8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best lamp for Elmo GS1200 anno 2017. Also for my Elmo ST1200 and Bauer T610. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Best lamp for Elmo GS1200 anno 2017. Also for my Elmo ST1200 and Bauer T610.
Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2017 12:32 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ellpisoidal reflector, is what the xenon reflector is on the GS, and these the same design, its the most efficient, you get double reflection outward, is that a bull's eye type lens you are referring too Graham ?.

|  IP: Logged

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2017 02:30 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the reflector of a Donar ESC is the same (not confirmed yeet) than you can buy those to drill out.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 25, 2017 02:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Paul that would just the thing...just need to find one.

What I find with lamps and mirrors with the 35mm stuff is that you can have all the light in world, but unless you get it concentrated in the right spot it just does not work, small adjustments in alignment can make a huge difference...its tricky stuff [Smile]

Matthieu..just read your post where do you get them?

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2017 03:04 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, these reflectors are used in martin lighting fixtures, and the lamps too, this what inspired my idea behind the discharge lamp. They use bright nickel plated alloy reflectors, that can withstand a 250watt discharge lamp in an enclosed space for a long period of time, but for a bull's eye reflector setup, try the optikinetic solar 250 projector, this has a bulls eye lens and reflector bowl behind to focus the light on an aperture. Matthieu, you can use copper to cut glass with paraffin as a lubricant, but a diamond cutting wheel is just good, with a hobbyist hand grinder, but be careful this is silicate and will shatter without warning, slowly does it....

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2017 08:13 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something I find out is very interesting.
It is the Difference between 250W Lamps of the same Brand.
In one Elmo the Lamp needs only 24,6 Volt to come up to 10,4Ampere.
Another one in another Elmo needs 25,5 Volt to come up to 10,4Ampere. The internal Transformer of the Elmo GS is not able to handle this correct. I have made the best Results with an external dimig Transformer and the Philips 250W ELC 50h Lamp.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2017 04:10 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The handling is not differend/better on a GS1200 MKIII, compared to a MKII, or MKI?
The MKIII seems to be more refind.

@ Graham. I bought the Donar ESC lamps here:
https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampesc.html
I've never seen a Fuji ESC in my GS1200 projectors, so I don't know, if they're the same in brightness and whiteness and if it is interessting to use this reflectors for a lamp refirbishing, when you cannot get a Fuji ESC.

Are this the kind of HID lamps which must be put in the GS1200 projector?
Than I must dril a lot more from the ESC reflector, or we need an better reflector.
 -

[ November 27, 2017, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 07:58 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I added a few things in my last reply.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 27, 2017 12:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul

I will look into it [Smile]

Mattieu

I bought this conversion kit locally last year with the idea of using it on a GS1200. Up to now its finding the right quality mirror that wont discolour after a while has been the hold up.

I was not convinced to use a ESC for that purpose, as the reflective coating on all those lamps were not made to last in the long run. However what Paul has suggested regarding the Optikinetic Solar projector has me once thinking again. [Smile]
 -
 -

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 12:41 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35Watt, is this really enough?
If so it can be put in every projector.

I think it is not so expensive to let things chromed.
Not sure if that's last a long time?

Opticinetic projectors like this?
http://www.optifanatics.com/product.aspx?id=6

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 02:45 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that will give you nearly as much light as the beaulieu, with a three blade shutter, not sure if you can connect this directly to the output supply on the transformer of the GS, as this is designed for a 12v car supply. There is a 55w version too, and the light output of this xenon lamp is like the GS XENON. The key to this working correctly is the lamp position in the reflector, and fixing it correctly. Now the reason why I chose this is simply because you can obtain the fixture for the lamp from most scrap cars headlamp for pennies, and quickly replace it as these are spring loaded. You will need a ceramic sleeve to get the spacing just right. If the transformer output is dc, all would be good if the it can give enough amps, but for the brightness its incredible for 35watt lamp, that costs less than a tenner sterling to replace. The opti uses a m33 lamp with a reflector and bull eye lens ,you can get these on ebay or you can still get the bits from opti still, but check first might be expensive. I use a cctv power supply which is fine, it has multiple outputs, pwm power supply, didn't get too warm when I tested it, and again I say any projector with this setup could be converted. If you want a reflector modifying just send it to me, I can cut the reflector accurately......

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 04:09 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a complete differend road and I have to rethink my goal.

The 24V 250W conversion was only replacing the lamp 10mm and add a new powersuply.
I rather have a projector service doing this for me already.

This HID road is less intens for the powersuply of the GS1200, and probaly easy to add without killing it.
Only the lamp and reflector needs a complete new configuration.
You cannot just use the origenal lampholder to fix the lamp position and go..
The HID 55W gives a more brighter and whiter picture with better colors, and probably less hot. Not sure on that?
But I'm afraid I have to be even more skilled for this conversion.

Is there a projectorservice that does this kind of conversions near the Netherlands?
Maybe I take my wife on a (bring my projector and pick it up afterward) vacation.

Are you doing convertion services like this Paul?

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 04:49 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theres still a bit to do Matthieu, I would like to use the GS power supply, but this needs to be dc, and think the output is ac on the tranny, but I have not checked this, I don't think it is rectified. The lamp holder in the gs will be fine because it fits and hold the reflector, its just setting up the lamp position, but I was going to make a little holder for this, just so the glue sets. To get more light you could convert the gs to a two blade shutter, this would increase the light output a fair bit. When I did this test some time back the beaulieu was brighter measured at the screen but not whiter, I think this is 6400 kelvin or 6700 kelvin, can't just remember now, but the overall effect was impressive. This would be plenty bright enough for home cinema use, and you could retro fit this yourself. Graham I have some replica reflectors, GS 1200 XENON, which are the same as the 16mm Elmo XENON. These will be polished to mirror finish and will with me shortly, after sorting some thicker gauge material, but they can also be nickel plated or chrome plated.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 27, 2017 09:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick mention regarding AC to DC a while ago I bought a 12 volt relay. I put power to it from a transformer, it just would not work. I took the relay back to the shop where I bought it and said its faulty. The salesmen behind the counter quickly tested it and it worked. Then the penny dropped [Roll Eyes] the relay was 12VDC The transformer out was 12VAC. mmmmm what do I do now, he said this is what you want, a $5 dollar Bridge Rectifier, he drew a discription for me, as to how to connect the 4 terminals up, got home.. BINGO... the relay now works. The one he gave me was a BR106 600V 10A, simply adding that small bridge retifier in the wiring from the transformer, changed the AC to DC.. for only a 5 dollar component...There is the MB354 400V 35A rectifier thats the next one up.

I was so impressed when I bought mine I bought a couple more just as spare. [Smile]

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 10:18 PM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This HID Lamps are used in Car Headlamps too. The Lightoutput is not much higher than a 55/60W Halogen Car lamp. It will be working, but with less Light than the 200W ESC Lamp has.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 01:09 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that this was a knock up, " a see if it might work" theory you could be right Thomas. No film has been put through the project to see just how much light gets to the screen after it has gone past the film plain and through the lens. What I do know is the light measured at the screen was more than the esc 200w lamp at the same distance and frame size, what this equates to when film is used I do not have that answer yet, but I will set this up once more to check.....

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 01:10 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 28, 2017 02:22 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I will say for certainty, is that I wont be changing my present Halogen lamp in the GS1200 to HID after moving the lamp back the 10mm lately as Thomas suggested. It made a huge difference and thats something in all these years of owning it I never had.

However I do have another GS1200 [Roll Eyes] and it might be worth trying out a HID conversion on that projector, just to see what happens. If it does not work then that machine will get the halogen lamp refitted but 10mm back.

Here are some specs that came with the HID conversion kit you might find of interest..

Wattage............Halogen... HID
Lumens........... 1,330....3,200
Life Expectancy....350hrs..3,000hrs
Efficiency Lm/W....15......100
Colour.............White...Pure White
Colour Temperature..2,400...6,000

Food for thought [Smile]

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 03:54 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a guy on you tube who had done this conversion Graham, someone uploaded it to here a while back, so that would be interesting to find again, but your post confirms my thought on this conversion, thanks for the post detail Graham.

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 08:05 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham 3200 Lumen is not enough.
The ELC 250W gives 10000 Lumen.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 28, 2017 08:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are thinking of installing an HID lamp go for the Xenpow HID 150. No need to worry about a separate reflector.
It will need a ballast, an independent fan, and very importantly, some form of dowser as the lamp once switched on must stay that way whilst running films.
https://www.djkit.com/replacement-lamps/xenpow-hid-150-lamp.html

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 04:48 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The xenpower lamp still uses a ESC type lamp reflector, but as graham has pointed out this fails with the standard lamp of 200 watts fitted to it, how long would it be before this reflector coating was peeling off of going brown. This is not for an amateur at home to fit, its needs a douser, an extra fan to cool it, it has to left on and not switched off, you need to get a ballast or it won't work, given that its much brighter than the 35 watt or 55watt car HID, this can all be done for less than the price of the one lamp, and is bright enough for home use, and cheap enough to replace. If your doing large halls or shows for more than a few people, the xenpower is the way to go, this idea is to allow it to fitted to the less high end projectors and allow others to share almost xenon brightness for a lot less money....

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2017 01:06 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The brightness, or lumen levels, of the lights in your home may vary widely, so here's a rule of thumb: To replace a 100 watt (W) incandescent bulb, look for a bulb that gives you about 1600 lumens. If you want something dimmer, go for less lumens; if you prefer brighter light, look for more lumens.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 29, 2017 01:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul

I do remember that video but cant find it...its interesting to see on you-tube what people get up to with there film projectors [Cool]

Maurice

I had a look at that lamp, but not convinced that reflector will last. The conversion kit I bought a while ago was only around the $20-30 dollar mark imported from China. With a colour temperature of 6000K and "pure white" plus given a life of 3000hrs its a cheap Xenon light source alternative.

When I look at some Std8 projectors that are now at least 50 years old, and how the mirrors have lasted, like wise with all slide projectors, those mirrors were made to last even with the heat from eg 500watt lamps.

What I have found in the past with the GS1200, is that even with 200/250watt lamps, two bladed shutter, 1.1 lens, it was still not good enough, and to prove that point I sat my little ST180 with its 3 bladed shutter and cheap 1.3 lens next to the GS, and that little 100watt lamp was still giving me a brighter picture than the GS....so the conclusion I came to is, that more watts are not everything. Its how the light is concentrated on that small gate... thats the key [Cool]

My aim is to provide a cheap but effective light source that is concentrated only on the gate by a quality reflective mirror.

Well that's the idea [Smile]

PS Its great to hear Thomas and Paul comments and bouncing ideas around makes life interesting.. [Smile]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2017 01:49 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the comments here make sense in as much as we all have different financial and performance reasons to mod our projectors and any way to improve the light output is appreciated.

My GS1200 HID is up to about 80 hours now with no reflector deterioration at all - ie: it has exceeded the expected life of a standard halogen ESC - are those concerned about the longevity of the reflector sure it is exactly the same as an ESC lamp though? It is the same size but is it the same coating? Also the heat output of the Xenpow HID150 is not a problem with the mod Bill fits as he changes the standard GS1200 fan speed supply to run faster and of course on permanently - when I've visited him and discussed such matters he has always been perplexed why anyone is interested in fitting car headlight HIDs into old ESC reflectors when the Xenpow HID150 is already perfect for the job out of the box - there is still some distance adjustment between the new lamp and gate to be made but it has been used for a long time now by many on GS1200 projectors with not one bad report I have heard of hence I took the plunge too.

Kevin

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2017 01:50 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For only the reflector that needs to be drilled,... can we just use a 15V150W Xenophot for that? The reflector is for 8mm film right?
You take the lamp out for replacement, so the rest V/W has no meaning, so isn't the reflector just the same as that of the Fuji ESC.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC