8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why still collect film if you own a digital projector? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why still collect film if you own a digital projector?
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 15, 2017 06:00 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still love film but to be honest I often now enjoy watching more on LCD projected, particularly because of the quality etc even compared to 16mm.

But quite a bit of that reason is film prices going very very silly.

The things you can enjoy on digital are amazing too.

If I had more money I would hoard more film probably, but I know plenty of people who have quite a few films they have never even watched, or only watched when bought possibly the once, so its not all about actually watching the real film much of the time in cine oddly anyway.

I personally find my digital projected watching looks very filmie, only much better to me.

But film, and oddly especially super 8, has such charm so what can you do !!! Love the daft stuff.

Best Mark.

[ July 15, 2017, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Mark Todd ]

|  IP: Logged

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2017 09:01 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

completely agree with you - I love watching the LCD stuff but the charm of threading up and viewing 8mm and 16mm is a joy that one can't escape from and as for hoarding or just not got around to viewing yet - i went in the den this morning and there's 13 16mm features i've yet to view - thank god i break up for the Summer next Thursday !!!

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2017 05:45 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is similar to folk like me who still like to play records, along with the joy of the physical act of a record in your hands, and the smell of a record on the warm turntable, rather than sterile mp3 files or digital downloads.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 22, 2017 06:15 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`d guess quite a few filmies do vinyl as well.

I do. Right now.

Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 22, 2017 10:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a large part of it, the "physical act". [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2017 11:01 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I also collect vinyl. Classical is always best on vinyl.,

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 24, 2017 12:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I dump on digital projection, but for me, there really is a thrill with the whole film experience. It's been discussed so often on here, but until a person really experiences it for themselves, it IS hard to describe for those "nickel and dime" folks, (myself included in that remark [Smile] ) as ... this is a hobby that you really have to blow some cash to get what you want, (even more so these days in most cases, ooof!).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 26, 2017 09:32 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this inquiry before, so often that I'm always inclined towards the middle-road - Why buy comic books if they are available via kindle? - Forget vinyl, music can be gotten most anywhere in any form - Museums, gum cards, postage stamps, and any collectible, why just snippy-snap the computer to see it all, right? - Wrong - Without the true and dedicated film collector, all we would be left with are third-hand copies off a second-hand dupe - The pleasure of discovery alone is worth the while in film collecting - Without celluloid, there would be no discs, dvds, blu-rays or anything to come, remember that - Point being, if you can buy SHANE for $10 on DVD, just think where that print came from and what that person had to go through to get it - I'll go with the suffering tribulations of the collector anytime - I'm one of them - Shorty

Pete Middleton
Junior

- posted October 09, 2018 03:47 PM      Profile for Pete Middleton   Email Pete Middleton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In January we installed a 4K projector equipped with 3D (if we ever needed it) along with Dolby Atmos sound. It was used until March when I noticed 35mm appearing on Ebay. Since this date - the digital is collecting dust. I'm loving the openness that digital has brought us since they installed it into cinema's. Film has been finally passed down to us collectors, and there's so much of it!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2018 04:27 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to cartoons or other shorts it can be quicker to lace up the projector with the film you want than to load a digital disc and go through the menus to find what you want. This is especially bad if you wish to view a random selection.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2018 02:07 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some films I especially like/love,I do buy the film despite having it on dvd.Like GONE WITH THE WIND,SOUND OF MUSIC,several Gordon Scott Tarzans (in spanish and reddish!) and Buster Keaton's EL MODERNO BARBA AZUL.For the last one,I searched all over the world (!) and found the DVD in Mexico! A few years later,I found a complete super 8 copy in Spain and I couldn t resist not acquiring it,And I did!So,it is a purely personal matter!

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2018 03:52 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite my 8/16mm film collection, I bought a combined DVD/video projector a couple of years ago and think the results are great.
My kids, however, now in their thirties to fifties, aren't impressed..They've been brought up on what they consider the proper thing, reels of film, the purring (or clattering) of the projector etc., so I guess I bought them up right, filmwise.
I can afford to get actual films when available, but while I've got the DVD projector set up permanently in a spare room, that's not likely to happen, though there's always the option that I can still run the odd film when urge arises, or the kids ask for it.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2018 05:26 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy collecting because There are content on film that are not on disc format. Maybe never see disc format or streaming. Plus they edit parts out due to offensiveness.

I like the whole atmosphere,There something about taking the time load the film and hearing the projector run while watching a movie.

I like how exclusive Film is compared to discs

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 10, 2018 05:34 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just make the distinction between:
A/ Watching a film, which I like to do, whatever the format/support.
B/ Playing cinema at home, which I love to do.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2018 08:17 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
For work this will be a great year.
The native 4K LCoS projectors that I will receive in the next couple of weeks are incredible, with a very filmlike transparant look, DCI P3 colors, HDR for a smashing dynamic picture. They all show an outstanding black level, which most cinema theaters cannot give due to the DLP based projectors. They even have a terrific 3D as well.

I give demonstrations with all these models.
Moviewatching is absolutely stunning.
But non of this gives me the projectionistic feeling, that I have when I setup my Elmo GS1200.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2018 08:37 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think for most of us it's pure nostalgia, but having said that there are more and more youngsters taking an interest in film. There is a certain magic about watching a projector in action. On another tack there is more and more interest in anything involving old technology and it is seen as investment potential.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC