill, it was developed by our very own super 8 forum founder for use in theatrical and professional presentation.

It's the best. End of...

I was once commented upon here on the forum for either having a small collection of films or a massive bottle of Film Guard, as I am still using the one I bought from a professional cinema provider back in 2005.

I have both a massive film collection and a professional size bottle of Film Guard for use in 35mm cinema.

Still using the same bottle with equally good results on 8mm.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 28, 2017 02:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to FilmGuard...what does "use sparingly" actually equate to in quantity. Could someone who has used it be more specific to how to and how much to apply on a cloth or pad if that is the application method?

How do you know if you are using too much and what are the adverse effects if you do?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2017 03:00 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, I've used it for over a decade on super 8 polyester and acetate.

Before that, I used numerous other cleaners...and some then since for various, more vigorous cleaning qualities.

I've used cleaners sold and recommended by "film" dealers that ruin film, alcohol cleaners melting precious film bases...

I'm at work today, but will happily post my own, very honest findings in the next few days, if that's what people here want to hear...

I suspect they don't...just want to spray generic water dispelants all over the place...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2017 05:38 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark. WD40 is often demonised as being abrasive and inappropriate but my experience is that it does the job without any damage and far cheaper than alternatives. Who knows what the 'recommended ' cleaners are made up of.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2017 08:07 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, I use a film editor, dip a #2 artist's brush into the Filmguard and apply it to both sides of the film between the reels. I then lightly sandwich the film between a piece of cotton cloth, using my thumb and index finger, and wind about 100' of film through. The process is repeated, until the end of the film, using a different part of the cloth each time. When I rewind the film, I sandwich it again with the cloth to mop up any surplus. Filmguard is expensive to buy in bulk but goes a long way. I've cleaned several thousand feet of film with just 5ml. You can get it in small quantities if you browse the web for it.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2017 11:36 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All.

I`ve said this before & will say it again,
I use Cresclean film cleaner, have done for years with
no problems, give it a go.
Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2017 07:45 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just had a look at the MSDS for WD-40 hoping to get an idea of what lubricants are in it but only find a mixture of 5 petroleum oils. That's not too different in theory from Vitafilm, FilmRenew, or FilmGuard. In practicality they function quite differently due to the rate of evaporation and WD-40's much heavier petroleum residue.

The other concern about WD-40 is what's in the "other" 10% of non-volatile and unlisted ingredients. THOSE are of great concern to film collectors.

I know it's cheap, but I'm concerned that you get what you pay for.

Janice, a few drops of FilmGuard on cotton for every 50-100 feet of 8mm or 16mm is GENEROUS. It should leave a light film behind, not a thick wet layer. I usually apply it running forward then do a straight wipe-down in the reverse direction, which slightly improves the evenness of the application. If money were no object, I'd get a Film-O-Clean to apply it because it would be done evenly and could do it during projection.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2017 04:53 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a couple of 10ml bottles of FilmGuard last year from a third party supplier. I've used about 6ml of it to clean more than 6,000 feet of 8mm film so a little goes a long way.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC