8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How I became super 8 fan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How I became super 8 fan
Jorma Julku
Junior

- posted August 10, 2017 04:30 PM      Profile for Jorma Julku   Email Jorma Julku   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone!
I didn't find a topic for first remories of film collectors. so maybe I should try. My first kind memory of super 8 is from early 70's, maybe 1974 when I got christmas present fisher viewer with disney lonesome ghost. It was great!
Then I remember that my mother took me to place(kind of nursery) where cartoons were showed. I believe they were super 8 or 16mm. Then In nursery there was sometimes special day(with ice cream etc,) and a darkened room for super 8 films. It was so amazing to see 20.000 leagues under the sea. I don't remember others.
Through the years till I was old enough to go with my frieds to movies my kind mother took me to see Disney to cinema.
My father's workmate's son showed 50ft disney films to me and my brother. I was thrilled. To have own films! At the time I began understand how they were made(tv Disney documentary).
Before my dad bought me super 8mm projector I had plutos pledgling 50ft reel. That's how it started to me. Thanks!

--------------------
Jorma Julku

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 10, 2017 05:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The 50ft colour silent Standard 8mm version of Pluto's Fledgling was also one of my earliest memories of my own "home movie" collection. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 11, 2017 10:18 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those Fisher Price viewers were a lot of fun.

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2017 11:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at those things and I was amazed as to how many different titles were released, even a bunch of Sesame Street ones.

I came along a little later, and I REALLY got off on the "Pocketflix' releases, (they had a round cartridge), and though not sound, they were full 24 fps two minute or so reels of fun!

Does anyone remember that Disney actually released a cartridge type thing like this for thier film "The Black Hole"? [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 11, 2017 12:56 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug has it all

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 11, 2017 05:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The location is familiar somehow....

(-It's déjà vu all over again!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2017 08:50 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jorma,
My Dad's parents both came to Canada from Kokkola, Finland in the early 1900's, so I am Half Finnish. My Brother married a lady from Mantyharju, and they had the wedding there, and I was the Best Man. I also spent a few days in Helsinki. It was July so the weather was perfect. Beautiful country!
I was a teenager when I started wanting my own film collection. The days before VHS and Beta. I used to Audio record my favorite movies on T.V. using a cassette recorder with the mike taped to the T.V. speaker. I saved up and bought my first Projector, a Eumig Mark-502D. It played super 8 but only silent.
The first movie I got to screen on it was "Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed", 200' B&W Silent with titles. I ran that film so many times that is pretty scratched-up and has some melted frames from my overusing the "Slow motion" feature. Still have that projector somewhere in storage. One day I'll go on a treasure hunt...

[ August 11, 2017, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC