8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector came back to life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector came back to life
Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 08:20 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the way my Elmo ST-1200HD has been acting: I was watching a feature when the female voices became big, scary monsters; The projection came to a gradual halt, but the fan and lamp still worked, so I assume it's the motor. A few days later, the motor was still dead. A few weeks later, it ran, but very slowly. I put it away for months.

Then one day, hoping for the unlikely, I tested it and it ran at normal speed. Why would the machine die and then come back to life? Do you think it might happen again? I've put about 150 hours on it. I don't know how much use it had from the previous owner.

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 09:02 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Daniel,
My guess is slipping clutch. The few months off allowed the cork some time to dry off perhaps, but it may start slipping again with use.
Maybe check the corks to see if it is slipping there when it happens again. Until it happens again, we can only guess [Smile]
I hope it continues to work for you instead!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2017 03:08 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, Thank you. I don't know the machine that well, mechanically; Not sure where the corks are.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 08, 2017 03:19 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need to check the condition of all the drive belts, the two large rubber wheels, (the 18 and 24FPS rubber drives) and also if your shutter has a rubber edge to it, check that, you are looking to see if any of the rubber feels sticky.
Start there first, [Wink]

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2017 10:24 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked as many things as I could on this machine and it looked ok. I haven't learned much about parts because I haven't needed to before; I'm not sure what the corks are. so I ran a feature to test it, two 1200' reels. It ran fine. Don't know what the problem was, but I can't help but anticipate it happening again. I don't feel confident enough to use it for a screening with guests, because I don't want the chance of a movie getting shut down abruptly.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC