8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CRI/FUJICA or Quick Splice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CRI/FUJICA or Quick Splice
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 19, 2017 07:57 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Friend Janice recently said that she has acquired a 16mm CRI splicer, and that she already has a super 8 one.
The point of my thread is this, (& i know it is only personal opinions on this), i have used the quick splice tapes for over 30 years, we cut them into two so apart from lasting twice as long they only cover two frames. Better for the projectors gate as well.
I bought the fujica a few years ago now but i have to say i just simply dont get on with it that well. At present i only use it for the actual cutting as it does give a perfect cut,(being brand new when i purchased it).

So, can someone tell me the main difference between the CIR and Fujica please? Although happy with the old quick splice we cant get blades anymore for the old splicers we have, hence why we use the fujica for cutting only, What i dont want to do is buy a CIR later, (if i can find a good price one) only to find out its the same as my Fujica. The problem i seem to have is the weird way you pull the tape, line up the sprocket holes then have to lift the film to fold the tape around, most of the times the holes arnt aligned. It should be a simple task but it isn't.

An interesting point here, i recently bought a film which was joined up onto one reel. The tape joines were the best i have ever seen, 4 frames cover perfectly but the tape did not go over or around the sprocket holes. [Wink]
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 19, 2017 09:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom
The Fuji tape rolls are pre-perforated for each join. This is what makes them expensive.
The C.I.R. uses "solid" tape which the splicer perforates as it cuts. The tapes are therefore much cheaper.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 19, 2017 09:45 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And i imagine perfect every time.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2017 01:06 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello Tom,
ive used the Fuji for years and love it. never any problems like you mention. when you pull the tape forward and place it over the pins on the splicer,just make sure the tape is as far forward as it can be,so that the back of the slots in the tape are just touching the pins. you then have enough tape to fold over the back of film,and the perforations are clear of any tape.
I did once have a CIR,that had become blunt,so that the perforations weren't stamped through properly.I would think this was after heavy use.
Fuji tapes are expensive,but I got mine on e bay, with a splicer for very little money.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 19, 2017 01:15 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a few practice runs tonight.gettin a lot of light on it cetainly has improved things.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2017 01:21 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, should have added that. you need a good light with the Fuji.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 19, 2017 01:48 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fujica is my favorite splicer as well.
You can find the tapes here:

http://www.retro8.com/english/englishsplicing.htm

I've had mine for many years and the tapes don't dry out.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 19, 2017 03:23 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for the good replies, have to say the tape certainly is extremely strong. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC