8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodak M100 on ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak M100 on ebay
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 02, 2017 11:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very rare Kodak M100 projector has popped up on ebay. This superb machine has 1200ft reel capacity and its outstanding feature is the razor sharp f1.0 20mm Ektar fixed focal length lens. Probably the best S8mm projector Kodak ever made.

http://www.ebay.co. uk/itm/Vintage-Kodak-8MM-Sound-Projector-Model-M100-Needs-Service-Partially-Working-/222384160655?hash=item33c720ff8f:g:vfcAAOSwjDZYgnXJ

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 03, 2017 04:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks just like my 16mm Kodak Pageant!
But, £150 (UKP) is a lot of money for a projector with problems.
The sliding record/playback switch will need some dismantling to get to it, and the sound issue could be a problem if any defective amplifier components are no longer available or do not have modern equivalents.

--------------------
Maurice

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2017 08:09 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually this has been on eBay for a while now. I have been watching it now for months. Here it is $195 with free shipping. That is a lot with it having sound problems. I have a couple Kodak sound 8's and have tinkered with them to get them running so I would like to buy this but no sign of the price dropping while I've been watching it.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 03, 2017 10:03 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to own a Kodak M100 and was very impressed with its very solid mechanical build quality, which is actually based on the 16mm Kodak Pageant projector, smooth quiet running, and rock steady picture. The picture quality was superb, with that Ektar f1.0 lens, and it may be worth buying this machine for the lens alone (if it in fact has that lens fitted). The problem with my M100 was the sound quality which was muffled and definitely inferior to my Eumig 802 which I had at that time. The M100 has a hybrid valve amplifier.
I dumped the projector (now regretted) but kept that superb lens and machined it down for use on my Eumig S938.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Gary Baker
Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2017 01:17 PM      Profile for Gary Baker   Email Gary Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between the f1.0 20mm Ektar and the 28mm version of the same lens?

Is this something to do with how wide angle it is?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 05, 2017 01:40 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Gary. When projected at the same distance from the screen the 20mm lens will project a larger picture than a 28mm lens.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Gary Baker
Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2017 01:41 PM      Profile for Gary Baker   Email Gary Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice. [Smile]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2017 08:20 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary...are you the one who bought this eBay listing? Right after we were discussing this I noticed it sold. I'm glad it is working for you if you did buy it. I'm guessing you did from the other posting about the sound issue. One of these days I'll get one. But truthfully I really don't need one, I have so many projectors now!

Bill [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 20, 2017 01:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul's past postings pertaining to projectors procurable through purchase (Sorry....totally got carried away), have been responsible for a number of the machines I've had. Paul would talk about a great projector and say "Hey! There's one on eBay right now!" Mr. Adsett knew I was a sucker for these things.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 20, 2017 01:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you!

-it's because of Paul I want one of these!

I wouldn't say I exactly need it, I just want it!

(-just like I want a '65 Mustang convertible!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Gary Baker
Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2017 12:25 PM      Profile for Gary Baker   Email Gary Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,

I must confess you guessed right. I sincerely hope you didn't have your heart set on this particular one. From your comments it sounds like you would only have pulled the trigger at the right price. I came close not to doing so myself as I recently picked up a German Elmo GS1200 and will have a hard enough time justifying that to my wife [Smile]

As you know the M100 was described as having sound problems to begin with and I was a little disingenuous when I said I had managed to get it up and running. It was actually my electronic engineer brother who sourced me a suitable transformer and looked it over initially. He tracked the sound issue to a loose capacitor which he fixed pretty quickly. He was only visiting for a Sunday afternoon and I didn't want him to give his whole day over to the thing hence him not being around to diagnose the frequency issue. His speciality is marine engineering for an oil company so the idiosyncrasies of a 1960s projector aren't really his field anyway.

Still, a nice machine, although it will have to be the last of my projector purchases. It undermines my argument when I'm scolding my daughter for getting her mother to pony up for yet another fashion accessory!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 21, 2017 12:29 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of these. I took the lens and had it worked on to fit the Eumig/Beaulieu projectors. Sharpest and best non zoom lens I own. But the projector itself was too clunky and the sound on mine wasn't quite right either. I ended up leaving it on the curb for the trashman. No one wanted to pay for the shipping for a parts machine as it is a heavy little beast.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 21, 2017 04:54 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no doubt in my mind that the M100 is worth purchasing for that Ektar lens alone. It really is a superb piece of glass, and totally transforms the image quality of my various Eumig's.
I did exactly that, and discarded the projector like Alan. A move I now regret as the projector would have made a great power re-winder.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2017 06:44 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience with the M100 is this: After reading Paul's glorious review, especially of the lens, I bought one off of eBay. The lens was fine but the projector had some problems. I sent it out to Richard Patchett who agreed to look at it because of the similarities between it and the Kodak 16mm Pageant.
Well, I got it back from Richard and there were still problems, so it went back to him from here in Pa. to Michigan again. When I got it back it worked, and Richard did what he could, but I still wasn't happy with the machine, which in my opinion is a dinosaur compared to the later super 8 projectors. When I first looked inside the back it reminded me of a medieval torture dungeon with the chain drive and all! Be aware that this is NOT a more modern super 8mm projector like the Elmos and the Eumigs, etc., etc.!!!!
The problem I had with that 1.0 lens was, although it's a nice lens, it is fixed, and unless you have a really significant throw distance (mine is 16 feet), the picture is way too small...
I put it back on eBay and another forum member won the auction. He also wanted it based on the glowing review of the lens. I think he later junked the projector anyway. I don't know if he kept the lens either. In the end it was a lot of wasted money for me [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2017 08:31 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching it as I have always been intrigued by it but I have 4 Kodak sound 8's which are very similar in design and standard 8. I have one working good and they all have bulbs that work which is good because replacements are sky high. I would like to do a bulb upgrade once I'm out of old style bulbs. I hate to think of old projectors sitting on the curb but it happens. I'm glad you got it and are trying to get it working. I was under the impression that this was a standard 8 projector and the idea of 1200' capacity was my main interest in it. Don't give up!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 22, 2017 11:50 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry that Joe had a bad experience with the M100, and I hope I did not mislead him. Whenever I have written about the M100 I have always pointed out that the sound quality was poor in comparison with even the entry level Eumig S802, and that it's outstanding virtue was the f1.0 Ektar lens and the 12OO FT reel capacity.
Yes, it is not a compact 'modern' design like the Eumig's and Elmo's, being built more like a 16mm machine, which to me is another virtue, certainly preferable to the S8mm plastic junk that Kodak later produced.
I first encountered the M100 back in 1973, when I rented one for a weekend to show some sound shorts for my 7 year old daughters birthday party. When I turned it on the picture quality just blew me away (this was my very first exposure to super 8mm), but the sound was low, even with the volume all the way up, and it was kind of muffled and bassey. A few weeks later I purchased a Eumig S802, and the sound quality was way superior to the M100.
So the M100 had the best picture and the Eumig had the best sound.
So, too bad about your M100 Joe, but at least you ended up with an incredible lens.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC