8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Am I washing off the colors by using isopropyl alcohol? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Am I washing off the colors by using isopropyl alcohol?
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 04, 2017 09:39 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
222 was great when it was a legal substance to manufacture many years ago, however I still think that it would have been way too strong to have been completely harmless to pasted striped film.

Once a cleaner contains any kind of solvent solution, there is always a risk that some damage could occur to a magnetic striped film that is not laminated.

Nowadays FilmGuard provides us all with a safe and effective cleaner and lubricant to safely clean any film with, no matter what the track consists of.

It is by far the best all round cleaner and lubricant for film that I have ever used and I have prints in my collection first cleaned using FilmGuard by their previous owner that date back to over 20 years since first treatment that still look and sound as good as the day they were made.

There is absolutely no comparison between the way a film runs and sounds while transporting through a projector, between a dry film and a well lubricated one using FilmGuard.

I concur with Bill, that all film should be lubricated prior to projection.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2017 05:10 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew wrote "I have prints in my collection first cleaned using FilmGuard by their previous owner that date back to over 20 years since first treatment that still look and sound as good as the day they were made". Does this mean that one application of FilmGuard should last for many years on films which are rarely projected? I assume that films which are projected regularly might need treating at intervals. How often do you advise, please?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 04, 2017 05:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Will I'm an obsessive perfectionist, meaning if I see even a speck of foreign material on any of my prints while projecting, I clean it in run there and then.
Just that section by reverse projecting and treating with FG & a micro fibre cloth in forwards projection again.

I get it that this behaviour to most, isn't the normal carry on, so based on that I'd say cleaning every 4th to 5th run should be more than sufficient Will. [Wink]

The ones that came to me pre treated with FG were already immaculate but over time and viewings, I have treated them again, as and when necessary.

The beauty with FilmGuard is it simply doesn't seem to matter how often as long as you don't mind paying for another bottle and you dry your prints immediately afterwards.

Never use your PJ in rewind mode for either applying or removing film cleaner/ lubricant.

--------------------

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2017 07:20 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Andrew. As you say, never use a projector to apply any film cleaner. I mount a film to be cleaned between the arms of a film editor. I then brush the cleaner on both sides of the film between the spools using an artist's number 2 paint brush. I sandwich the film with a clean piece of cotton material held lightly between my thumb and finger as I hand wind 50' or more through. You can detect any problems with the film as you do so. I sandwich the film again with a clean piece of cloth when I rewind to remove any surplus. One company in the UK offers FilmGuard in 10ml bottles and it goes a long way.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 05, 2017 01:41 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, i thought i was the only loony around, i tend to be the same with our films for cleaning, looking at my film log i keep the viewing dates as well as viewed dates, if a film hasn't been viewed for over three years i will give it a very light clean even its only been put through a couple of times in years.
using this regularity it is of course vital to keep the film paths and gate clean, (which is a must anyway) as one thing anf cleaner does to is help build dirt up in the gate and rollers. [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 05, 2017 04:02 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, branded as FilmShield instead of FilmGuard, it is one and the same substance in case some may not have realized.

I think you meant to say 100ml bottles btw Will.
I cannot see 10ml going TOO far. [Big Grin] [Wink]

[ August 05, 2017, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 07, 2017 06:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From page 1 of this thread...
Robert Lee - that website you linked to was created by a guy who was trolling on the main Film-Tech Forums and got booted. He immediately retaliated by making that site in an attempt to "get back" at me. It is total bs, just like most of what you see on facebook these days. (Just because it is written doesn't in any way make it true.)

From above...
Andrew Woodcock (and everyone else) - see this post...

CLICK HERE

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 07, 2017 06:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair points Brad, and I know nothing of Eddie's selling techniques here in the UK except to say he has always treated me personally, very well indeed.

I have to say, being a heavy user of this original product, i always buy in the original quart quantity from official Uk Suppliers,and I am more than happy to do so for a very very long time to come...Officially, in the very same manner as I always have.

--------------------

Robert Lee
Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 06:50 PM      Profile for Robert Lee   Email Robert Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Brad Miller. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 07, 2017 07:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind the 16oz bottle Brad, I just hope you release a 48oz one!

You pays your money, you take your choice! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2017 03:09 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Maurice, with that waxing and vaseline, the print would pretty much be lubricated permanently.

Robert, not only is alcohol extremely risky, but will remove pretty much any sort of lubricant on the film surface (oily, waxy, or - ugg- silicone). So what are you doing to replace it?

FilmGuard gets my vote.

Robert Lee
Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2017 03:13 PM      Profile for Robert Lee   Email Robert Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably replace it with filmguard as long as I don't have to wear gloves.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2017 05:32 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to confuse matters, I've found that Kodak listed isopropyl alcohol as being a good film cleaner. The problem is that, as said, it will remove any lubricant from the film. I've a film which juddered when first projected due to shrinkage, I believe. After treatment with FilmGuard, it ran through the projector without any problem.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 15, 2017 06:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And you're surprised Will, given what has been said over and again here? [Wink]

Whatever peoples sceptical opinions are or are not regarding this substance, as Ronseal once said in their TV ads over here in the UK,..

It does what it says on the tin, time after time. that'll do for me! [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2017 06:56 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not surprised at all, Andrew. It's good stuff and a little goes a long way. I'm unsure how often it should be applied though. Does it evaporate on treated films eventually and need a re-application? If so, how often? I've thinking about our precious treated family films.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 15, 2017 07:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
From my own experiences Will, if your films are scratch free (base scratches), it needn't be applied often at all as one thorough clean suffices, but for someone like me with an extremely critical eye so far as commercial prints are concerned, up until now I have it at the ready for any given moment to ensure the prints can be projected in their most pristine condition.

It works for me anyhow, otherwise I may have totally gone digital by now sadly.

Glad I haven't and glad therefore I discovered the benefits of FG and other things exactly when I did. [Smile]

When I came back to the hobby initially, I was only dipping my toe in the water by re living prints such as Marathon Man, Grease, Carrie & Dressed To Kill, now i am sat on a fairly large collection of LPP or Agfa low fade prints!

If it wasn't for the two variables I speak of, none of this would ever have materialized. Therefore I am eternally grateful to all of the factors that brought this sheer huge amount of pleasure and lifelong ambition to fruition without all of those nasty unpleasantries I associated this hobby with in the past.

Super 8mm Film Collecting,really can be relatively, hassle free I have learned! [Wink]

--------------------

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2017 07:36 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, Andrew. No scratches and no colour fade after 50 years and more storage in various cupboards. I've digitised the films now but the original films are as fresh as when they were first shown. Kodak 8mm stock.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 15, 2017 07:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Job Will! [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC