8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best lamp for Elmo GS1200 anno 2017. Also for my Elmo ST1200 and Bauer T610. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Best lamp for Elmo GS1200 anno 2017. Also for my Elmo ST1200 and Bauer T610.
Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 09:35 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a lamp comparison.
I can tell that the 24V200W ESC lamps from this site here (brand is Donar, but it does'n say so on the site) are very dim.
https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampesc.html
I bought 4 of those and threw away my money on that.

I compared it to another 24V200W HXL EJL lamp from Osram, and that lamp was clearly brighter and whiter, only because it is an EJL mirrored lamp, the light has no conformity to the corners of the screen.

If a replacemet of 10mm backwards is also enough to use an EJL HLX, we could use this lamp for a brighter and whiter picture, without a complete transformator conversion.
- Has anyone done a lampholder backwards replacing with this 200W EJL and how much was needed?

Than I tried the just arrived Osram 24V250W HLX ELC lamp, and MAN what a bright and white light is that, and light conformity also not all the way to the corners, but better than the EJL, and this with the lampholder still in it's original space.
So I think that if a ELC need to be replaced 10mm backwards, the EJL probably need 15mm, or even 20mm backwards.

The 200W EJL HLX will than probably be comparable with the origenal Fuji ESC (I assume, cause I never had one), but a bit whiter and cheaper.
This can be achieved without going trough the hustle of an extra transformer conversion.

If you go for the complete transformer adding conversion, I know you'll end up with an even much brighter picture.
And compared to my Donar ESC lamp it's even twice as bright to the eye.

I also bought 2 of the Philips Focusline version of this 24V250W 31363 ELC which seems to be even brighter than the Osram, but I did not yet received those.
Can hardly wait to see that.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 11:20 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the best Lightoutput you need a two Blade Shutter in your GS 1200 and the Elmo Zoom 1,0.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 11:46 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I know, but than I need to send my projector away for conversion, cause I cannot do that myself.

If I know someone who can do this and the 24V/250W Transformator conversion, I would bring my projector right away.
I found a company who wanted to do the lampholder conversion, but without the Transformation adding.

A Xenpow 150HID conversion along with the 2 Blade would be even more exciting.
Bill Parson did this conversion before, but that was before I found this 8mm forum.
The best man is retired, so I heared, so now I'm still waiting for a new uprising technician.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 02:23 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Osborne of the reel image has the correct Fuji lamps, and are correct without any movement of lamp to gate distance. The Fuji has one coil more than other lamps of the same voltage and wattage, plus the multi faceted reflector which help focus the lamp. This is plenty bright enough for the three blade gs 1200. Bill's upgrade has certainly caused some ripples amongst the gs owner wanting more light, but unless you are able to undertake the conversion successfully and safely, the Fuji lamp is still very good, even if it has a short life span. The two blade shutter is a good upgrade and will add more light output again, so will the f1.0 lens. You just seem to be going round in circles, four pages later you are no closer to a conclusion, cut your losses and buy the Fuji lamp, its the safest option short term.......

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 05:02 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're absolutely right.
I've sorted every possibility out, and still hasetate to drill and cut into my GS1200 MKIII.
I'm going to order an original Fuji ESC, so that I can compare the original lamp myself and at least see the difference myself.
The 1 extra coil can be a quarter of extra bright ess too.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2018 07:39 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just placed an order for the Fuji ESC 24V200W at the Real Magic Store.
Also a 2 Blade Shutter and all sorts of stuff like; Filmguard Film Renew and a lot of film leader.
I hope that the FilmGuard and Renew can be shipped to the Netherlands as well.

In the mean time,...
Looking at the Fuji ESC bulb there, you can see it has facets all over, which helps with focusing the brightness, apart from the extra coil of course.
 -

I also just ordered this lamp as well for comparison.
Philips 13631 24v 250w
It has facets, just like the origenal Fuji ESC has.
See photo.
 -
Anyone already tried this one out?

Because it's not an ESC the lamp should probably be moved backwards, but we shall see.
Before doing that, I really like to see how this compares to the Philips Focusline and Osram, and of course to the origenal Fuji ESC.
A lot of testing.

Cannot wait to see the Fuji myself compared to the Donar ESC.
After that, I'm really curious how much it adds to use a HLX 250W lamps in comparison.
I think the whiter light will be the most offious.

This is actually a lot of fun, only it is a pricey test.
The lamps come from all over.
I have a Spectoradiometer and a colorimeter, so I shall do some testing with those as well.

[ May 17, 2018, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 11:57 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matthieu!
I have two Sylvania ELC 24V 250W here. They have multfacette Reflector and the 5 Coils in their Bulbs. But The Lightoutput with 10mm back position is lesser than every other Lamp I have ever testet. Only 60 Lux on my Screen. The Philips 13163 with blank Reflektor gives 130 - 140 Lux on the same Screen Size with two Blade shutter and 1,0 Zoom.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 03:44 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont have the Fuji ESC yet, and my lampholder is not yet removed 10mm back.
On its origenal place this 250W Facet reflector lamp gives a very even bright light on the screen which is brighter and whiter than the Donar ESC lamp.
Can hardly wait how the Fuji lamp will compare.

The Osram is brighter in the middle but has darker corners, but as we know, this lamp needs the 10mm back.
Not sure if the whole picture than will be as bright as the hotspot it shows now?
Than I know what the end result will be.

For now I'm very interessted to see if this facet Philips lamp would be better than the Fuji ESC, still on the origenal place.
Interesting for people who don't like to move the lampholder.

I also received my order for the Philips Focusline that I ordered from Germany, because we don't have those here.
What I received was a totally differend Blue Phoilips package instead of the Focusline.
 -
I could have bought that here as well and would have saved me the shipment.
I did put those into my GS1200 to compare it with the Osram, but the Osram is a whole lot brighter.

As soon as I receive the Fuji ESC lamps I will setup a whole measuring shootout for all the lamps and post it here.

[ May 18, 2018, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2018 10:16 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthieu, this is brilliant, very helpful, and much appreciated! Looking forward to your findings.

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2018 10:26 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all who re interested two Pictures of my Conector Box on top of the Elmo with wiring to the internal Transformer and his Wires. This make it possible to use the 24V/250W ELC Lamp with an external Transformer in an Elmo GS 1200. It is absolute save for the internal Transformer.

I have Kevinīs Words in my Brain, dont use a ELC Lamp in an original GS 1200. So here is the Modification. The external Transformer you can by in a Factory who made this or you get one of n old slide Projektor which has two light steps for low and high.

-

-

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2018 10:39 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for the additional pictures

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2018 01:17 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still looking forward to Matthieu's definitive comparison review!

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2018 02:44 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I'm sorry.
I did meassure all sorts of lamps and lost the whole thing, because my laptop was not wired to the adapter which I noticed when the battery was empty and I was to late.
I did put a lot of time into this.
I still want to do this all over again, but need to find some time.
What I can tell is that I was really impressed by the Fuji ESC.
One of the two meassured higher than all the others, with a 3400 Kelvin and very even brightness to all the corners, although the second Fuji ESC was less bright.

I'll come back after doing the whole measuring thing again.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2018 01:36 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a pinch, knowing that the new Fuji lamps work well is REALLY helpful! And when you have time to redo this sadly lost work, I'm sure many will be grateful.

The ultimate would be a projector modification so the lamp housing could scoot back from its usual position as well as being returned. Of course that would be useful for comparing ELC and EJLs when the light focus is correct.

Thanks for the reply, Matthieu!

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2018 03:14 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the Osram Xenophot 250W was also the most impressive after the Fuji ESC and probably even better with an extern adapter. In my non converted GS1200 it had a hotspot in the middle with darker corners.
I'm sure replacing the lamp backwards will solve that, like some said before and maybe even best the lesser bright Fuji ESC. This is the best and cheap solution, but need some work, like others have shown as well. The Philips Focusline lamps I receėved where not nearly as bright. The philips Facet lamp was also beautifull even lighted, but it was a 250W and I liked the Fuji ESC better which doesn't need an adapter conversion.
Doing nothing with the projector, will leave you to the Fuji ESC, which is really impressive, although some are better than others. One of the two had 12% less brightness.
A conversion gives you more hours on the lamp for less money.

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 09:22 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have tested what Matthieu has said above.
I have cut of a Philips ELC Reflektor and give him a Construction to take a normal two Pin Halogen Lamp 24V 250W. Now I could adjust this Lamp forward and back in the Reflektor for better focusing on this little Super 8 Frame. It works well but sorry not as bright as the original Philips ELC Type 13163. This is the best Lamp for the GS 1200 used by an external Transformer. Setting this Lamp back in the Lamphouse for 10mm and you have a very white bright Light. Here are some Picīs of my Experiance.

-

-

-

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 10:22 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of lamp connector is that Thomas? And what is that little black box thing on the back of it?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 10:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Lamp Holder is from Wittner here in Germany it is an universal Lamp Holder or GZ 6,35 two pin Lamps.

There is no black box. It is the back Wall of the Elmo Lamphouse chassis.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 01:31 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a m33 lamp, in the Philips reflector, cheaper than the elc 24v 250w standard lamp. Looking at the Fuji lamp some are not lined up correctly and square to the outside reflector, this maybe the cause of the 12% loss of light, but if your prepared to cut the reflector and replace it with m33 lamp, you would be better replacing it with a HID 12v lamp, which is as much a conversion as this is, only cheaper and much brighter and whiter than either lamp. Philips do a long life lamp in this range, 500 hrs and 1000hrs, they are around the same price as the original Fuji lamp, but last much much longer, and they are very reliable on those time figures, as I use them all the time for lighting fixtures, fit them and forget ..........

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 05:53 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Kind of HID 12V Lamp I must get?
Here in Germany I canīt buy it. And whatīs about the Ballast?
Is there a Flicker on the Screen?

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 06:44 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas, its a car headlamp upgrade kit, these can be bought on ebay, and they come with ballast, you need a stable power supply which I think you could make yourself, I bought a multi tap power supply that's used for cctv. No flicker on the screen that I could see, checked against the beaulieu it was nearly as bright in my 3 blade gs 1200, if you have a two blade shutter gs then it would probably be closer to it, very bright even white light, I used an old Fuji lamp reflector, and set up a good Fuji lamp against a wall to gauge spot size and even ness at the same distance, this was good enough.

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 10:51 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul!
I had a look on Ebay, but here in Germany you can only get 35W or 55W Xenon HID Kits but not 100W. It is not allowed here to drive with 100W Xenon in a Car Headlamp.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 02:57 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas, those are the correct one's, I used the 35 watt HID which was the only one available at the time, not sure how much more light output you would get from the 55 watt HID, but in my earlier post I'm referring to the 35 watt HID kits. Believe me this gives as much light as the Fuji and then some more, at 6400 kelvin. The fan in the GS 1200 is probably good enough to cool this setup too, if you could make a stable small power supply perhaps it could be made slim line enough to fit under the elmo between the feet like the xenon......

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC